Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance breather box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loopole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a pan-evac, this is how i have it setup. I had tiger weld the pan evac to my collecter, I have a gary berg breather mounted on the firewall, the top port is vented to the 1-2 air filter. the valve covers are vented to the breather box, 3-4 to the side port, 1-2 to the bottom port, with one port plugged. The pan evac is connected to a 3/8 port on the oil fill cap, so the engine is always pulling filtered air through the top of the breather box, then making its way through the valve covers, through the sump and out to the exhaust. When the engine is idling you can feel the suction on the intake hose when you remove it from the air filter top, as you rev the engine the suction increases. What i have noticed after a year is my oil stays clean much longer, I no longer have any crankcase odor when my heat is on, the i have eliminated the water condensation spooge you get in the crankcase when it gets cold and you are running on short trips, the only problem i have noticed is increased oil consumption, i am pulling to much oil mist out through the exhaust, i need to put a effective baffle at the oil filler cap, but have not bothered to do this yet.
Barracudabrendon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if this thing will fit with Kadrons or is it in the way of the push pull linkage?
1964 N Model Squareback
Ruthless Fastback Drag car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it works.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]
BeetleBurner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit - my idea wont work.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1986, I got one of the first series Berg Crankcase Breathers. they had some flaws. they didnt sit/seat just right on the generator stand. The O-Ring cover seal was impossible to deal with. But looking back at my engine in 1986, you gotta laugh. The berg breather was the highlight of the engine compartment. (what the hell was I thinking)

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
The CB box is just fine.

The breather lines on the bottom of the box make NO difference AT ALL.

When you add oil, the oil that goes down the breather lines will go into the valve cover, drain down the pushrod tubes, and into the case.

The only thing that can make it not work well, is if you route the lines with excessive length and end up with 'low spots' in the lines that will collect oil like a P-trap from a plumbing system.

The lines entering at the bottom is the better design as it does offer more oil/air seperation before it hits the vent to the atmosphere.

I knew there was some reason I liked this guy.he has more that 1/2 a brain!!! I kinda like the feature of the oil going through your valve covers, helps to rinse down the old oil&carbon that has accumulated in the vc& tubes so it can get stuck in the oil filter where it should be. some things are so easy ,but if you try to over think them and dont realy know what you are thinking about you will tend to run into problems that arnt there or you have made your self. thanks eric!!! ( I wonder where they thought the oil from the push rods was going????)
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Eaallred wrote:
The CB box is just fine.

The breather lines on the bottom of the box make NO difference AT ALL.

When you add oil, the oil that goes down the breather lines will go into the valve cover, drain down the pushrod tubes, and into the case.

The only thing that can make it not work well, is if you route the lines with excessive length and end up with 'low spots' in the lines that will collect oil like a P-trap from a plumbing system.

The lines entering at the bottom is the better design as it does offer more oil/air seperation before it hits the vent to the atmosphere.

I knew there was some reason I liked this guy.he has more that 1/2 a brain!!! I kinda like the feature of the oil going through your valve covers, helps to rinse down the old oil&carbon that has accumulated in the vc& tubes so it can get stuck in the oil filter where it should be. some things are so easy ,but if you try to over think them and dont realy know what you are thinking about you will tend to run into problems that arnt there or you have made your self. thanks eric!!! ( I wonder where they thought the oil from the push rods was going????)

That box is almost worthless. Fancy oil filler if you ask me. A true "breather" needs to breath, if its not vented it can't breath. If its all closed up like some of the pictures posted where is all your crankcase pressure going? You can add a breather to your "cb breather" then it will work properly. These may work OK on small motors. But don't try and put one of these on a 2387........
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that what the little K&N filter ontop is for? or running them to the carbs?
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
In 1986, I got one of the first series Berg Crankcase Breathers. they had some flaws. they didnt sit/seat just right on the generator stand. The O-Ring cover seal was impossible to deal with. But looking back at my engine in 1986, you gotta laugh. The berg breather was the highlight of the engine compartment. (what the hell was I thinking)

^^^^^^^^I'm sorry to say that is NOT a Berg Breather box in your picture, that's a CB Performance breather box.^^^^^^

The Berg Breather box looks like this:

And the Bergs are remaking the old style angluar (the style I have): http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1011968
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That box is almost worthless. Fancy oil filler if you ask me. A true "breather" needs to breath, if its not vented it can't breath. If its all closed up like some of the pictures posted where is all your crankcase pressure going? You can add a breather to your "cb breather" then it will work properly. These may work OK on small motors. But don't try and put one of these on a 2387........

If I remember correctly, there is a port on the upper rear that may be used for running a vent tube down through the stock location, just like the stock oil filler. See hose next to Berg dipstick.

catarinoforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread! I'm looking at getting a new breather, read tons of threads, and am leaning towards something like this.. slightly modified of course..

Anyone wanna report how theirs is working out? Any quality issues arising? I will
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on my motors and have had great success with it. I put a filter on the top port and have no problems with oil spray or anything,

brad
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi just came out with a ripped-off version of this breather box. They re-designed the mounting of the cover plate with (7) bolts. Much better than the (3) CB uses.

It's actually made pretty well.................

OK, everyone can start with the Empi Bashing now. Rolling Eyes

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CB unit on my 2165 in a '59 Single Cab. I have to "work" the cover plate and threaded risers sealing surface to get it flat to seal. It works very well as a breather tower.

But, it is a PITA to fill oil in. Makes oil changes slow and messy if you try to over feed it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
JoeD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys sure have clean engines. Very Happy
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeD wrote:

I don't go for Purddy. I go for function, so mine is clean, just not painted shinney and polished. (I run air filters, I was just dialing in the jets at the time of this picture)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeD wrote:

Everythings clean when it's new, then you use it Wink

Yes, That's SALT Fun stuff......

brad
JoeD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew.. thats better. I was begining to think I needed to polish my engine every night. Very Happy
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

White powdercoating Wink
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya right, this $!^ will strip powdercoating if left long enough. It's great for getting cad plating off of anything you want.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: