Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon - Subaru swap help
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

I put in a 2003 ej25 subaru engine into my van a few years ago using the Busaru YouTube channel. It worked well and everything was great. I drove up to a ski resort and the engine gave out. It sat for a couple of years while I renovated my house.

I got a 2002 ej25 engine as a replacement. I’m using the complete wiring harness from the previous engine. I’m not getting spark when I try to start it and I need some help.

I have the following codes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help would be appreciated. Trouble shooting next steps.
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

VW_thepeoplescar wrote:
I put in a 2003 ej25 subaru engine into my van a few years ago using the Busaru YouTube channel. It worked well and everything was great. I drove up to a ski resort and the engine gave out. It sat for a couple of years while I renovated my house.

I got a 2002 ej25 engine as a replacement. I’m using the complete wiring harness from the previous engine. I’m not getting spark when I try to start it and I need some help.

I have the following codes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help would be appreciated. Trouble shooting next steps.

Just to confirm you just swapped the old harness onto the new motor directly and didn’t use your previous motors intake and sensors? I am not saying that is your issue but thought it might be something to clarify for folks to help.
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

I used the previous motor’s intake. Let’s list all the sensors, add any that I am missing.

Camshaft sensor
Crankshaft sensor
Oil pressure sensor
Coolant temperature sensor
Knock sensor
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

Do the cam and crank reluctors on the 02 match the 03? Otherwise your 03 ECU is not getting the correct cam and crank signals
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

At autozone, they are the same part number. I replaced one, but the other one seems to be stuck. I am going to find a video on how to test them to check if they are working properly.
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

I checked the OHMs and voltage through the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. They appear to be functioning properly. When I sprayed starter fluid through the air intake, it eventually fired up, but then died.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

No idea, but if it started off of starter fluid, it's not a spark issue persay. Sounds more like a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pressure and the fuel level in the tank.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

VW_thepeoplescar wrote:
I checked the OHMs and voltage through the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. They appear to be functioning properly. When I sprayed starter fluid through the air intake, it eventually fired up, but then died.

a DVOM isn't a good check for a sensor like that, you need a scope

as noted, are the reluctors the same from engine to engine? subaru used a couple different configurations.

the sensors are the same...they don't care...they're just reporting how many teeth the cam/crank have

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

With the two green test connectors connected and the key turned to ON, is the fuel pump relay clicking and the fuel pump cycling? How did you check for no spark? Are the plugs wet with fuel or dry?
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
No idea, but if it started off of starter fluid, it's not a spark issue persay. Sounds more like a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pressure and the fuel level in the tank.

Dont rule out spark if starter fluid will run it, its possible for a gasoline engine to diesel on starter fluid when no spark is present.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Dont rule out spark if starter fluid will run it, its possible for a gasoline engine to diesel on starter fluid when no spark is present.

Just to clarify, you are saying that a piston could fire without a spark firing and starter fluid being compressed?
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
With the two green test connectors connected and the key turned to ON, is the fuel pump relay clicking and the fuel pump cycling? How did you check for no spark? Are the plugs wet with fuel or dry?

Yes, I have checked to see if there is fuel pressure. When I connect the two green test, it does cycle the fuel pump. I also pulled the fuel lines and they are under pressure. And fuel also comes out the other end at the fuel line.

We used a spark plug checker to check spark. We also checked the wires going to the ignition coil. On my Subaru we were able to observe voltage at this connection. We did not see voltage on the van’s engine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

Sorry there is not enough compression to ignite starting fluid. It would have been spark from the ignition system. I don’t have any real Subaru experience and to be honest, don’t own a can of starting fluid. But if the engine starts and runs momentarily off of starting fluid, that indicates the engine is getting spark. That leaves fuel or lack of is where to look next.

Fuel pressure check and injector pulse. A noid light for checking injector pulse is a handy tool to own. A stethoscope or a long screwdriver against the injector and your ear can let you hear if it’s clicking short of a noid light or stethoscope.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

VW_thepeoplescar wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Just to clarify, you are saying that a piston could fire without a spark firing and starter fluid being compressed?

Yes, starter fluid is volatile enough that the lower compression of a gasoline engine can cause auto ignition aka dieseling.

The best way to check for spark is with your pinky. Not my favorite way to check for spark however.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Sorry there is not enough compression to ignite starting fluid. It would have been spark from the ignition system.

I disagree, I learned the hard way it can happen. I assumed that running on starter fluid meant I was getting spark and I spent many many hours and days chasing my tail about all sorts of other issues.

The issue turned out to be a blown fuse to the power transistor unit, replace the fuse and it fired right up.

I even kept the engine running for a few minutes hoping something would clear by pulsing squirts of starter fluid in.

I'm not saying this is the issue, I just wanted to point how making an incorrect conclusion and not verifying it another way can really throw a wrench in the troubleshooting process.

VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to a EUC logic diagram?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

VW_thepeoplescar wrote:

did you confirm the trigger wheel teeth on both cam and crank sprockets?

if you can't do that, a diagram of the ECU will be zero help

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

Never had code P1518 with my 02 2.5 from an Impreza. Seem to be no start issues related to that code. According to the pinouts you should be getting 8-14 volts to the ECU starter switch pin while cranking.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

^^^ which would be tied into the main relay and/or ignition switch depending on the way this is wired (basically how the harness was done)

could be as simple as the ignition switch went tits up

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
VW_thepeoplescar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon - Subaru swap help Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
VW_thepeoplescar wrote:

did you confirm the trigger wheel teeth on both cam and crank sprockets?

if you can't do that, a diagram of the ECU will be zero help

Do you mean: are the the crankshaft gear on the 2002 legacy and 2003 legacy the same? I’m a bit confused about what you mean.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: