Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Footloose wrote:
Nope. 3 holes. See photo. Maybe the plastic was original after all? I pulled it out because the bugger leaked after rebuild. I suspect because either it is missing an O-ring, washer or the plastic face was worn. Rolling Eyes I will add the WW rubber piece with five holes and try again. Does anyone else have a switch with only three holes? Why would there be more than thee any ways?!?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 58 has this style valve, it only has 3 holes as well. I just put it back together using the WW kit and I'm unsure how the dust boot goes on, anyone have any idea? The 2 tabs that stick out prevent the boot from going all the way on.
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I was going to add to this also. For some weird reason. My brand new fuel tap from WW the long brass pipe after six months of sitting the tall brass pipe was eaten of and clogged my tap. The only thing I figured was the previous owner had cleaned the tank with some kind of acid and it was still in the tank dried to the sides if that's possible. I am hoping it was not someone I work with as it has been sitting in the shop I work for. I didn't think that soldering the brass to the aluminium would work that great. Not saying it won't. I used a thread and tap. I bought the brass tube and used my die to see what tap would work best. I took and bent the tube slightly at the top so I could spin it in by hand. I think I used a 10/32. The I used the tap on the body and screwed the long bent pice into the short side first and cut then into the long side and cut. It seemed to work good. Just a thought for someone who doesn't know how to or feel the solder will hold.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm just trying to take my tap apart for rebuilding but the large securing nut is not co-operating in coming loose.
After a good bit of heat I can get it to turn about 45 but that's about it.

Anyone any ideas or should I not bother removing it if it won't effect how the valve seals to the tank?

Cheers Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Use a good penetrating oil and work it back and forth so it gets a little more movement at each try. Also the thread on the tap is LH.
Izzygt500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Hi Guys quick question,

What is the thread size for the nut and thread in bottom of the fuel tank?

Where the fuel tap/petcock attach. I just rebuilt my fuel tap and the nut has a few threads that need to be tapped with a die, and ill be cleaning the threads also from the gas tank. This for a 1957 Bug with a regular style humpback tank.

Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Better to use a hand wire brush on the outside threads and a dental pick or scribe to clean out the inner threads. Apply some oil on the tank threads and see if you can work by hand the nut onto it.
60greenbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

I have a 60 vw bug Green Bug

I am trying to rebuild my fuel reserve tap, but, cannot get the circlip on Mad

I depress the assembly down with a socket in order to secure the retaining clip, but, it pops out of place.

Here is what I have....(pic)

Other questions now arise... when I view the WW instructions, it shows an additional washer (beneath spring), and, an additional washer at the base of where the copper filter seats, neither of which were indicated as necessary when I bought the rebuild kit.

So, 1) does anyone have tips for getting the circlip on?, and, 2) do I need the additional washers described above?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Maybe try something like a thin dental pick to make sure the C-clip is fully in the groove and have a helper too boot to lend a hand. Make sure the groove is clean of anything else in it and undamaged.

Only need one sealing washer. Aluminum of the filter sock will mold to shape and seal also.

More info in the parts manual here:

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html#f2
60greenbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Thanks Eric&Barb!

After hours of research, I found a lone post, that stated, the ring in a 'rebuild kit' was ever so very slightly thicker, and did not fit.

He went back to his original ring, and, perfection.

Precision is everything! Beware the supplier...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Thanks for that update! Been a way long time since we bought new rebuild kits. Back then they did not come with the rubber dust boot or the clip. Figures that the original is thinner.

Same problem has been noticed with newly made rebuildable fuel pumps that have too thick and strong springs causing too much fuel pressure. Solution is to install OG spring.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
60greenbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CANT get the retaining clip to go back on @beth percola Reply with quote

beth percola wrote:
what a bitch
i have the tap in a vise and I have tryed a deep socket to help getting the c clip in...I have tryed a couple different ways but it keeps popping out any great ideas ??

I was having the same problem with the rebuild kit that I bought from WW. If you still have the original clip, use that. The one in the kit is slightly larger than the original and I couldn't get it to fit, but the og clip went in just fine.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: CANT get the retaining clip to go back on @beth percola Reply with quote

60greenbug wrote:
beth percola wrote:
what a bitch
i have the tap in a vise and I have tryed a deep socket to help getting the c clip in...I have tryed a couple different ways but it keeps popping out any great ideas ??

I was having the same problem with the rebuild kit that I bought from WW. If you still have the original clip, use that. The one in the kit is slightly larger than the original and I couldn't get it to fit, but the og clip went in just fine.

Tw different reserve taps so maybe different parts.
60greenbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb, here's what I was talking about...out of Bentley....i.e. extra washer below spring and another below filter.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Interesting! Perhaps later on they decided the second sealing gasket was not needed. Even if it was half a cent savings, over 1,000,000 cars later that would be a nice savings of about $50,000.00.
DannyT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

I've a tap I want to rebuild, been searching for the gasget kit, but haven't found any... can someone enlighten me on who WW is?

thanks,
danny
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

WW = Wolfsburg West
DannyT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy

Just checked now, its $9 for the set, but $52 for shipping to Norway!!!

BTW anybody think its possible to make the gasket of some fuel resistant rubber?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

DannyT3 wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

Just checked now, its $9 for the set, but $52 for shipping to Norway!!!

BTW anybody think its possible to make the gasket of some fuel resistant rubber?

Give them a call direct and see if they can get that shipping cost down. Did a quick look at USPS and could get one of their small boxes sent for about $34.00 to Norway. If you have other stuff to order at the same time from WW that should bring cost down over all. Wonder how much it would cost you to do it thru Ebay with their international shipping?

You could try fuel resistant rubber, but you would need the correct thickness and harder rubber to do it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Do a WWW search for "Reserve Fuel Tap VW":

Got this one result in the UK that might be better for you shipping cost wise. Did not dig further, but if they sell reserve taps and some of the earlier filter pieces for them they probably have the rebuild kits.

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Category/0/Shop_by_Vehi..._Taps.html
DannyT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding your 56 to 61 fuel reserve tap. Reply with quote

Thanks!

I did clean it properly, filled it with some gasoline, and it seems to be a leak free. I changed it because when I got the car, it had a leak for what seems to be the tap. But probably came from where it connect to the tank. Will try to mount it on, after cleaning the threads on the tank as well.

What is the proper way to mount it? Start with the nut of both the tap/tank, and finger tight it on both parts at the same time, or first on the tank, then the tap?

regards,
danny

Sorry, read "panicman"s description further up in this thread Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: