Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl's stash: Identification and/or value questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that would have to be a post for the split window forum, as they would probably know better, and would even maybe try to talk you out of it as they wouldnt want to see the body be scrapped. might even give you a better offer! aha Wink

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoispammy8 wrote:
i would say that would have to be a post for the split window forum, as they would probably know better, and would even maybe try to talk you out of it as they wouldnt want to see the body be scrapped. might even give you a better offer! aha Wink

I agree, having a split myself that I'm beginning resto. work on. Hell, if I was in the area I would even help fix that bus so it would live on. The idea of someone pillaging that bus that Karl had for years makes me shudder. Karl was, as I'm sure you know, a pillar of this community and I would like to see his bus live on as a testament to his work and knowledge. As been stated before, get a camera and start loading pics. I have visions of backyard warehouses full of VW stuff. Did Karl have a method of organization or was it all inside his head where things were kept? Better yet, sell his stash and fix and drive his split. Best of both worlds. Karl's parts would live on across the country and the split would still reside with the family, where it belongs. just my .02. Correct me if I'm wrong Michelle, but don't you also own a bus? I say make the split yours. Very Happy

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so you know splts are far more valuable than bays and the price will reflect that don't let this guy hose you by playing up the fact that it's crunched a little , get some pics on here and talk to some of the split guys
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to post pics. Unless the damage is really bad, I doubt it should be parted out and/or cut up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry posted pictures online...let me see if I can find them.

Edit: Here you go...
http://www.vintagebus.com/gallery/section/sbyv16.html

I checked and if you click on the images, they will enlarge quite a bit.

I understand how you feel but I'm more sentimental towards the last one he drove. After that blue one got smashed, he bought another split window and drove it until the engine went out, a few weeks before his death. He couldn't sit still for anything and despite how sick he was, he was still out fiddling with things. The weekend before he died, he pulled the engine from the smashed 66 and was going to swap them out as his energy permitted. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get the job done. The good engine is still sitting in the driveway behind the bus. I intend to fix that one and keep it. It's the only one of the half-dozen buses that I'd like to hang onto.

I am not planning on asking in the other forum. Everett asked me to contain my requests to a single, ongoing thread. So, whatever suggestions you have will be just fine...I appreciate the help. Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's far from beyond repair IMO, especially for a pretty solid looking deluxe. As for a price? We'll need some current pictures, things can change alot in 5 years.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, aside from it sitting out in the weather for 2 years, without a driver's side door on it, it's not much different than what it looks like there. And considering the guy who wants it wants windows and taillight covers, the weather hasn't done too much damage to those parts.

Hmm...how about I go at it a little differently? The guy offered $350, plus what he'd get when he scrapped it, which he estimated to be another 80 bucks, roughly.

Unless you all tell me I'm getting totally ripped on this deal, I was planning on countering with $450 firm, and he could keep the scrap "refund." I really didn't want things to linger, waiting for the scrap money to trickle in. So, whatcha all think? Good, fair, horrible...?
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some current pics on the '66 our found in Karl's gallery on the second to last page.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$350 is more like only 1/10 (or less) of what it's worth.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad had a gallery??? LOL!

Seriously, thanks James...now how to I find just his photos?

jmstu76 wrote:
some current pics on the '66 our found in Karl's gallery on the second to last page.

Edit: Nevermind...blond moment here. I just found a link via his profile. (Does anyone else find it weird that I use his account and don't know this stuff, or talk in what seems like 3rd person? Gosh, to a new person coming in, I must sound like a schizophrenic. LOL!)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Karl

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you see the gallery button on the bottom of your posts?

i dont know if you can see it on your own - i dont have a gallery...

edit - i see you found it Embarassed
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the pictures James mentioned and although they were uploaded somewhat more recently, I don't believe they're too much more recent than those few Harry put up. However, they do show the damage more clearly...so even though they are old too, as well, they're indeed helpful.

rustbus wrote:
can you see the gallery button on the bottom of your posts?

Yes, yes! I do see it NOW! Funny!
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
Dad had a gallery??? LOL!

Seriously, thanks James...now how to I find just his photos?

jmstu76 wrote:

Edit: Nevermind...blond moment here. I just found a link via his profile. (Does anyone else find it weird that I use his account and don't know this stuff, or talk in what seems like 3rd person? Gosh, to a new person coming in, I must sound like a schizophrenic. LOL!)

haha, no problem, you learn something new everyday. And yes, at the bottom of each of your posts you will see a gallery button.

I also agree with Desertbusman that $350 is a joke of an offer. I paid $200 for a '78 bay that a huge oak tree fell on after a tornado. But I'm no splitty guy so I didn't want to comment.

I also understand the need to start moving stuff. My father passed away last December at age 57. He was an avid team roper, pilot, hunter, tennis player. It has been tough to get some of his stuff moved on to other people. Best of luck.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, I also see Dad put up pictures of the green buses when he uploaded the pictures of the 66. The green buses were a tragic loss. It's one thing to be driving and have something happen but these were innocently parked. He had two buses parked one in front of the other on the street. Someone slammed into the back of one and pushed it into the other. One accident, two wrecked buses. Ouch.

And on that note, I think one or both of those green buses are still around too...so we'll need to play this "How much is this worth?" game all over again with those.

So, back to the 66, do all of you feel that 350 or even 450 is way too low?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely with out doubt it is rediculously too low. It needs at least another zero behind that figure.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$350 is a joke but $3500 might be high for a wrecked Bus. It's hard to tell how complete it is from those 3 photos.

The front seats are worth a couple hundred just by themselves.

The doors alone, minus the wrecked one, could be worth $350 if they are not rusty.

The Deluxe trim is also worth a few hundred.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, even with no title the parts on it have value, please don't do a giveaway deal without some fresh pics here first.

Слава Україні!
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, all. Message received. Thank you. Smile

Alright, next one. Ready? LOL!

What is the value of jail bars? They is a whole set, hatch and two side window's worth, on the wrecked 66 and seem to be in great condition.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
There is some work involved in getting it all sorted out.

I suggest you inventory all the parts you have looking for part numbers on them if possible and create a list. Once you have a list, then post photos of the parts you cannot identify and we will help you. From there, browse the classifieds looking for "market prices". I think it will be a slow process if you ask for pricing on parts one-at-a-time. Best to post it in batches of 50 parts or so to get the most responses.

Regards,

Great idea.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: