Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with leak.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
autostick73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Help with leak. Reply with quote

Hey guys and gals,
I need some help with where this coolant leak is coming from. It looks like the thermostat housing or the coolant sensor for the gauge. I replaced the sensor and the oring but I am still getting a leak. Is it possible that the housing is cracked. I am attaching a picture. Any and all help would be great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

powderedwaters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a tough spot to track a leak down in. Dry it off the best you can and try sticking a small mirror under the bulkhead to get a better view. I would imagine anything is possible with these vans including a cracked housing. I would guess hose leak or mis-seated o-ring first though.
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem the leak came from the sensor and all I had to do was change the o-ring Smile
Past vws: 1977 Champagne Edition I Bus (Cedar)1991 Capri Green Wolfsburg Jetta 1978 Sage Green(Taiga) Transporter 2.0 FI (Paddy) 1980 Inca Brown Rabbit Diesel LS 1969 Karmann (funky weird blue that wasn't original) Ghia Autostick 1991 Bordeaux Red Vanagon GL 1992 Tornado Red GTI 8V
autostick73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I did the sensor replacement it came with a new oring. I replaced it and still have the leak.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell where your leak is from that photo. If you can describe it better, that might help. I found a leak on the dirver's side right in front of the main coolant tank. On my 1.9, there is a small hose that is less than 3" long and very hard to see. My clamp had broken and thus the hose leaked at the connection. It was a very short hose section and could not blow off since it was sandwiched between 2 connections, but still leaked. Put on a new clamp and it was fixed.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one of those composite thermostat housings develop a microscopic crack, in a different location than yours might be but the possibility is there with that material. Get the engine warmed up so there is pressure and the fluid viscosity is lowered, and clean that area off dry, then watch closely to see if any moisture starts showing on the surface (the engine doesn't have to stay running, the pressure stored in the system will force the fluid out). Doing this carefully allows you to absolutely pinpoint the location, but it takes patience.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: