Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some help on replacing power steering lines please?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcnorton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this info and foot work. I am blessed by those that go before me and share info. I hope I can do the same.

Paul
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing Power steering in my 1984 west and just located a part number for the low PSI side for the rack. It's a gates fitting and the part number is g25640612 it's m18X1.5 3/8 diameter hose. Hope this helps some of you folks out.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
Mick Ord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am about to go to my nearest Parker Hose & Fitting Hydraulics Dealer and order the necessary hoses/fittings etc.
I am going to replace both pipes.
Can someone please confirm the specs etc for the low pressure return hose and fittings.
As im not entirely sure of what im doing, i would like to go into the store and present a full list of items required, so i can just pick up lines and have them fitted at the shop without too much hassle !!!

Thxs
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick Ord wrote:
Am about to go to my nearest Parker Hose & Fitting Hydraulics Dealer and order the necessary hoses/fittings etc.
I am going to replace both pipes.
Can someone please confirm the specs etc for the low pressure return hose and fittings.
As im not entirely sure of what im doing, i would like to go into the store and present a full list of items required, so i can just pick up lines and have them fitted at the shop without too much hassle !!!

Thxs

The Low Pressure side is M18X1.5
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my steel power steering lines while I was doing the Bostig. I picked up most of the info here.
I bought 11.5 feet of the high pressure line. Fabricated with 6G-0FDLORX fittings. The gates number for that fitting is 7100-92175. This is a metric Female 24 degree cone with o-ring. It looks different then the compression style on the vanagon but mates perfect no leaks. I had the Hydraulic Fabricator use better than 4800 psi, 3/8 id hose for the high side. I used straight fittings at both ends but a 90 degree on one end might be better (the front).
The low side I used 13 feet (which I cut to fit) of what they had for standard hydraulic returns (they do a lot forklift hoses). The ID was the diameter of the return steel lines. I used heavy duty hose clamps and left about 5 inches of the old tube attached at the steering rack. Cut with a standard tube cutter. I mated the other end to the reservoir at the rear.
I ran the new lines 90 degrees through the center opening of the gas tank and then over toward the pass side and along remaining sections (that I left) of the old lines. Gave me something to tie them to.
They work great plus major peace of mind. Total cost was less then $75.
denn704
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: bump Reply with quote

Can any one be more in detal to what size fittings I need p;eas..
jbeaulie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the fittings from the original steel lines to my local Parker Hose vendor today.

HIGH PRESSURE LINE:
11.5' hose, straight fitting on pump end, 90 degree on other. Part number for the whole thing: F436-C5-C3-10-10-6-138
$103

LOW PRESSURE LINE
13' hose, no fittings on either end. Part number: 836-8-RL
$62

HOSE CLAMPS FOR LOW PRESSURE LINE
Stainless steel, size 6 ABA clamp. Part number: SS12020.
$4.25 each

Fit like a glove, though I cut the low pressure line down to 12 feet.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did mine today

140.00 covered both lines.

It would've been cheaper but the guy messed up and made both lines out of high pressure.

I opted for the low pressure 90 fitting with 13' of hose open at the end. My low pressure line was pretty nasty so I didn't want to risk leaving any of it.

The hose I went with is 2600 working,14000 burst. I think you guys are erring on the side of caution and really over buying your hose.

My hose sets would've been @50.00 more using the 4800 stuff ( almost 2.00 more a foot)

So price your hoses as the gates 2600psi. I use this on most of my tractors/backhoes misc and it's held up fine

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way home from SyncroFest this year we detoured to an obscure road that goes over Parkfield Grade. It is a slow going, steep, hot (+90F) dirt road...lots of scenery and fun.

Halfway up the grade my Syncro's power steering started feeling thick and heavy. Never done before or since so I attribute the problem to over HEATED fluid. I feel this calls for a PS fluid cooler like most modern cars and all most all trucks. Search forum and found nothing out there on the subject or modification. Anyone add a cooler for the PS fluid? If so would like details and the all important photos of you install.

Thanks
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem with the amount of fluid these circulate. Most factory coolers were just a small loop of hard line, the vanagon came with 25feet of "cooler".

No leaks but hard steering? Check your steering u-joint

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Only hard to steer when VERY HOT this one time. Probably not related to u-joints, btw, this rig has 78k miles, no leaks or other symptoms. My bigger trucks (3/4 to one ton) , have an actual "oil radiator" to cool PS fluid.
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Aftermarket lines Reply with quote

My lines sprung a leak early this spring and I've been running without PS since. I knew it was a matter of time before the old rusty lines would let go, so I had this thread bookmarked for when I would go the DIY build my own lines route.
However, I see now that Busdepot is offering pre-made lines all ready to go. From the picture it looks like Parker hoses and fittings they have already put together. $180+shipping. And they usually give a Samba discount. I'm going to give them a try Cool Saves me the time of driving 30 minutes to my nearest Parker hose dealer.

http://www.busdepot.com/251498100

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a new High Pressure line made up at a Cauliflower Inc (Parker Hose Dealer) here in Annapolis MD.

I used the straight fittings. The guy gave me a blue hose.

I aksed about using a lower psi burst rate hose, he said the 4800 is the most common and so the price is not much different.

Took the guy all of 3 minutes to do, cost me $158... Shocked

Ohh well, good to have it done and done right. Now I will have to save up to get the LP side down.

-Ben
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
FalcorWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lines Reply with quote

Have you installed these yet? I'm about to and order them. I have a 1984 Westfalia (site lists them as only fitting 85-91) but I called busdepot and they claim they will fit mine as well. Let me know how they worked out. Thanks!

James 93SLC wrote:
However, I see now that Busdepot is offering pre-made lines all ready to go. From the picture it looks like Parker hoses and fittings they have already put together. $180+shipping. And they usually give a Samba discount. I'm going to give them a try Cool Saves me the time of driving 30 minutes to my nearest Parker hose dealer.

James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket lines Reply with quote

Not yet. Other projects have taken precedence.

FalcorWesty wrote:
Have you installed these yet? I'm about to and order them. I have a 1984 Westfalia (site lists them as only fitting 85-91) but I called busdepot and they claim they will fit mine as well. Let me know how they worked out. Thanks!

James 93SLC wrote:

-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
Does the low pressure hose have crimped ends as pictured and not just bare hose with clamps?

TIA
the stormtrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of this now and struggling to get the old hard lines out from over the fuel tank. Any tips for this? Are people dropping the fuel tank to do this?
wecm31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the lines just rear of the tank and abandoned the pieces above the tank.

Not worth dropping the tank for me, it was no problem threading the hoses
through the tunnel.

Next time I drop the tank, I'll think about removing the lines then.

Gone are the days we stopped to decide
Where we should go, we just ride:)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Retro-fit from an '85 Westy wreck Reply with quote

I just dropped the fuel tank, removed the old rack and pinion for installing a power steering unit from an '85 Westy that was totaled in a wreck back in 1995. The unit, as well as the hard lines, are in excellent condition (no rust with less then 75k miles on them)

Unfortunately, the one fleixible pressure line from the hard line back to the engine bay has gone missing. So, I need that line.

Besides length of hose, what do I need to tell the hose shop? It will require a female fitting on one end and a male fitting on the other end, both being the same as far as fitment.

I have the short flexible pressure line with the banjo fitting. I suppose they can figure it out from there.

The TDI ALH power steering pump will be pushing this unit.

Info welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through this ordeal myself and was wonder how the hoses from Bus Depot hook up to the power steering pump. http://www.busdepot.com/251498100 Do you still need the "bango" connector as well as low press side hose or do these hoses hook up directly to the pump itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: