Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Post Your Roof Rack Setup
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea for those running gutter mounts with round cross bars:
My neighbour found some small ribbed vacuum hose that barely fits over the bar and sheathed the bar in it. Now it pads the bar and bungee or ratchet strap hooks stay put. I know I've seen black stuff the right size in bulk, but damned if I remember where.!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: racks Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Blue Bay Bus Have two sets of thule racks. The basket in front and two bars in back with solar 140 watts and bike rack. With a sunroof it is real easy to get to all. The basket has my chair and high lift, and then anything I can take camping. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our roof rack set up. Custom made aluminum rack with steel gutter mounted cross members, 4 Hella lights, 2 Thule bike mounts.

It's for sale. See classified.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1386240
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
rholmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: soft rack options? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with soft racks for surfboards? I am wondering if soft racks for gutterless roofs would work? I like the idea of only having them on when I need them. I want to carry surfboards and/or SUP boards. This is for a 2003 Weekender.

Thanks.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler wrote:
Just mounted Yakima gear on the roof this afternoon and wanted to post some photos for those of you considering the tracks rather than raingutter mounts. I had a similar setup on a pickup camper and like the idea of being able to change the position of the bars for sea kayaks, baskets, etc. I also like the idea of using the tracks to mount a solar panel, as WhynotVW has done.

epaddler , What length are those tracks? I see Yakima offers 42" and 54" lengths... Did you have to shorten them in order to fit the Westfalia roof?

Thanks.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

epaddler , What length are those tracks? I see Yakima offers 42" and 54" lengths... Did you have to shorten them in order to fit the Westfalia roof?

Thanks.

Can't be 42 inches, that would be narrower than the roof and his pics show some overhang.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
HoustonPhotog wrote:

Thanks.

Can't be 42 inches, that would be narrower than the roof and his pics show some overhang.

Actually I meant the flat tracks themselves that are mounted to the fiberglass roof that run front to back. I think you're talking about the round tube rails that run from left to right of the van.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
Red Beard wrote:
HoustonPhotog wrote:

Thanks.

Actually I meant the flat tracks themselves that are mounted to the fiberglass roof that run front to back. I think you're talking about the round tube rails that run from left to right of the van.

Sorry, my bad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Camp&Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakima Rack w/Canoe guides/solar panel setup and alternate between "roof coffin" & cargo basket (in photo). Usually have a hitch-based NorthshoreRacks.com rack on w/ bikes, but not in this pic.

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronicity wrote:
Here is our roof rack set up. Custom made aluminum rack with steel gutter mounted cross members, 4 Hella lights, 2 Thule bike mounts.

It's for sale. See classified.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1386240
Dang, I missed that you had it up for sale. That rack is sweet. It even supports the full weight of Hippy Teen Wolfmen while surfing the Moab swells.....

Syncronicity wrote:
jahbah (Dustin) prepping for Syncro Surfing @ Secret Spire during Syncro Sandblast.

carterzest wrote:
Syncro Vanagon Surfing Teen Wolf@ Syncro Sandblast 2012, Moab, UT

Link

Let the games begin Laughing

No one was injured in the above video. In fact, Syncronicity is a first responder.....so, what could go wrong Smile

dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww yea.. I cant wait to put this module back on. I added 4 hydraulic rams to help it up..

Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little tough to see, but this a 8' x 5' roof basket made by con-ferr, now out of business. Yakima sky box inside the basket and to one side.

I actually took the giant basket off and went back to simple cross bars because it was costing me 1-2MPG.

Diamond Rax http://www.diamondrax.com/) is the new interation of con-ferr, the racks are heavy duty and good quality, but pricey.
DeezUU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I carry the longboards...

(cause there is just not enough room inside!! Laughing )

kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
Aww yea.. I cant wait to put this module back on. I added 4 hydraulic rams to help it up..

I have the same packasport,as well as the same roof bar setup...how are you going to deal with the difference in the cutouts on the bottom of the box vs. the wider spacing of your bars?

I love my packasport,just cant figure out how to mount it easily?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I reused the two in the front, adding a third rear.. using a marker, centering on the panels mainly.. then I used two long 78" bars, used carriage SS bolts and assembled the cross and long runners, then bolted to the bottom of the packasport.. it wasn't easy.. and it takes three guys to put that up without nicking anything.. two if me and a certain buddy.. its easier with three people though.. Course I should weigh the sucker before/after... but its a good amount of weight, the packasport weighs 90lbs by itself. I weighed out whether I could mount a solar panel to a thule, but the plastic just wasn't as secure as the Packasport and I love how the solar panel and rack came together. I did use 4 gate hinges, hammering the front hinges so they don't crack the packasport, due to the curvature, but I found the optimal spot, allowing minor downforce.. and then welded some 1" steel into a tee, and then have a lower mount, and a tee tab that allow a installable strut/spacer, so you can kick the panel horizontal when the topper is up. I took 1/4 inch steel rod, and welded it to a allen bolt.. cleaned em up and painted them, welded the nuts into the brackets, so no guesswork, wandering hardware.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

Is that a sunroof in your cargo basket? Any other pics of it? Or the install?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Sundoctor.com 20x32.. its so choice, I highly recommend it. If you do a search its pretty well discussed, chided.. but far awesomer than I expected.. enhances the driveability.. kinda like being in the sidewinder cockpit in the Millenium falcon.

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Dubbified/media/ca...3&o=53 has some pictures..
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This catches a lot of wind, but I sure like all the room! Laughing

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got three Yakama bars on my tin top roof, raingutter mounted.

If your yak rack bars make too much wind noise Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad , try moving the front most bar back at least a couple feet back from the front of the van Idea Idea .

When I moved my front bar back from the front, the loud whistle noise that had plagued my Yakama Racks at freeway speeds disappeared Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Exclamation Exclamation

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
It is a Sundoctor.com 20x32.. its so choice, I highly recommend it. If you do a search its pretty well discussed, chided.. but far awesomer than I expected.. enhances the driveability.. kinda like being in the sidewinder cockpit in the Millenium falcon.

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Dubbified/media/ca...3&o=53 has some pictures..

Muy gracias, hermano.

I NEED that. Sorry stock lovers. Hilarious, I just realized I posted in that thread. Smile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: