Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The little H5 mystery build
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

Hey everybody, so after 2yrs of driving through fields in an old rail at 4.3k rpms, I finally decided to pull my tin off and have a look. As soon as the intake manifolds came off, I noticed some scuffing on a valve guide…it’s floating. I pulled the head and made a shocking discovery. My little H5 is a 1835! I already knew it had case savers but had no idea what was in it. I measured the lift on the cam and got about .325 intake and .280 exhaust. Would this be a Stock cam? The heads are in rough shape and I just happen to have an old set of eepco big valve 40cc heads cut for 92’s laying around, so why not…no cracking behind cylinder 3 yet…according to my calc’s, with the current deck height measuring at 3.14 mm, I’m getting a CR of 8.5. Would this old beast run on 87 octane? Thanks
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

Farva_84 wrote:
Hey everybody, so after 2yrs of driving through fields in an old rail at 4.3k rpms, I finally decided to pull my tin off and have a look. As soon as the intake manifolds came off, I noticed some scuffing on a valve guide…it’s floating. I pulled the head and made a shocking discovery. My little H5 is a 1835! I already knew it had case savers but had no idea what was in it. I measured the lift on the cam and got about .325 intake and .280 exhaust. Would this be a Stock cam? The heads are in rough shape and I just happen to have an old set of eepco big valve 40cc heads cut for 92’s laying around, so why not…no cracking behind cylinder 3 yet…according to my calc’s, with the current deck height measuring at 3.14 mm, I’m getting a CR of 8.5. Would this old beast run on 87 octane? Thanks

Oh man! Im in the process of putting together a 1914cc floor sweeper with eepco heads myself. .. LOL

Im no genius but I think 8.5 CR for a stock cam is pushing it for sure.
If a stock cam is what you have. just my opinion
Good luck on your build.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

Farva_84 wrote:

Thats a lot of deck.
I’m sure it’d run on 87 with that cr, i got a guy running a 2180 i built last year with a little over 10:1cr on 91 octane.
Put it together and find out
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

I had a feeling the deck height was excessive. BUT, considering the block, I’m throwing the eepco’s on and going to enjoy every last second of beating on it I can get out of it. I’ll run 89 just for a little extra safety. So far, the pistons and barrels are in ok shape and the rods have no play. The crank end play is still good. I’m curious to see how well it holds up with the new heads. It originally had a dellorto 45 with 26mm venturi’s but it wouldn’t ever idle. Not knowing it was a 1835, i switched over to a 34 pict 3 which ran circles around the drla. Guess I’ll see what happens! For the record, maybe because it’s open to the air, or maybe because it hasn’t been in great running condition since I got it, the little h5 case just keeps on going.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

I am presently running 8.4/1 with 87 octane. No issues at all.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

Farva_84 wrote:
I had a feeling the deck height was excessive. BUT, considering the block, I’m throwing the eepco’s on and going to enjoy every last second of beating on it I can get out of it. I’ll run 89 just for a little extra safety. So far, the pistons and barrels are in ok shape and the rods have no play. The crank end play is still good. I’m curious to see how well it holds up with the new heads. It originally had a dellorto 45 with 26mm venturi’s but it wouldn’t ever idle. Not knowing it was a 1835, i switched over to a 34 pict 3 which ran circles around the drla. Guess I’ll see what happens! For the record, maybe because it’s open to the air, or maybe because it hasn’t been in great running condition since I got it, the little h5 case just keeps on going.

If it’s something you expect to blow and you flog it like its going to a valiant hero’s death to be praised forever in the halls of Valhalla , it’ll never die.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The little H5 mystery build Reply with quote

Lmao!! I should be so lucky! I’m hoping to get the rest of my riding season out of it before it splits which lasts from this minute until about 10 days after the spring plant so here’s to a warm winter and some good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: