Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Q's...best years / worst years?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the interior on my 91, but I wish it had the diesel that my 88 does.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Q's...best years / worst years? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
werksberg wrote:
Was there any year with 1.8L Rabbit engine factory installed? Or are those just conversions? I have a spare 1.8L Rabbit and 2.0 ABA engines here...

I'm enjoying my ABA --> air cooled. Lot of work to swap though. A common VW I4 combo is ABA block/counterflow head/Digifant.
Neil.

I'm betting they use the counter flow head instead of the better cross flow head which has the intake manifold going up and over the valve cover, unlike the counter flow head? Is there an engine clearance problem?

JM

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 85, and in many ways, of course, it's my favorite year. I like the tan interior. I've always liked earth-tones though, so no surprise there. Wasn't aware of the better rust protection of the later vans, so that's good to know.

I think the best advice is going to be, get the newest, best conditioned van your budget will allow. The things you need to watch for (rust, neglected maintenance, damage, etc) are going be roughly the same for all Vanagons.

When you are looking at the difference between an 85 or a 91, you're looking at a difference of 25 years old versus 19 years old. Point is, neither one is young!!!!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.

Last edited by hiram6 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither am I for that fact! Laughing

This will not be my main vehicle as right now I have 9x and 4x are register for the street......but I want to thin the heard....

Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone else has already brought up the good and bad points for the various iterations of the Vanagon, so I will put my personal vote in for the AC Vans.
I've had mine for almost 17 years now, with one top end rebuild on the engine in that time. Driven it around the country several times, commuted in it, used it as a moving van multiple times, lived in it for just over a year in college, and now take the family (the wife and two little kids) camping in it. I bought the AC over WC because of the WC leakage problems, but that isn't really an issue anymore.
That being said, I would love to also have a 89-91 Carat Weekender....I do like the look of these vans with the lower springs and more modern interior with electric windows and mirrors.

I like the idea that the Vanagon that comes along at the right time and price is the perfect one for you.
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the automatic trans in the later models like a 1990 model?

Some what easy to covert it to a manual trans? Is most everything already there?

iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember to take into account also whether you will be putting in an engine transplant. if you put a subaru engine into an '84-'85 or an '86-'91, nearly all the important differences between those ranges of years are gone.
ddonnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too me both have their ups and downs..

I have a 1990 Carat, yes the bumpers shatter it you close your door too hard, and that other than that being said, I absolutely love it! There are quirks, but what car doesn't.. I have just over 85k on the odometer, and the tranny is giving me lip occasionally, but nothing huge. I like the suspension, however at times I wish I was higher so I can fit larger tires and do better off road. The interior is one of a kind. To me, I couldn't ask for much more. Being a college student now, just pop up the table to do homework in between classes and pull the bed down and out for a quick power nap. I want to convert the electric windows to manual ones, the switches and motors are going out on me. One other issue with the later vans is the "VS" (Vanagon Syndrome). Nothing a $2 part can't fix though.
Hope you find the one you are looking for.

Glad you got the disease yet? Laughing

instagram #bajabugproject
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the only tangible difference that can't be improved upon is the sliding door. It really is better late '85 and up. Other than that, they are all good.

I like the simplicity of my '84 no power nuthin...
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I got really lucky in finding a 1990 base model. I didn't know they existed til I found it. It has the higher ride height of the early models, power nothing, no fiberglass bumpers, full rubber flooring, the upgraded 3/4 slider, 2.1 motor(easier to work on, simpler), rear facing jump seats, full rear bed, and the IMO more attractive look of the '89-'91 models. When I go to the car wash I hose out the interior without even removing the rubber mats! Very nice. My 2 cents.

-Rob
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 3 vans 1.9 wbx and aircooled vw and porsche the vw aircooled is loads more reliable just as fast as the waterboxer with a few tweeks , and loads easier to work on and maintain no head stud problems the only down side is the heater but you can always fit a eberspacher or a porsche engine which cures the heating problem
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a nice write up... in French Smile

http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_historique1.htm

The best year: there is no best year, they are all bad, it's an horrible van.
Do it for you, run away from those Aries-K look alike van wile your still can.

I don't know, buy a Chevy Astro.

A Vanagon will end up costing you anything between 15-20K in a year or 2 anyway.

The only best year/van is mine, period Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just kidding... or not Smile

Ben

And get a real engine in there:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rsxsr said it best, we end up with the one that comes along and fits our budget.

That aside, you really can't go wrong with any of the models. Some of the later versions are nice, but overpriced in many instances.

Consider a pop-top, but only opt for a full camper if you actually plan to use it. If you don't plan to use it (much like the 4wd in a Syncro) it's just a lot of extra weight and more stuff to maintain - not to mention the loss of two seating positions. The Weekender packages with the pop top, a rear closet, and no stove-sink-fridge combos are really cool! I think the Weekender/ Multivan option was available from 84-91.

I have to agree that the brown/tan interior endures much nicer than the gray interiors which look dingy after a short time. This would narrow it to the 85-86 model years, (maybe some 87s?).

Any of these vehicles are going to require some rehabbing due to age. It's not hard to take an early model van and make it perform far better than a later model van (suspension, engine, brakes). Just find one that's got a straight body, is clean, and something you see potential in.

Good luck!
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a full size Ford e-150 van for work...but I want a VW van for lite camping and meets.

I did ask yesterday a widow of an ACVW legend about his old WBX Vanagon but she isn't ready yet to sell it.... Sad YET! Cool

I'll find one...just like most of you have stated.....it will come when it is the right time. Wink

toddc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: best model year? Reply with quote

so, is there really a "best year"? Do folks think that there is ANY important difference between an 87 Wolfsburg Ed. and a 90/91 Carat, other than the carats have the exterior side bottom trim piece? I've owned both, and am now searching for weekender no. 3, and am wondering if there is any reason skip the 87s-89s and look only for a Carat.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, newest and well cared for is "best" to me. I always look for those two things. Newer is better than older, and well cared for is better than neglected. You need to have both to make it work. If you keep that in mind, you will have a much better experience with your van purchase.
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best year Vanagon or Westphalia is the one that you have in your driveway that is running and paid for!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windnsea wrote:
The best year Vanagon or Westphalia is the one that you have in your driveway that is running and paid for!

Who wants to sit in their driveway? Laughing The one that is taking you to points yet unknown. Arrow
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air-cooled vanagon westfalias are bar none the best value in the vintage vw market. maybe because no-one considers them 'vintage'. maybe because the aircooled engine is seen as a big minus factor. (i don't - as long as you understand the characteristics/limitations of the engine, it will provide lots of useful service) but you could buy two running aircooled vanagon westies for the price of one of ben's vanaru engines. so if money is an object...
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone mentioned earlier 87-91, but, the only thing that separates the 86 model is the A/C setup, which is not that different, but it is weaker. But weaker than shitty...is still shitty.

I pulled my hair out for years over this one, this is what I finally concluded.

* I would never cook bacon in my van, or wash dishes in my van (Hooray, remove all campers from list).
* I want some living space in the van for camping, putting on my ski boots and hanging out (passengers are out, weekender is in!).
* I would like to go of road, play on the rocks, kick ass in the snow (this requirement did not really narrow the field. A rear locker is pretty sweet, but a syncro is mo bettuh!)

I really wanted an MV, and spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to get them 4x4. I caved when I found my current 86. Personally, a 23 window syncro would suit me fine! But I settled.

Another note about 4x4. If you are doing your own work, they are not that big of a deal. Certain things are a bit irritating, but I got over them pretty quick. The skid bars get in the way for pretty much everything, but they are easy to remove, and I just take them off for months at a time to work. There is a significant expense to a decoupler, and maintaining the ridiculous AWD system, but that is just a drop in the bucket man! I bought my Van for $8,500. It has nearly $10k more in it now and you would never know, it still looks like the same ol bucket. Maybe another $10k will do the trick?

Anyway, kids+dogs+camping+desert+snow & winter sports+southern Utah = Weekender Syncro or weekender with a locking reat diff. The 3 person bench and two jumpseat option is tough to beat.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: