Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Q's...best years / worst years?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Vanagon Q's...best years / worst years? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a Vanagon in the near future and are there better years and bad years of Vanagons?

I know, any year model has good and bad cars made....but sometimes a particular model year are just bad.

What year range was Air Cooled and what year started was water cooled?

Was there any year with 1.8L Rabbit engine factory installed? Or are those just conversions? I have a spare 1.8L Rabbit and 2.0 ABA engines here...

Thank you to those that response. JM

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air cooled vanagons were '80-83.5. Personally, I'd never get an air cooled vanagon. I'm not knocking them at all..they're great, but If I were to get something air cooled it would be a bay window bus (which I have and love). I consider the vanagons as a whole more modern cars, so I like my vanagon watercooled and medium rare. Waterboxers are more powerful, run cooler and the heat is much better.

Later vanagons had a 2.1L engine, earlier 83.5-'85 had the 1.9L. Both have their ups and downs, but in then end they aren't all that different. No real noticeable difference in power. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry.

Here's my thoughts/opinions when looking to buy:

I only look at campers or weekenders these days. they are just more fun and can still seat 6 people if you have a middle seat. I like the '87 and up because of the interior updates. They have more comfortable seats/beds (those came standard '86 or so), and a more modern interior. I know others will think differently, but I consider all the '87 to '91 campers to about the same and they are the best of the vanagons.

The syncro four wheel drive version became available in '86. They have been going up in value for the past few years and will fetch a higher price. Definitely worth it if you like to go off-road and have the money to spend....but be warned if they have high miles be prepared to spend some serious money on 4x4 maintenance in addition to the other typical vanagon maintenance which will likely be required to keep the vehicle reliable.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the 1986-1991 Vanagons are the most highly evolved of all. The 83.5-85 1.9 wasserboxers are really good vans too though and they are considerably cheaper than the later models. The 80-83 air-cooled models are the only ones I would really steer clear of. They are much harder to do an engine conversion in since they are not set up with a radiator and most people find the original engine wanting these days.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kd4yor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the diesel's
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the '87 to '91.
Very Happy

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kd4yor wrote:
the diesel's

I second that. Cool
kbatson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: 88's Reply with quote

I love both my girls!
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an aesthetics perspective, the later models are IMHO more attractive with slightly lower springs, nicer wheels and the wrap around fiberglass trim.

K
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Chrome bumpers and round headlights of the older models.
Not to fond of all the plastic on the later models.... but there all great so it mainly personal preference.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdowndub wrote:
I like the Chrome bumpers and round headlights of the older models.
Not to fond of all the plastic on the later models.... but there all great so it mainly personal preference.

The chrome bumpers are much sturdier, the fiberglass bumpers look great but they crack if you look at them the wrong way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elpedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
The chrome bumpers are much sturdier, the fiberglass bumpers look great but they crack if you look at them the wrong way.

And let's not forget how they fade, too. I adore my 89 Wolfsburg but I sincerely wish that it didn't have all the fiberglass on it. Someday I'll take it all off.

That said, I'm gonna put in a vote for the wonderful 87-91 Wolfsburg/Carat interior instead of a camper. I travel with small children on day trips or to sleepover destinations more often than I camp (for now) and when I do camp i either backpack or camp at a short distance away from the van, with my portable stove, tent, etc. So maybe in a few years I'll wish I had a pop-top but for the last ten years I've been happy with first a bus and now a van that have both had the bed, the table, and the jump seats. It's also way lighter, drives better, gets better mileage, and requires less maintenance than a full camper. That's my $0.015 adjusted for stagflation.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points everyone!

I just got off the phone with an old friend that HAD....(1 1/2 Month too late to call him...) a Vanagon diesel Westy that he had converted to a gas Jetta engine back in the day.

But a local guy had spotted it in his driveway and bought it for $2,000!
Bummer, as I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent 16v Twin cam, automatic, 4dr that would have been a great trade car for his daughter as she is getting her lic. soon!

I'll keep looking....

The fiberglass body panels people are talking about: Real fiberglass or polyurethane panels?

Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick model overview.

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=54

And more reading material.

http://www.gowesty.com/library.php
tonyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of chrome bumpers-anyone know where to pick up a rear chrome bumber for an 87 Westy? Mine's still there but has a big ol' dent in the middle. I'm in Idaho if that makes any difference.
Thanks, TK
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Q's...best years / worst years? Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
Was there any year with 1.8L Rabbit engine factory installed? Or are those just conversions? I have a spare 1.8L Rabbit and 2.0 ABA engines here...

I'm enjoying my ABA --> air cooled. Lot of work to swap though. A common VW I4 combo is ABA block/counterflow head/Digifant.

The '85 is neat IMO. Has round headlights, better slider door/latch, e-brake handle, shift linkage, and other possible small improvements. There were changes mid year IIRC. Not sure what/when.

The '85 I parted had older style strut bar/calipers etc. Bentley shows Nov. '84 as being changeover for the different strut bar. Question

Anyone know if the late '85 Vanagons have the improved front suspension and brakes?

Personally front end/brake improvements alone would be a compelling reason to get an '86+ model.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice to have a wish list, but in the end, I think we end up with the one that comes along that is in our budget. Just like the one you missed out on. When you do miss out on one, just tell yourself it was not meant to be and move on. I hate rust. Look for one without rust regardless of year. You can live with everything else.
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If rust matters get an 86-91. They improved the rust protection (a little) in 86. And the syncro apparently has galvanized doors (not sure why, never seen a rusty door). Good luck with the searching!

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust? What is RUST in sunny So. Calif. areas?

Yes, no rust for me as I have gone down that road before.....but it is good to know the later years had better protection.

reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in...I love my air-cooled. They are all slow the main thing is get one without rust and has been properly maintained. I think any of the years is fine then. The air-cooled's have options as well like the Camper Special engine, or you can do a watercooled engine swap. If you are looking for a camper in particular they all work the same when you get to your destination. But a rusted out anything is worse than a well maintained rust free air-cooled.
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the 86 Westy. Brown inside so doesn't get that dingy grey look. Put in syncro front seats and enjoy the ride. They are thicker like the later seats and our has the manual locks and windows. Very reliable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: