Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Sycnro RIP
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear about this, and of course glad everyone is alright.

You may recall that a couple of years ago my Westy was split in half by a huge tree that fell across my driveway. I spent a couple of months fighting with the insurance company, which started off offering me about $3k and settled at about $13k after giving me several "final offers" along the way. PM me if you have similar problems and need any advice. It seems to vary dramatically depending on the insurance company.

I was heartbroken. I felt like I had lost an old friend. My daughter (now 11) had camped in that Westy since she was a baby. And I was sure I'd never find another in the great condition at a price I could afford. Lo and behold, six months later, a pristine Westy fell into my lap with 40k miles on the clock, for less than the insurance company had paid me for my old Westy with 150k miles. So miracles do happen! Don't get discouraged - this could have a happy ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WernerInSacto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! It's amazing you're alive!

I've had a bit of experience with insurance companies so here are some thoughts.

The general approach here is to get as much information as possible together before you go into negotiations.

Get the police report that clearly points to the other driver as being at fault -- I'm assuming the other driver was insured and whatever negotiating you will be doing will be with the other driver's insurance company. This should be the first item in your package of information.

Take enough pictures, inside and outside, to show the extent of the damage.

Get a series of examples of Syncro Westies for sale and sold. Two places to start for comparable value -- what you'll need to pay for a good condition replacement syncro westy -- is gowesty.com and http://www.poptopheaven and westfalia.org

Given the magnitude of your damage you may want to consider what hidden health damage you might have. Some things don't arise right away and you took a massive hit.

Good luck with your negotiations.
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other small detail that can help you, is if you are entitled to a rental car make sure and get it and if the insurance allows it, get a rental car that is comparable to what you had. My old State Farm insurance allowed me to do this and they have a lot more incentive to settle if they are paying a few hundred dollars a week on a rental for you.

Stand your ground and know a realistic amount that will make you feel OK.

So glad no one was hurt. That is amazing.

Craig
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"glad to hear everyone and even the dogs are ok!!(they don't get seatbelts, poor guys!) "

Restraints for pets do exist but most folks don't mess with 'em. When we owned a convertible my wife insisted that our old dog Giles be "belted" in with his harness designed to have the seatbelt pass through it so he could buckle up along with us. Not a full restraint but better than nothing.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had to make a claim on my totaled 89 Westy, the insurance company wasn't really interested in my information. It was really a very amiable process for me. They gave me a number at first which I said no. They asked me how much I thought it was worth and I told them 16-18K. The guy almost choked and said we can't come up with anything close to that. We agreed to get an appraiser to do an estimate. I gave the appraiser a copy of all my receipts and some comps to give him an idea of current value and he came back with a fair quote of $16.5K. I bought it back for $800 and parted it out for $3k. It was all very civil and trouble free.

As Ron indicated, I found a better van with newer engine and tranny for less than I was paid. It all worked out for me too. I suggest you just stay civil and hopefully they will treat you fairly. Let them know right up front how much you will be expecting so the games are minimized. Go the appraiser route and you should be treated fairly. Good luck!

Last edited by PDXWesty on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar experience with Erie Insurance in Maryland when I lost my '87 Westy to an engine fire. Stick to your guns, make them get an appraiser involved. Hopefully you'll get a fair value. I did.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
"glad to hear everyone and even the dogs are ok!!(they don't get seatbelts, poor guys!) "

Restraints for pets do exist but most folks don't mess with 'em. When we owned a convertible my wife insisted that our old dog Giles be "belted" in with his harness designed to have the seatbelt pass through it so he could buckle up along with us. Not a full restraint but better than nothing.

yeah i've never seen that, it just always worries me about the pets becuase it seems they can get tossed very easily like a child or something, as they are always just roaming around the cabin and have no sort of protection, some how i don't think my bay window would have stood up so well, lol

again glad all the people are alright too! Wink
Dr.Dub13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much love goin out. Glad your ok.
My pops just went thru this with his syncro non westy. He made money on the deal by saying no and pointing the adjuster to the few websites mentioned above. Good luck and keep us updated.
Like a star shinin bright in the darkest night

pyrOman wrote:
M lukin fr ditionary or speil chk!?! Confused

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Wow, i'll be checking my nuts tonight for sure.
jilliebear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Such a tragedy (but with a good outcome?) Reply with quote

Yes, is it possible for something to be sooo terribly bad and yet so good too? I second all the posts here that have commented upon the fact that you, your wife and your dog are all safe and sound. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to be your wife and watching all this happen right in front of my eyes! How horrific!

It brought me to tears thinking about your relief that your beloved pooch was sitting on the passenger seat next to you rather than being on the bench seat in back. I bring my dogs up in the front on occasion to keep me company and who knows when the timing would be just right. I LOVE dogs, so I'm very happy he nor you were injured.

I travel Hwy 20 all the time myself, being from Corvallis and having both business and weekend pleasures bringing me to and from Newport. I've seen and heard of bad crashes on that road time after time and it's never without caution now that I take the road seriousy and have my wits about me. It sounds like you totally had your head in the right place in order to see it coming and be able to think on the spot and respond.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the support for you here. It sounds like you will get what you need from others in terms of guidance with the insurance process. Just keep your wits about you just like you did on the road and it will all come out okay. Here's hoping another Syncro is on its way to you as we speak! We're all waiting to hear the good that comes from this awful accident.

Jilliebear, now in Salem, Oregon
(new to Samba.com)
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you and the pup were not injured. The pics are quite impressive. I hope the driver that hit you was also okay and not intoxicated while asleep behind the wheel.

I bet you could sell the carcass of your van to GoWesty if the insurance will let you buy it back. Lots of other good vans out there, but sad to see another Syncro camper bite the dust.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: