Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Variable intermittent windshield wipers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:
Posting into this old thread because the search doesn't return anything definitive. To help future searches:

The 198 relay will work in the same way as the 99 does. I just got one of each from the junk yard, and tried them both in my 89 Westy. They work both the same way: set wiper to intermittent, wait for the delay you want, then turn it off and then on quickly. Now that is the wiper delay, until you turn the ignition off or reprogram it.

I wonder if there's a difference in the max/min intervals or some such. Mine said it had a min interval of 5 secs, but it's really more like 2 secs. Max interval on mine is somewhere around 30 or 35 secs. It's a 99, but can't recall which manufacturer.

Paul
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
juanb wrote:
Posting into this old thread because the search doesn't return anything definitive. To help future searches:

The 198 relay will work in the same way as the 99 does. I just got one of each from the junk yard, and tried them both in my 89 Westy. They work both the same way: set wiper to intermittent, wait for the delay you want, then turn it off and then on quickly. Now that is the wiper delay, until you turn the ignition off or reprogram it.

I wonder if there's a difference in the max/min intervals or some such. Mine said it had a min interval of 5 secs, but it's really more like 2 secs. Max interval on mine is somewhere around 30 or 35 secs. It's a 99, but can't recall which manufacturer.

Paul

I guess I didn't test it long enough to figure that out. I'll ask my friend to pay attention to that, he has the 198 now.

I'm sure a spec sheet wouldn't be too hard to find. Google didn't return much though.

j
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canvas guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the 99 to work in my 84 westy w/o the intermittent wipers!
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could install this....kind of like the passat/jetta relay but a rain sensor plugs into the top of the new relay auto rain sensing wipers (ce2) compatible
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fox...CEkQ9QEwBw
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
juanb wrote:

Paul

The OEM VW 99 relays that you find at the junkyard have a programmable interval of 2-45 seconds. The relay is reset to a 6 second default when the ignition is turned off.

The KAE relays (from Van Cafe and other online sources) supposedly have a programmable interval of 5-20 seconds. The relay keeps its setting when the ignition is turned off.

The junkyard ones also program by moving the stalk up and down (off and on), while the KAE programs by pulling towards you. One disadvantage to this is that it will spray a little wiper fluid unless you can apply just the right amount of pressure when turning it on and off.

Personally, I prefer the operation and features of the 99. The fact that it can be had for $3 or less from your local junkyard seals the deal. I believe that it's the Beru-made 99 relay (NLA) that comes in a half-height case that is shorter. That's the best one to find. Some of the other ones are really tall. Not that it really matters as anything with a 99 stamped on it is groovy, but I know some of y'all are down for a boneyard scavenger hunt.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:

I got it from a Jetta or Golf, I forget which exactly. I kept the 99 and gave the 198 to my buddy with the Syncro.

Yep, just installed one marked 198 from a 97 Golf GTI and it works great. I'm kinda gitty with excitement Razz
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Wiper Hope Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Just got back from the p&p with a "99" relay in my pocket......I poped the little white stopper out of the wiper switch and installed the new relay. Works like a charm. Now, if it would only rain........

BUMP>>>>>

I have some hope that this and other maintenance will solve my wiper woes. I only have one speed for my wipers in my 1984 Doka, and that is slow. Now I suspect that I need to pull my motor and assembly to clean and lube (dash removal time). I do not have any intermittent wipers and never did over the last 2 years of ownership. Did some dokas or base models ever come without an intermittent option? Could my steering colmun stalks be old and worn? When positioning the lever it is not always a clear "click" into position, but it can be "mushy."

My wiper stalk can be positioned down (or towards me) into the known intermittent wiper position, but nothing happens with the wipers. I'm wondering if I need to replace my stalk wiper controls and then just install a boneyard 99 relay. Are there any extra wiring from the stalk to the relays or motor on the later models than the earlier ones that anyone knows about? Any thoughts?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

>>BUMP>>BUMP>>

I have my dash out, lubed my wiper assembly and installed a new mootor,where on the fuse panel should I plug in the 99 relay?

84 Doka

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
>>BUMP>>BUMP>>

I have my dash out, lubed my wiper assembly and installed a new mootor,where on the fuse panel should I plug in the 99 relay?

84 Doka
On mine, I removed the #19 and replaced it with a #99
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

See the photos in this link:

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23320
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

^^^Sweet, that link is the Cat's Pajama's. Thank you.

FaceHook:
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

At some point, VW started making productions cars with the variability of the intermittent wiper system as a standard feature.

Many probably know this already, but the year VW started this was 1992. I found this page in their 1992 Model Change Information Service Training book.

So, if you find a relay from 1992 forward, you might want to snag a it for your Vanagon.

Photo of the cover and the pertinent page below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I have an 89 model Transporter that currently does not currently have an intermittent setting. The picture below shows my fuse panel, do you think that a 99 relay would work for me?, do I place it in the location where that piece of metal is?

What is that piece of metal for anyway ... a bridge ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers
rwjacks2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I recently bought a Vemo wiper relay that should be programmable. Part #: V15-71-0025. It should program via the: pulll the wiper stalk towards you twice method. Delay does not change. Anyone had any luck programming this part?

'84 Westfalia.

Thanks,

-Riley
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable intermittent windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I'm looking for one of these too.
The Bosch # is 0-986-335-058 but not available most places anymore.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: