Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hacking the Digifant ECU
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1fa wrote:
might as well go with microsquirt, and save yourself a headache or two?

I saved all headaches going with a subaru EJ22 with OBD2 Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer not helping edgood.
Smile
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minsk wrote:
yer not helping edgood.
Smile

I should just clarify as to not sound like a complete jerk.

I just meant that I abandoned my digifant arduino development due to the fact that I abandoned the waterboxer platform altogether.

Maybe if I get another van I'll put it in that one before I swap its motor out Smile.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: i can see why you have abandoned Reply with quote

since the ecu uses motorola mc6811fn ic's and its expanded mode ic mc68hc25 . these are no longer supported by motorola ( or manufactured) and the programing software code warrior (motorola's package) is no longer supported for these ic's. there are some 3rd party software vendors that still provide IDE software the only one that is reasonable in price is imagecraft.
i havent been able to dump the memory of the ecu to look at the program, i think this is due to the design of motorola's software protection firmware that is implemented on the cpu. iwas thinking of contacting vw and see if they would be interested in allowing the porting of the existing cpu program to a newer motorola version. and possibly add some new features. i do have an almost completed schematic of the two boards.
1990 vw automatic camper
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been here in a while. There is no embedded code in the 6811 processor itself - it is all contained in the eprom. The MC68HC25 is used to make more input/outputs available while still being able to access the external eprom. I have a copy of the eprom file that Steve sent me if anyone wants a copy - email me at donstarr at shaw.ca

I use a program called IDAPro to disassemble the code. Once you have it formatted and commented to your liking, you can create an asm file. I then modify it slightly to work with a free program called MiniIDE which can re-assemble the code to a binary. Once this process is complete, you can then add and or modify the code to your suit your needs. My neighbour next door has a Syncro van that I hope to buy one day. If I do, then I will see what I can do with the code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I use an Innovate LC1 ("Lambda Cable") running a WBO2 sensor in place of the stock narrowband. It switches on with the ignition and runs the WB constantly. The LC1 has two programmable analog outputs. Those are fed to the two pins of a tiny SPDT relay, which is triggered by a vacuum switch, set at about 3"Hg off the plenum. The single pole of the relay is fed into the ECU's O2 input wire.

So the signal switches between the two analog outputs depending on engine load. In essence you only need two mixtures: cruise and full load. In practice it's nice to have scaling between them, but you and the engine would probably never notice the difference.

So channel 1 is programmed to emulate a narrowband signal but centered around some lean mixture value of my choice, and channel two is programmed for a rich full-load mixture. I have mine going at about 15.8:1 cruise and 12.6:1 load, but I've run at as lean as 18:1 for months and with that the engine runs really nice at cruise and you do see a substantial improvement in mileage, a couple mpg better.

Sorry for the zombie thread resurrection!

I'm about to get started tinkering with an Innovate LC2, and I noticed the analog outputs are preconfigured for 0-5V analog output.. is this something you changed to 0-1V output, so it's compatible with the Digijet/Digifant O2 signal?

I'm also looking into the possibility of having a simple arduino board relay the MTS Serial protocol frames over bluetooth. Eventually a simple iOS/Android app could decode the frames and display relevant info about the Wideband, and the operating conditions. Until then, I'll stick with a multimeter or analog gauge displaying one of the output channels.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhorob wrote:

I'm about to get started tinkering with an Innovate LC2, and I noticed the analog outputs are preconfigured for 0-5V analog output.. is this something you changed to 0-1V output, so it's compatible with the Digijet/Digifant O2 signal?

Circling back to answer my own question..

Out of the box, the second analog output (brown) is factory configured to emulate a regular 1-wire oxygen sensor. Crimp on a connector to match the old O2 sensor wire from the harness, and plug 'er in!

The required calibration can be done without connecting to a PC, and worked perfectly for me.
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who has the copy of the eeprom? i need two things out of it...

injector dead time and voltage compensation constant, please
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update on something I have been working on:
1) I obtained a copy of the binary from a Vanagon ECU (025 905 022 D)
2) I have disassembled the code
3) created a file I can run in a motorola 6811 simulator
4) added code to output ram variables similar to what i have done on Digifant 1 for my Passat Syncro

I have purchased a Digifant 025 905 022 D ECU to test my code in the real world.

Once that is done, I will be able to create some files for a program called TunerPro so realtime information can be seen while the Van is running.

This is a video of what is possible:
http://members.shaw.ca/tunerpro/Video/Dave.avi
(right mouse click on link and "save link as" to save video to your computer to be able to watch)

The benefit is being able to troubleshoot issues like:
1) idle switch adjustement
2) coolant sensor
3) O2 sensor
etc.

Is this something Vanagon owners with original engine would be interested in? I don't even own one of these, but I have plans to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I would definitely be interested in this for the right price.
How would you interface to the ECU?

DigiMatrix wrote:
Here is an update on something I have been working on:
1) I obtained a copy of the binary from a Vanagon ECU (025 905 022 D)
2) I have disassembled the code
3) created a file I can run in a motorola 6811 simulator
4) added code to output ram variables similar to what i have done on Digifant 1 for my Passat Syncro

I have purchased a Digifant 025 905 022 D ECU to test my code in the real world.

Once that is done, I will be able to create some files for a program called TunerPro so realtime information can be seen while the Van is running.

This is a video of what is possible:
http://members.shaw.ca/tunerpro/Video/Dave.avi
(right mouse click on link and "save link as" to save video to your computer to be able to watch)

The benefit is being able to troubleshoot issues like:
1) idle switch adjustement
2) coolant sensor
3) O2 sensor
etc.

Is this something Vanagon owners with original engine would be interested in? I don't even own one of these, but I have plans to.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested.
Need to see it work.
Approx cost?
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1vw4x4 wrote:
Nice work. I would definitely be interested in this for the right price.
How would you interface to the ECU?

Interface to the ECU is via the SCI port on the processor - I need to check that it is wired to the ECU connector. It is on pin 20 on the G60 Digifant ECU. From there, a simple interface allows it to be connected to a serial port on a laptop. A serial to USB adapter will also work but they are more trouble.

A far as cost, I am not sure right now. I need to get my ECU (in the mail) and ensure that what I want to do will work. Like I said I already have the code written and tested on the simulator, just need to prove it in the real world.

FYI, using TunerPro, with a XDF file set up, mapping of the Fuel, timing and more can be done. Using the output from the diagnostics chip allows you to data trace the maps in real time. If you buy an Ostrich2 emulator from Moats.net, you can modify the maps on the fly while the engine is running.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving forward. I now have my "D" version ECU and will be checking the circuit board. If it checks out I will load a diagnostics binary this weekend and see if I can get data out. I will post my results as soon as I can.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of memory chip is used in the ecu???? Just wondering I used to make memory chips, EEPROM, PROM etc.. what technology is used?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
what type of memory chip is used in the ecu???? Just wondering I used to make memory chips, EEPROM, PROM etc.. what technology is used?

It uses a LD 2764-25 EPROM with uv window.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is an update:
The Vanagon digifant ECU (025 906 022 D does support data out of pin 20 on the ECU with code changes.
I wrote the code changes and tested today. I did find something interesting - a few years back I got a file from stevey88 on this board for the "D" version ECU and the chip was a 2764 chip. On the ECU I just purchased, it had a 27C256 chip in it. The code was exactly the same, just placed differently in the chip and has a different part number on the chip.

Picture of my ECU:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture of my test setup using an emulator as well as an interface from pin 20 to serial port of computer.

I only had the ECU hooked up to a 12 V power supply as I don't own a van. I had my other lab power supply hooked up to the O2 sensor input which you can see in the video below (crappy video):

http://members.shaw.ca/tunerpro/Video/Vanagon.mp4
Watch closely and you can see the O2 values changing.

This worked first try as I was able to test on a simulator prior to loading the program real world. Next I need to try on a running Van.
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be a nice setup to check a lot of things. Although it looks
as if we will have to open up the existing ECU or have a special ECU that
can temporarily replace the existing unit. I can easily handle this but I'm
sure this is something the average vanagon owner is going to do.
I think I'm going to check this out on a few ECU's I have laying around...

DigiMatrix wrote:
Ok here is an update:
The Vanagon digifant ECU (025 906 022 D does support data out of pin 20 on the ECU with code changes.
I wrote the code changes and tested today. I did find something interesting - a few years back I got a file from stevey88 on this board for the "D" version ECU and the chip was a 2764 chip. On the ECU I just purchased, it had a 27C256 chip in it. The code was exactly the same, just placed differently in the chip and has a different part number on the chip.

Picture of my ECU:

Picture of my test setup using an emulator as well as an interface from pin 20 to serial port of computer.

I only had the ECU hooked up to a 12 V power supply as I don't own a van. I had my other lab power supply hooked up to the O2 sensor input which you can see in the video below (crappy video):

http://members.shaw.ca/tunerpro/Video/Vanagon.mp4
Watch closely and you can see the O2 values changing.

This worked first try as I was able to test on a simulator prior to loading the program real world. Next I need to try on a running Van.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well dream a bit, sequential injectors??
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, all it will take is a new chip and an interface. The interface is connected with 2 wires, one to pin 20 of the ECU, and the other to a +12 volt supply.

The modified chip can stay in your ECU at all times - does not affect normal operation. I have been thinking about the possibility of making the interface have bluetooth capability, so connection to a device (laptop or other device) is possible. Some owners might want to have this running all the time.

I think the only issue is you have to have the later "D" ECU. Chip size doesn't matter - 2764 or 27c256.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Might as well dream a bit, sequential injectors??

Not possible with this ECU, plus to make it happen, you need a crank sensor. If you want that, you might as well go megasquirt or something like that.

Digifant 3 or 3.2 supports that, but again the conversion is not for the faint of heart.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: