Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Bushing removal tool...(just for you Keith)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Starter Bushing removal tool...(just for you Keith) Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
Be sure to change the starter bushing sooner than later Wink

Well how many of us own one of these?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not me! My choice in the toolbox? 12"x3/8" socket extension and a hammer! (It just fit perfect)

Keep in mind this is a one way decision, there is no turning back...It drives in pretty solid, and after I hooked up the ratchet, pulling back while turning, it came out pretty easy! Smile
Missing in this next pic is the MOST important tool...the paper towel in the bell housing to keep the pieces from falling in...I didn't have a mirror so used the camera to "see"

Same tool (reversed) for the install...tapping slow and steady.

It was amazing the difference in the I.D. from the old and new bushings.
That starter and bushing had seen 3 engines come and go, it was hard to say goodbye...(think Marley and Me)...but Bessie let me know, "it was time".

but for $39.99 (lifetime warranty + 2 years roadside+no sales tax), it was Hello China, goodbye Bosch...

Last edited by 73kombi on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props for getting around to it sooner than later Shawn!.

Now about that starter... be sure to keep your David Bowie "China Girl" on the playlist for the proper moment Laughing Wink

I still prefer to use a tap to thread through and extract the bushing so it can't accidently fall in the bell housing but the paper towel trick is a good one.

And I have a particular thin walled 10mm socket I use to gently drift the new bushing in place.

More than one way to do this job for sure. The important thing is is BE DONE... especially when installing a new starter.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
Now about that starter... be sure to keep your David Bowie "China Girl" on the playlist for the proper moment Laughing Wink

I'll be the first to revive this thread when my lease needs renewal! I'm not easily ashamed ...Wink

I'm still running the ball joints that I saved with a hypodermic needle back in '06... (IIRC the consensus was I ruined my boots)

Plus Schuck's is giving me another 'free' CV axle tomorrow...I noticed a crack in one of my boots during the starter swap, they just said, "We'll have it in by 9am"! I'm the exception to their 'lifetime' guarantee rule...I abuse it!

keifernet wrote:
I still prefer to use a tap to thread through and extract the bushing so it can't accidently fall in the bell housing but the paper towel trick is a good one.

I'm still 1800 miles from the bottom half of my roll away...I didn't plan on using any taps or dies when I hit the road. It was a choice of, "what can I cram in this thing and tear it out"...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: