Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrading to H4 headlights?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Upgrading to H4 headlights- seal fitment? Reply with quote

Hello,
I just got the Hella H4 headlights from Busdepot for my upgrade. They seem to overall fit really nicely. My question is regarding the seal in the back. It's gray and as shown in the post above. I pushed it all the way down and the prongs stick out nicely and the socket seems to fit well. My issue is that the seal doesn't seem to press against the housing to make a seal (see last picture). Did I miss anything obvious? I did try to flip it inside out as mentioned above but don't really see any issues. I can disassemble and take more pictures, if needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

For the OP (RatCamper), in Australia, and jalabert, in New Zealand...

If you are looking for the H4 lights with the integrated parking lights (aka city lights), I refer you to my thread on the subject:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684259

I have two Type 2 pickups that are Euro-spec, with the extra gray wire in the headlight bucket for the city lights. I eventually figured it out.

You would need a RHD version, of course. Note that while the '78 doka is RHD, it is fitting with LHD headlights, since I drive on the right (to you, wrong) side of the road.

Hope this helps.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Old post but I recently upgraded to H4 headlights from CIP1 and have a question on the light pattern. Low beams seem to shine farther in the distance and are more focused where the high beams are a wider pattern but don't shine as far down the road.

Here are the 2 patterns on my garage door.

High Beam

Low Beam

Does this look right?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Low beams should have that cut off. That is what prevents the light from blinding oncoming drivers.

Hard to tell for sure, but it kind of looks like you need to aim them a bit lower.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Sorry, but those patterns look awful! What are you using for bulbs? LED, perchance?
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

I have H4 and my pattern looks nothing like that.
’65 Deluxe Build
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

You don’t want to blind oncoming drivers? Rolling Eyes

You’ll be the only one.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments guys.

Something seems off with them, almost as if the light bulbs are not seated properly or the reflective internal surface is not focused where it should be?

I don't know what bulbs they came with but will investigate and make sure it is not something simple.

Additionally, I'll reach out to CIP1 and ask them for their thoughts on this and try to exchange them to see if it was just a bad pair.

I bought a sliding door latch mechanism from them last year that didn't have the latch part and no one noticed...
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys.

Something seems off with them, almost as if the light bulbs are not seated properly or the reflective internal surface is not focused where it should be?

I don't know what bulbs they came with but will investigate and make sure it is not something simple.

Additionally, I'll reach out to CIP1 and ask them for their thoughts on this and try to exchange them to see if it was just a bad pair.

I bought a sliding door latch mechanism from them last year that didn't have the latch part and no one noticed...

What kind of housings are they? If they are Autopal they just flat out suck. Hella, Bosch or Ciebie are what you want. Also dont go high wattage on the bulbs. A stock 55/60 will be all the light you need in a Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

What headlights do you have? Are they the same left and right?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Not sure what maker or other details atm, so I'll have to check tonight and report back.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Looks like I bought the Empi's from CIP1.

EMPI 00-9311-0 PAIR OF 7 INCH HALOGEN HEADLIGHT BULBS - WITH 12-VOLT H4 55/60 WATT REPLACEABLE BULBS - SOLD PAIR

Pics of the housings

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

So you didn’t get Hella H4, you got a EMPI knock off.

I’d return them and buy the real Hella H4. You’ll have to buy the bulbs and the housings separately.

Here’s a link, I bought the H4 60/55W bulbs and they are pretty bright.

https://www.busdepot.com/0301600118
’65 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Yeah those look like the garbage ones made in India. When it comes to headlights, Id only buy quality for sure. There are lots of inferior products out there to choose from.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

My original sealed beams were terrible so I thought these looked like a good upgrade but after actually using them at night, I realize that these are poor quality. Not sure if CIP1 will take them back as I bought them 6 months ago but I'll try.

On a positive note, the Can/US border is open now and no Covid 19 Test will be needed for short trips (under 72 hours) to the US as of Nov 30th so I can finally order from US suppliers again and have things sent to my PO Box in Washington State. We have gasoline restrictions due to the recent flooding here in the Lower Mainland BC that cut off all of our Hwy's connecting us to the rest of BC & Canada so it will be nice to be able to fill up and do some shopping while South of the border too!
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

The Hella 70476 is not DOT approved. The Hella 70477 is DOT legal. There isn't a big difference in the prices, but the DOT legal are more $.

I agree with the comments above about the Hella H4 being pretty much the best option. There used to be a very good quality Bosch H4 unit but they seem to have disappeared.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Looks like I bought the Empi's from CIP1.

EMPI 00-9311-0 PAIR OF 7 INCH HALOGEN HEADLIGHT BULBS - WITH 12-VOLT H4 55/60 WATT REPLACEABLE BULBS - SOLD PAIR

Here is a great place to buy lighting and a decent deal on housings and bulbs.
https://www.rallylights.com/hella-7-round-e-code-hi-lo-conversion-headlamp-kit.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

If you've got H4 housings, 9003 bulbs may be used in them. They aren't 100% exactly the same, but are very, very close (to the point that most would never notice the difference) and 9003s are much more easily found at about any FLAPS or WalMart or whatever should you have a bulb burn out.

...A fact I wish I had known when, due to use on washboard roads, both low beams burned out on my Bus a few years ago. After departing the group I was with. And I didn't have a spare like I thought I did.

So I had to travel with high beams, but they are very bright and it was dusk and rainy. Ended up pulling the fuse for the driver side bulb to avoid blinding people as badly.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Bill wrote:
I'm running 80/100 H4 lights and 100 watt Hella Driving Lights. Sure hope that someone doesn't dim those high beams....heh heh

I have had 100/80W H4 quartz-halogen bulbs, with P45t mounting flanges (same as the 45/40W glass-envelope bulbs) in my RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 headlamps since circa 1988/89. Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to H4 headlights? Reply with quote

Gotta say my H4's are the best upgrade my bus has had (came off our old Ford van in 1981 when my dad bought a new one) over the years.

I'm sure I'm running the not DOT approved bulbs, but no one has complained... yet Embarassed

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: