Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripping her off - 1957 Oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Awesome... The vroom-vroom came home today... Need to correct a few bits & pieces but, perfect bill of health... The streets are only a short matter of time now.

Good deal man!

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH *facepalm* How screwed am I here Question

So I'm really close to be finally be able to get her on the road, hopefully by the end of the month. Yesterday when I was finishing up the wiring up front and then went underneath in the back and was installing a new trans to body ground strap I noticed that the transmissions nose donut that is should be installed into the hole leading into the tunnel was only slipped over the nose and the donut itself is only pushing against the hole and not installed inside the hole itself...

I have no idea how I missed it being this far into the project. My guess is this donut keeps the front of the trans moving under power and from this comes my question... If I run without it being installed properly am I going to wind up having to constantly mess with the linkage due to it moving and becoming uncoupled? or do you think it will be ok for awhile? ... or is it one of those things that only time will tell...

I'm really, REALLY hoping I don't need to pull the entire transaxle to put it in correctly until next fall...

Any thoughts?

Found a pic from early on in the project and I have no clue how I missed installing it correct...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene I think you can just fineggle that into the hole with a stiff plastic interior knife, or maybe a dull screwdriver. What year trans is that? Is that a splitcase?

My car is covered up and not accessible otherwise I would take some pics for ya.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we got the car the original PO hacked in a later trans ('69) and we had to fix all of his butchery, including the rear breast plate on the rear of the tunnel which we got off the '56 donor car, and we got kind of lucky locally and found the closest trans we could find which is a really nice rebuilt '58 splitcase...

Tried to mess with the donut soon as I saw it and tried pushing it into its hole and no go, can't compress or squash it enough to even start it in the hole from any direction while the nose is running through it. Nose would definatly need to be removed then boiled & lubed to push it in and seat it in the hole, it's pretty hard rubber not soft...

I'm imagining the nose bolts should keep anything from moving drastically and the donut may be more for just sealing out dust & water too but... Just makes me kinda wonder when I noticed it yesterday...

Hoping it is more for a dust & water seal, if that's the case I can easily put a bit of silicone behind it to seal it better until I can pull the trans and install it right...
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having rebuilt one of these rattletrap trans I can tell you that it won't affect the functionality of the trans, and that it is most definitely to keep dirt/debris from that area.

Lube it up and stick it in Shocked

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the wrong gasket too. It should be a real simple rubber ring.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111301289

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans... went around looking and I know how it got over looked... My kids tried to surprise me when we went on vacation back in '12 and they had stripped, blasted, painted & re-assembled the entire pan complete and had back on the floor when I got back 10 days later... They must have put the seal from the old '69 trans we pulled out on it by accident... 0% chance of fitting inside the hole now...

Glad to know it serves no other purpose other than being an elements seal, problem solved, the 60 second silicone fix... Laughing

Now if it would just stay up around 75 for a couple days I could finish putting in the damn headliner... Confused
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Cool beans... went around looking and I know how it got over looked... My kids tried to surprise me when we went on vacation back in '12 and they had stripped, blasted, painted & re-assembled the entire pan complete and had back on the floor when I got back 10 days later... They must have put the seal from the old '69 trans we pulled out on it by accident... 0% chance of fitting inside the hole now...

Glad to know it serves no other purpose other than being an elements seal, problem solved, the 60 second silicone fix... Laughing

Now if it would just stay up around 75 for a couple days I could finish putting in the damn headliner... Confused

Sounds like a good plan Gene. If you ever pull that engine you can take it the extra mile and yank the trans for the right seal.
Make sure you don't get any silicon on the shaft itself since that obviously moves Smile Good luck!

dubstertim1996
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice bug, wish mine was somewhat near that stage!!
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this week was supposed to be the last hurrah... *ARHHHHHH*
.....well I think we all know how that goes... What I thought I would be driving this weekend? ...well looks like is now next month...

For some reason, I could have sworn I ordered the correct part...
so went to WW, picked the battery to trans ground strap... instead I got a second battery to body strap... and of course we'll blame it on digital interference but still have to pay for it... WTF... HUH..? *argh* my bad I guess...

Then to make matters worse? Bought the project in '09... somewhere around '10 I bought the front & rear windshield gasket set from WCM... but as luck would have it? I get the right rear gasket but the front gasket sent is for convertible windshield and guess what, they're records don't go that far back... ARGH!!!!!

All derailments aside? Did manage to install the new WW rear firewall panels... a few seconds of math and the holes are easy... went off the original pics I had and came out damn near perfect!

Ground the windshield to fit, but alas, wrong gasket... TRIPLE ARGH!

Went garage saleing a few weeks ago and found someone that did plasma cutting and did a bunch of odd pieces... found a neat batman thing that just stood out to me, brought it home, set it in the oval grill, flipped it upside down it seems to fit kinda neat and it has potential... (don't worry, that's as far as I'm going into abortion territory) ...I have an art glass friend he will make me a centerpiece for on top of it, then maybe a bud vase and she'll be unique...

Either way, I'm to beat today to sort the pics in order...
...you figure it out... : )=

Ok, so the color I used on the cardboard glove box liner aint the rright color on to outside... or the inside for that matter... I just happened to have some dark brown & almond epoxy appliance painst on the shelf and figured, ehhh... close enough... don't look to bad either... besides once I put the wiring cover on? ...Who's gonna see it anyway... still have a perfect liner on the shelf though...
: )

WHICH VISOR & MIRROR WOULD YOU USE?
I like the small mirror... But alos the like the smoked Visor too... can they be melded together?

...Also found this in my garage today as well, the first Sony XM satellite module ever brought to the XM format as a stand alone on unit and guess what..?

IT RUNS ON 6Vdc!!!

Soon to be finished? God I hope so... it's been 5 years, waiting 2 -3 weeks is now killing me!

Calgon? Take me away!!
....I want to be done with this project so I can start on the '57 Ladawri!!!

LOL
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bat symbol is upside down. Very Happy
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! Need a few undented bits down the road, still nice actually just having it in and ready to go turnkey. Now the next is all up front get the tank in and a weekend hooking stuf up ND SHOULD BE ABLE TO DRIVE OUT THE DRIVEWAY. Now if the throttle cable wasn't 1/2" short TODAY? Probably would have bled the brakes, threw a gallon in the tank and drove around the block all day...

Guess I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see what falls off and all the stuff I forgot to tighten err... find the bugs?
BUT IT'S IN!!! : )=

Messed with the door panels, some misc trims & other fiddly bits too.
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
Awesome... The vroom-vroom came home today... Need to correct a few bits & pieces but, perfect bill of health... The streets are only a short matter of time now.

Link

love it!!!!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:

WHICH VISOR & MIRROR WOULD YOU USE?
I like the small mirror... But alos the like the smoked Visor too... can they be melded together?

That smoked plastic visor, and mirror is technically correct for 58-59's, (round corner) but you could slide the visor off, and install it onto your correct rear view mirror (the one that has the wrong padded visor). Or, you could pick up the correct repop oval visor from WW,
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113857511
and sell the 58/59 visor to me, to recoup the money you spend on the WW oval visor. Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
briyenkieth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get those semaphores working?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briyenkieth wrote:
did you get those semaphores working?
Yes.... but still need to run the upper harness and figure out the 5 wire switch in a 6v system shenanigans...

Finally! 6 years later? I drive it out of the garage... Ok, I'm not perfect but I got no rust anywhere so I will only improve as I age...

first fire.... Sounds great!

Link

And of course time to take a quick spin around the neighborhood... Saw three kids slugging eachother went by too LOL! ...Either way? Enjoy... Can't wait to throw in the rest of the glass and then take it to the NIVA Alpine Park Rockford show next Sunday! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Link

rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause congratulations! I share your joy as I got my bug running today as well.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windshield DONE,
Rear window done.
Door panels DONE,
Rear view & visor DONE
Plated & ready to roll all legal like now....

Need to just find me a push button start switch... Seem to have quite the collection of ignition switches where people state on here sold as "TESTED" and still don't work, so that's 3 ignition switches and each of them socked me $150 each time! For all of those broken parts bought? I could have sent in the Judson for a rebuilt Confused

Hopefully I can fix one of them down the road....

Anyone ever have this happen? Cut the new I cut the new windshield right off the original trashed one that I had and both of the bottom corners of the gasket aren't even close to sealing at all... It sort of seemed to get whacky when I installed the WW trims into the gasket, window is absolutely correctly fabbed in shape and size, it's almost like the trim is keeping it from relaxing to seal to the body...

Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice to see your oval ride again, congralutations!!!!
did you replaced the windshield corners or are they original?
there is a difference between 58 up and 58 down windshield corners.
the 58 down corners (oval corners) have a sharper corner then the 58 up corners.

best regards
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derosse wrote:
very nice to see your oval ride again, congralutations!!!!
did you replaced the windshield corners or are they original?
there is a difference between 58 up and 58 down windshield corners.
the 58 down corners (oval corners) have a sharper corner then the 58 up corners.

Eyah I replaced the fronts using WW's, even bought 2 sets thinking I would mash one of them, both packs say they are for '52-'57. Thought it was also a bit odd that I had to trim about 1" from the bottom and the top wasn't long enough, had to scab a tiny piece in so it would hold the finish clip at the top. (I'm a glazier by trade so I know it's not me). Thanks for pointing that out Derosse!

Wonder if their windshield trims are mis-labled or mixed up, maybe ...

Also need to ask them why my original tail bulb holders won't fit into their '56-'60 tail reflectors and of course I find this after I put them both in... Not to mention their door panels clips aren't to hot either, of the 60 that I bought? More than half of them, once pushed into the hole just collapse and fall out of the hole... thank god I saved as many of the original ones I could...

Guess I'll have to call them today and compl... errrr... find out WTF...
*ARGH*
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: