Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl's stash: Identification and/or value questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
What is the value of jail bars? They is a whole set, hatch and two side window's worth, on the wrecked 66 and seem to be in great condition.

I have sold jail bars for $5 per rod and $5 per end in the past. A bit less when it's all packaged together. The center post for the rear window goes for about $20-$25.

Note that for all of your parts, you can get more money taking photos and posting them online in the classifieds here. You will probably have to accept less for an in-person deal.

You can also search jail bar in the classifieds here for some comparisons, although there seem to be less ads for jail bar pieces than normal.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did before I posted the question here. All I saw was a hatch set for a vanagon and something else that was not quite what I considered jail bars. Was there something else I missed?

EverettB wrote:

You can also search jail bar in the classifieds here for some comparisons, although there seem to be less ads for jail bar pieces than normal.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More ads (all categories so not 100% applicable):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=jail+bar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Transmission Reply with quote

How much is a used transmission worth? It's the 091 (091 301 103), 6 rib.

I've done some searching and have come up with a 400-700 range. BUT, I don't understand the difference between the tail and side switch.

Last edited by Karl on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
How much is a used transmission worth? It's the 091 (091 301 103), 6 rib.

4-750.00 is what I have seen them go for in the classifieds over the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, K. That's what I found too...I edited my post to reflect that but you got your reply in too quickly. LOL!

I guess what I really wanted to know was why there is a huge range in values for the same part. Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my initial post.
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuilt prices and unknown condition/might as well be core prices are what your seeing there

if you know it runs through all of the gears fine i'd shoot for the middle to upper end of that other wise mid to lower end, again it's a transmission so there are going to be alot of unknowns on that for you since you just don't know it's history.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
I guess what I really wanted to know was why there is a huge range in values for the same part. Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my initial post.

Keep in mind you are in Coos Bay....Sand Dune Capitol of the Coast. The sandrail boys will pay more for that 6-rib than any bus owner.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep in mind you are in Coos Bay....Sand Dune Capitol of the Coast. The sandrail boys will pay more for that 6-rib than any bus owner.

Absolutely right. I see them listed on Craigslist for $600+ regularly. You may want to call Ken at German Transaxle here in Bend. He sells a lot a 6-rib transmissions to the sandrail crowd for $1000+.

yuthi'so'coro
foxtail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things learned the hard way is don't buy the first one you see. Shop the whole classifieds I found it can save you a few dollars and when I am selling a part or parts I surf the whole classifieds before I price and also compare quality of the part.s

64 bug
64 bus
59 ghia
71 bus
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you two said that. That's exactly what this guy wants it for, his sandrail. He proposed buying one of the buses to convert it as well. But, that's another topic.

So, am I getting thoroughly ripped if I charge him 325?

patayres wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely right. I see them listed on Craigslist for $600+ regularly. You may want to call Ken at German Transaxle here in Bend. He sells a lot a 6-rib transmissions to the sandrail crowd for $1000+.

keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
It's funny you two said that. That's exactly what this guy wants it for, his sandrail. He proposed buying one of the buses to convert it as well. But, that's another topic.

So, am I getting thoroughly ripped if I charge him 325?

patayres wrote:
Quote:

Yes, unless your in dire straights and can't wait for a buyer who will pay fair market value/just want to give him a "deal" and be done with it. IMHO anyway...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called 2cd st. Auto (VW Shop) here in Coos Bay, and he said $500 for a core/maybe working 6rib. "Bug Germanators" is closed today.....but call them and ask tomorrow, they do sandrails. They are on Virginia st. just around the corner from me.

That's as Local as it gets.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. Are you suggesting I sell it to Second Street, or Bug Germinators? Or just trying to point out that I have sources for local pricing?

73kombi wrote:
I just called 2cd st. Auto (VW Shop) here in Coos Bay, and he said $500 for a core/maybe working 6rib. "Bug Germanators" is closed today.....but call them and ask tomorrow, they do sandrails. They are on Virginia st. just around the corner from me.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
I don't understand. Are you suggesting I sell it to Second Street, or Bug Germinators? Or just trying to point out that I have sources for local pricing?

73kombi wrote:

I read that as a similar trans in the local market is worth $500 minimum and more if it's tested. $325 is way too cheap IMO.

The side shift is for a 1980+ Vanagon, 76-79 bus use a nose shifter. I would think the nose shifter version would be more interesting/valuable for the sand set as the connections are easier.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:

It's "Germanators", and I really don't have a dog in the fight. I was only offering a local reference...It's not the kind of part you take down to the Post Office. I've met sandrail guys here that think a 6rib was created by GOD on the 8th day, or some such non-sense. Driving a bus here in North Bend/Coos Bay attracts the sandrail boys asking, "Do you have a 6rib in there"? I'm serious.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

$325 is way too cheap IMO.

Assuming it is a functional used unit; I'd agree. I wouldn't let it go for less than $500; unless it is to a friend or something like that.

Last edited by mattcuddy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Karl wrote:

It's "Germanators", and I really don't have a dog in the fight. I was only offering a local reference...It's not the kind of part you take down to the Post Office. I've met sandrail guys here that think a 6rib was created by GOD on the 8th day, or some such non-sense. Driving a bus here in North Bend/Coos Bay attracts the sandrail boys asking, "Do you have a 6rib in there"? I'm serious.

Yeah, it's not just there it's all over the country... shipping in your situation may be a hassle... posting it local on CL or calling around local shops that Shawn has listed might net you more than 325.00 even for a CORE, that's a GIVE AWAY price. But you gotta do what you gotta do to move a part these days.

I guess the general concensus may be that a 091 6 rib is worth more to the right person if the time is right.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You might contact those local shops and see what they will offer you for the transmission. Make them aware up front that you know what unknown cores are worth ($500+). These shops buy cores, rebuild them, and sell them to the sandrailers for a nice profit.

yuthi'so'coro
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Driving a bus here in North Bend/Coos Bay attracts the sandrail boys asking, "Do you have a 6rib in there"? I'm serious.

Hey, how come they don't ask me that?? I'm feeling a little left out here. LOL!

So, any of those guys who think the 091 was an 8th day creation want a transmission? I happen to have one sitting in my garage.

Seriously though, thanks guys. I appreciate your helpful opinions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: