Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Variable intermittent windshield wipers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this being such a good mod, I am surprised that the usual vendors don't seem to sell the 3B0 955 531 relay. I am just in the process of putting together a VC order and certainly would add this to my list if they offered it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
With this being such a good mod, I am surprised that the usual vendors don't seem to sell the 3B0 955 531 relay. I am just in the process of putting together a VC order and certainly would add this to my list if they offered it.

Makes sense to me.

FWIW, I got my relay from the Mk3 (early 90's) I got engine swap parts from.

Same part here AFAIK.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Body/337/3

Pic

http://www.germanautoparts.com/images/7607a6e2133353535393032433/s

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new variable speed wiper relay a year ago and have never gotten it to work. I have tried both techniques mentioned in this thread to set the delay, but neither have worked. The relay is installed in an 83 1/2 model. Any ideas? I have never tried moving it over to my 91 to see if it would work there.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: variable wiper relay Reply with quote

Wildthings, which relay did you get and where from? What part number? I've seen some threads where people say that there are a few other relays that will work; I've only heard confirmation of two from other VWs. I have some used ones for sale for $17.50 shipped.

Ed in CT
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of related, if your intermittent feature is..well.. intermittent, the culprit could be the wiper control stalk assembly.

The characteristics of a failure in this part are

(a) wipers will not self-park
(b) wipers will not operate in intermittent setting

My wipers will not self park or work in intermittent 98% of the time. I have learned over time that if I bang on the steering wheel during a Neal Peart drum solo, I can get both functions to work for a few moments, so I knew the problem was in the steering column. Pulled the steering wheel and removed the turn signal and wiper stalk assemblies. Both showed wear and gunk build up on the various sliding contact points.

Okay - don't do what I did. Embarassed I got a little too happy/aggressive cleaning around in there, and managed to pop the arm up too much. There's a couple of little ball detent mechanisms in there that, through the power of being spring-loaded, shoot small unfindable parts into dark corners of your garage. Next thing you know, you wipers don't work at all until the new $65 wiper stalk assembly shows up from Van-Cafe.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:

1. They might not know about them..
2. They may not think there is much of a market..
2. and they need to be competitive in pricing. So if they can't find a wholesaler who can source a small number at competitive prices then it makes no sense to stock them..

My guess is it may be a little of each.

But if you use the "contact" feature on VC's site you can make the suggestion.. Peter and Chris are always looking for new ideas/products and they might welcome this suggestion.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I picked up a new variable speed wiper relay a year ago and have never gotten it to work. I have tried both techniques mentioned in this thread to set the delay, but neither have worked. The relay is installed in an 83 1/2 model. Any ideas? I have never tried moving it over to my 91 to see if it would work there.

Might sound silly, but when I first tried the relay I found I was pulling on the stalk incorrectly. When in the intermittent mode I would pull the stalk as if to initiate the washer, but I was inadvertently pulling UP and momentarily switching from intermittent to the off position. This would cause the wipers to freeze for a second, and not respond to the timer function. I found by pulling the stalk down and back that the function works perfectly. Maybe worth a try if nothing else.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

But if you use the "contact" feature on VC's site you can make the suggestion.. Peter and Chris are always looking for new ideas/products and they might welcome this suggestion.

So I sent Van Cafe an e-mail today asking about the relay and just got a reply. The relay will be available on their site by sometime tomorrow!
Van Cafe and the Samba rock!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: variable wiper relay Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
Wildthings, which relay did you get and where from? What part number? I've seen some threads where people say that there are a few other relays that will work; I've only heard confirmation of two from other VWs. I have some used ones for sale for $17.50 shipped.

Ed in CT

It has the part number 60 201 001/12V preceded by some symbol without meaning to me. Says "Made in Tunisia". I picked if up from Halsey Imports in Portland, OR, I paid a pretty hefty price if I remember correctly.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: variable wiper relay Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
erdonline wrote:

Ed in CT

It has the part number 60 201 001/12V preceded by some symbol without meaning to me. Says "Made in Tunisia". I picked if up from Halsey Imports in Portland, OR, I paid a pretty hefty price if I remember correctly.

Halsey sold me the same damn one and I couldn't figure it out either. Then I lost the receipt before I could return it. Mad

You could call them up and ask if there is a magic trick to making it work. I don't think so though - not for that one.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe now stocks the KAE relay. $36.50
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1193_1369/programmable_intermittent_wiper_relay.html
The SAMBA even gets a mention (and a link) in the description.
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read this thread, I didn't really 'get' how cool this was.

I was out at the Pick 'nPull in Moss Landing on Wednesday, and met a fellow Samba member for the first time...Sycrodoka. He was kind enough to give me a Bosch 99 variable relay.

Today was the first day that there was rain to really try it out. What a difference it is being able to adjust the wiper speed to the conditions! Totally cool mod! Thanks, SD!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was such great information that I had to do it. Got my relay delivered yesterday and just pluged it in and WOW it works as stated.

Got the relay off ebay. "Bought it now" on friday and was at my home on monday. Only $14.00 plus $5.00 for shipping teriffic!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a chance to try mine out for the first time last night. This rocks! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a bit confused. My 85 weekender didn't come with a manual and I don't have the directions to operate the wiper controls.
From what it seems, if I pull back on the lever the washer hits the front windshield. If I push it back towards the dash that starts the rear wiper. The only other two positions are either 1 click up or 2 clicks up. One is moderate speed the other is really fast.
How do I get them into this so called intermittent mode? And now I'll instert the embarrased face emoticon. Embarassed

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
So I'm a bit confused. My 85 weekender didn't come with a manual and I don't have the directions to operate the wiper controls.
From what it seems, if I pull back on the lever the washer hits the front windshield. If I push it back towards the dash that starts the rear wiper. The only other two positions are either 1 click up or 2 clicks up. One is moderate speed the other is really fast.
How do I get them into this so called intermittent mode? And now I'll instert the embarrased face emoticon. Embarassed

Not sure about pre-'86 vans, but on my '89 Westy, intermittent is downward, towards your knees.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:

That's alright, I didn't learn how to run the rear wiper for six months after I had the van. Embarassed

The intermittent mode is one click down as Rhinoculips stated. Depending upon the relay you end up with (there are two versions as I understand it) there are two methods for initiating the timing function.

I can't overstate how great this has been. The ability to set the delay is even more user friendly than the version in my later model Jeep with power everything. If you live in a wet area - PNWers - this is something you shouldn't pass on. Seriously.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the "99" relay lurk on junkyard rigs? Under the dash somewhere? Under the hood?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusebox, just like the vanagon.
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up at the Calgary Pick your Part last week - must have looked in 4-5 Passats, 15 jettas and golfs... but there it was in the last passat I was going to look in on the way out... $2.99

Funny thing is almost every VW in there had all the relays pulled out - most lying on the floor.

WW

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
1969 auto stick beetle - The "Dolphin" bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: