Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Hieronimus Woodstock Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
If the bus were still around, I'd assume that photo with the roof-mounted stinkfoots would actually de-value the bus.

Laughing
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. The bus is supposed to be a 63 so it would be an older hippy with a 6 year old bus. Looking at the Woodstock photo can anyone confirm it is a 63? Ether way it would be cool to own it just for the history. And cooler to have it on display at the museum at Bethel NY.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd like to see it next to this bus:

arthurnugen wrote:
I have a useless comment, but since this thread is useless, here goes:

Wasn't Woodstock in '69? If so, that bus in the picture must have been relatively new, i.e. expensive for the time. I bet those "hippies" are just "yuppie" posers. Laughing No stinkfoot could afford a newer (at the time) bus.

Same thing for any other buses there: unless it was an early 50s model (doubtful) then most were relatively newer vehicles, right?

See, told you it was useless.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spiderjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon guys, that bus is one of, if not the most recognizble icons from woodstock. It is the one picture that forever ties the VW bus to the hippie movement. If it were found and in any kind of remotely decent shape it would fetch some serious cash. Not from VW fans but from fans of the woodstock era.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
I have a useless comment, but since this thread is useless, here goes:

Wasn't Woodstock in '69? If so, that bus in the picture must have been relatively new, i.e. expensive for the time. I bet those "hippies" are just "yuppie" posers. Laughing No stinkfoot could afford a newer (at the time) bus.

Same thing for any other buses there: unless it was an early 50s model (doubtful) then most were relatively newer vehicles, right?

See, told you it was useless.

A friend of mine was at Woodstock, in a 60's bus, (I can't recall the exact year) and he had just returned from Vietnam and bought the bus with some saved up wages. It was possible to afford a relatively new bus at the time.

I will ask him if he remembers the year and what he paid. And before all the "stoned hippy can't remember shit" jokes, he is pretty sharp and likely will remember it.

I don't think the bus would fetch huge dollars if it were found and sold, but it would definitely be worth more than a run-of-the-mill bus of the same vintage and condition. That said, many of those old hippies have joined society and it's capitalist evils to become quite wealthy. They would have the means to purchase the bus for their personal flashback museum.

I personally hope it is not found. I try not to allow images of tie-dyed hippies into my brain.
spiderjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess hippies have fallen out of favor in the post punk era?
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: definition Reply with quote

Let me clear up a misconception. Those are not "stinkfoots" on the top of that bus. Those are real genuine hippies. Stinkfoots were those wannabe's that followed later, drove bread baskets, gerally followed the greatful dead and were just totally clueless. I roomed with a bunch of those tards in college. I answered an ad and liked the room. Later I went in the kitchen and made a hamburger. You would have thought I butchered a whole village of ethiopian children and ate them. Let's not confuse the two terms. Stinkfoots are not hippies.
spiderjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the gentleman on top of the bus is a hippie either. Light was a rock band and many rock musician embraced the hippie movement not because they believed in it necessarily, but because it provided them with an outlet for their music, access to women , drugs etc.

I had never heard the term stinkfoot until hearing it here on the samba
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Grunthaner wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. The bus is supposed to be a 63 so it would be an older hippy with a 6 year old bus. Looking at the Woodstock photo can anyone confirm it is a 63? Ether way it would be cool to own it just for the history. And cooler to have it on display at the museum at Bethel NY.

X2 on the thought, most busses i see are fried egg busses. so yes, they are fairly new. but, alot of the cars you see in the pics are fairly new, not many 50's era looking cars, i see mid 60's station wagons, mustangs, etc. in many pics.

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and i found this, you think a 1963 bus was a new bus for woodstock then check this out

1968 bay window DELUXE!!!

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: definition Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
Let me clear up a misconception. Those are not "stinkfoots" on the top of that bus. . Stinkfoots are not hippies.
Sure they are... I can clearly see the offending feet in the photo. Very Happy
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: definition Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
Let me clear up a misconception. Those are not "stinkfoots" on the top of that bus. Those are real genuine hippies. Stinkfoots were those wannabe's that followed later, drove bread baskets, gerally followed the greatful dead and were just totally clueless. I roomed with a bunch of those tards in college. I answered an ad and liked the room. Later I went in the kitchen and made a hamburger. You would have thought I butchered a whole village of ethiopian children and ate them. Let's not confuse the two terms. Stinkfoots are not hippies.

To the stinkfoot, trustifarian, neo-hippie an bus is a much need accessory to their lifestyle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a reply from an assistant of the artist Dr. Bob Hieronimus on the model of the Light Bus and they are making corrections as it implies a 1969 Bus but they meant Woodstock was in 1969. They also sent me this clip as to any info on the bus whereabouts. Interesting clip as they interviewed Trudy Morgal the girl who was sitting on the bus at Woodstock and the owner & band member of Light Bob Grim & artist Bob Hieronimus. I emailed back as to some of the locations mentioned in the video. Has anyone ever heard of where this Rusco Mansion (renamed from Sevetra) is located? I’ll be upstate soon and would like to zero in on those spots for a search of the grounds or local junkyards. You just never know what will come out of this.

Here is the video she sent:
[url] http://wjz.com/morningedition/woodstock.bus.light.2.1132988.html
[/url]

Bus

prepainted sketch

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see a stinkfoot...er... hippie in the pass. window in that pic.. What kind of "Doctor" was the painter?... Think ... indepedent pharmacist?.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the videao the call it "THE" Iconic image of woodstock?
I call it 3 old stinkfoots trying to get a couple more seconds tacked onto
their 15 minutes of fame and squeeze any extra cash outta this they can.
Iconic image...LOL

As funny is it took the hippies 5 years to get the toy model mocked up HAHAHA!
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: definition Reply with quote

66uno wrote:

Hippies, stinkfoots, trustafarians, whatever. They are all the same.

They all love hugs, hate big brother, would protest a protest and believe they need to "educate" everyone else of their misgivings and wrong-doings when they all need a mudhole stomped in their ass with a pair of 20 hole Doc's.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: hippies Reply with quote

Sheesh Crofty. Me thinks you should thank God for them hippies. They brought awareness to the environment, to the finite nature of oil, to the need for sustainable energy, for recycling and most of all, population control. They opposed a ridiculous war, were hated for it and vindicated by history. And, anyone listening to the music of Woodstock and that era would have to conclude that it was the greatest and most creative music of any time.

Whatever specific substances they were taking or smoking, it seems to me, the world needs a whole lot more of and maybe you should give a try. Embarassed
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting issue. I have wildly contradicting feelings here. On one side, I agree with Crofty, if not even more militantly, but on the other, I SOOOO appreciate the freedom WE HAVE to cruise this country in any way we want. Petrolie oil, bones and knives hanging from your belt, stinky dog, lice, "style", all that. Sometimes I pick up bums hitch-hiking to give me perspective so as to not forget my own fortune, and, while also helping someone in need, allow myself the chance to appreciate a sliver of a different culture than I'm used to.

In this example of Missouri Stinkfoots in Ukiah, I employed the ladder so the larger stinkfoot could throw both his and his girlfriend's large packs on the roof rack. The petroli oil stench coming off these two was so high it actually increased the RPM when it wafted into the engine compartment. I think they smoked a bowl while I drove them up the road a ways. This would make a good Wikipidia photo if someone wants to add "Stinkfoot" to the list of important and useful terms there.

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: hippies Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
And, anyone listening to the music of Woodstock and that era would have to conclude that it was the greatest and most creative music of any time.

The Greatful Dead WILL NOT be included in the above comment. They were a one -or maybe- two hit wonder that obviously took WAYY too many hits. Impov is not music.

For the record: drum circles ARE reason domestic use of hand grenades. Twisted Evil
delamaize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: hippies Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
66uno wrote:
And, anyone listening to the music of Woodstock and that era would have to conclude that it was the greatest and most creative music of any time.

The Greatful Dead WILL NOT be included in the above comment. They were a one -or maybe- two hit wonder that obviously took WAYY too many hits. Impov is not music.

For the record: drum circles ARE reason domestic use of hand grenades. Twisted Evil

to quote Guitar Hero 3: "20 minute free-form jazz odysseys are not O.K."
His non-attention to detail really sets it apart. I see a new trend.......call it " 'tard ride".
Sled wrote:
The tard box will live again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the big deal. Don't bathe in December, order a latte', play some Phish on an Ipod and recreate that entire bus in vinyl sign material on an E100- done.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: