Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Variable intermittent windshield wipers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a .99 relay out of a Passat at the Pig a Part : $2.50

Have not installed it yet

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat!

I sure was wishing I had variable speed wipers on out 1000mile trip last week.

will be hunting for a relay.
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: 19 to 99 relay Reply with quote

Found a 99 relay in a '96 Jetta just as I was giving up on other needed parts today at the junkyard. A Jetta wasn't on the list but desperate to not go home empty-handed, I pulled it.

$6....plus a $1 entry fee into the yard. I though $6 for a relay was kinda pricey for a junkyard...but still a lot cheaper than ordering it.

Replaced the 19 relay as soon as I got back to the bus and tested with the wiper fluid. Seems to work great!

More detail on the day posted to the 'what I did today' thread in a bit.
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered my relay, this should be a sticky!

edit: works perfect!!

Last edited by BlackDogVan on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.
Just got an E=mail from a fellow Samba member that it was in the mail.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
So I'm a bit confused. My 85 weekender didn't come with a manual and I don't have the directions to operate the wiper controls.
From what it seems, if I pull back on the lever the washer hits the front windshield. If I push it back towards the dash that starts the rear wiper. The only other two positions are either 1 click up or 2 clicks up. One is moderate speed the other is really fast.
How do I get them into this so called intermittent mode? And now I'll instert the embarrased face emoticon. Embarassed

I saw something somewhere about how the stalk switches installed without the intermittent relay are actually the same switch, that there is a stop pin of sorts that can be removed and then you get the extra downward click position that closes the intermittent trigger switch. Maybe hunt around for this article or I'm sure someone here is aware of it and can point you in the right direction.

I found two of the 99 units in junkers at my last (and final, boo hoo) visit to Discount AP in Burque. Funny thing is they are the same P/N but one is short and the other tall. I still haven't mastered the art of setting the interval but I haven't fiddled with it much.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works !!

I finally plugged it in and tested it. The wife loves it, anticipating a trip to the Olympic Peninsula, as around here, well, rain well
Sad Sad Sad Sad

Best mod I ever made for the price. Cannot even get a decent cigar for $2.50. Sad

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I saw something somewhere about how the stalk switches installed without the intermittent relay are actually the same switch, that there is a stop pin of sorts that can be removed and then you get the extra downward click position that closes the intermittent trigger switch.

My 86 Canadian Syncro Westy did not require any modification. It already had an intermittent position by moving the stalk down one click. My 85 2WD US model Westy also behaves that way, down click the stalk gives intermittent wiper action.

I installed the .99 relay, and when I want to set the interval what I do is very simple

1. turn on the intermittent wiper by moving the lever down, then turn it off by raising the lever.

2. When I want the wiper to come on again, based on how fast the windshield is getting covered with water, I move the stalk down again to the intermittent position. That sets the interval.. too easy..
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My remark was about even earlier switches, that only have three wiper positions as installed (off, low, high). These apparently have the fourth position already, but it is disabled mechanically. It can be enabled by removing a stop pin. Or so I've read. Perhaps someone knows a link to this info.

Thanks for the explanation on operation. I've seen it explained at least three different ways, but like I said, I really haven't played with it much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: old wiper switch without intermittent setting, see Bentley manual, page 94.4

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com

Last edited by ragnarhairybreeks on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. Thanks!

keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, now where is a junkyard in Portland where I can swag this 99 relay?
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a relay 955 531 B off of ebay (from someone here I think?) and it has a 198 on the top.

It seems variable but I cant figure out how to program it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Variable wipers Reply with quote

Also do not forget the Hella Rain Sensor kit . It has a an optical window that glue on to the glass on the inside . It is connected with a wire which hooks to a relay which replaces the #19 relay.
To operate it you put the switch in the delay position and then when it rains the wipers come on and off by themselves . Most new cars have this either as an option or standard equipment . I had it on my 85 and never re-
installed it on my 89 . While it is on my list of things to do ,it is a simple hook up and works well .

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Variable wipers Reply with quote

Also do not forget the Hella Rain Sensor kit . It has a an optical window that glue on to the glass on the inside . It is connected with a wire which hooks to a relay which replaces the #19 relay.
To operate it you put the switch in the delay position and then when it rains the wipers come on and off by themselves . Most new cars have this either as an option or standard equipment . I had it on my 85 and never re-
installed it on my 89 . While it is on my list of things to do ,it is a simple hook up and works well .

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried 2 different 99 relays in my 87 syncro and can't get the delay to change no matter what I do... Anyone have a pinout diagram of what the different terminals do/are ?

Thanks
Bob
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the p&p with a "99" relay in my pocket......I poped the little white stopper out of the wiper switch and installed the new relay. Works like a charm. Now, if it would only rain........
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops looks like GoWesty has been listening, they sell the relay also now- http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23320&category_id=253&category_parent_id=
The junk yard route is still a lot cheaper.
I have 2 that I am willing to give away to a good home at SDM for free.
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting into this old thread because the search doesn't return anything definitive. To help future searches:

The 198 relay will work in the same way as the 99 does. I just got one of each from the junk yard, and tried them both in my 89 Westy. They work both the same way: set wiper to intermittent, wait for the delay you want, then turn it off and then on quickly. Now that is the wiper delay, until you turn the ignition off or reprogram it.

I got it from a Jetta or Golf, I forget which exactly. I kept the 99 and gave the 198 to my buddy with the Syncro.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:
Now that is the wiper delay, until you turn the ignition off or reprogram it.

Curious... I have the KAE relay and it keeps the setting until you reprogram it, even after you turn the ignition off. I set it once last year and it still remembers. Of course the official motto of Quebec is "Je me souviens" so maybe it only works like that here Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: