Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best snow chains?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Best snow chains? Reply with quote

This is what Denver and the surrounding areas look like today:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's supposed to be a foot on the ground after today, so I'm going to get some chains. A friend said he uses cable chains because they are easier on his wells.

I was curious to see what you guys in snowy areas use too.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my tires. I've chained up one time and one time only, on a mountain in Vermont. Never had the need for chains otherwise, and we get up to 200 inches of snow a year in Syracuse. They were chain chains and I had no problems with them at all the one time I used them. I don't understand how they could affect your wheel wells unless they weren't installed properly and came off, in which case it doesn't matter what you have wrapped around the tires, it's gonna f*ck your Bus up good.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
I use my tires. I've chained up one time and one time only, on a mountain in Vermont. Never had the need for chains otherwise, and we get up to 200 inches of snow a year in Syracuse. They were chain chains and I had no problems with them at all the one time I used them. I don't understand how they could affect your wheel wells unless they weren't installed properly and came off, in which case it doesn't matter what you have wrapped around the tires, it's gonna f*ck your Bus up good.

I've never used chains either, but the way my bus handles normally makes me think it may be good for me to use them until I get used to driving it more in the snow.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bus is a tank in the snow. I only had to chain up the one time because my tires were horribly inadequate at the time, it was right after I put it on the road and I hadn't put on the new tires yet. Since then, I've never needed them.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One winter in Cripple Creek I had my chains on for a month straight...7% grade up to town from my place. Cable chains are Garbage! If you're gonna buy chains get the best you can afford...there are NO returns.

Hancook I-Pikes are also great dirrectional winter tires...Discount Tire sells them and they come with or without studs

ETA: NO they are not TRUCK tires (load range) but the grab like vise grips.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you just need chains....
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:

Sometimes you just need chains....

Thanks for the reminder. I see those signs frequently here in CO and I never used to think twice about them Very Happy
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I see those signs frequently here in CO and I never used to think twice about them Very Happy

Pretty sure that's an I-70 sign in that pic...But I've had trouble in CO just getting up HWY 24 from Co Springs to Divide...I like the diamond style chains as they roll good at 45mph.

avoid these.

look for these

East coast drivers should avoid this thread.........they have NO mountains there!
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have the original chains my bus came supplied with from Carter VW in Seattle, they are the cable type, personally I would think regular chains would be overkill.
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I invested any money in chains, I would really have to think about how bad I wanted to drive my bus there. I never owned chains all the time I lived in Utah and Colorado

Snow tires will get you most places that you have to be at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkirwin wrote:
FWIW I have the original chains my bus came supplied with from Carter VW in Seattle, they are the cable type, personally I would think regular chains would be overkill.

And you are in Billings? Take your bus up to Red Lodge, and then begin the climb up Beartooth Pass.....in the snow, before they close it.

Cable chains are garbage in the mountains.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to be commuting with very mild inclines at all to and from work, so cables should be fine.
Brett0424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that sign is referring to chain laws for trucks on I70.
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
kkirwin wrote:

And you are in Billings? Take your bus up to Red Lodge, and then begin the climb up Beartooth Pass.....in the snow, before they close it.

Cable chains are garbage in the mountains.

Yep, I live in Billings and have been over Beartooth pass more times than I can count. I think you have misunderstood me, if you want to use chains knock yourself out, I am not endorsing one style over the other. I have lived here for 38 years and have never used chains on paved roads or whether it be Beartooth pass, Mcdonald pass, Homestake, Snowqualmie or whatever. I guess I know how to drive in the snow and on slick roads and always have excellent tires on my cars. The only time I have ever used chains was when my buddy and I were retrieving an elk in the mountains those chains made his '67 Willy's Jeep go through 2 ft of snow like it was a SkiDoo. Not using chains is my choice and I guess if I was at the point where I felt I needed to chain up I think I would turn around and go get my 4x4 truck.
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cobhc619
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably pretty obvious but make sure they are the right size for the tires or else they can slap around and maybe mess up the wheel wells as mentioned above
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze volks, it's just chains, not "do you use them and why?" Rolling Eyes

If you don't have mud+snow tires (and a 4x4) and the conditions are slippery, like slushy and icy, traction devices will be necessary. Big deal.

Be sure to ready the instructions and TEST FIT them! Don't wait to find out they don't fit when you actually need them! Also, you normally don't drive above 35mph with chains/chains because they will fling up and can possibly scrape your fenders.

As was pointed out, knowing how to drive in slippery conditions is a good skill to learn. I've found that stopping isn't always a good idea and that you want to keep your forward momentum going so learning how to double-clutch to 2nd and 1st (you only double-clutch when down-shifting for this conversation) is a excellent skill to know. But that's another arguement, I'm sure, and can be found via search Wink
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
Jeeze volks, it's just chains, not "do you use them and why?" Rolling Eyes

Thanks man. I know I didn't write "Hey, come on in and let me know why you are so awesome that you don't need chains, please" in the title, but I had to double check.

I learned to drive in snow and I lived in Ohio for 9 years. Anyone who's ever lived in Ohio knows how bad midwest snow storms can be. I'm a very good snow driver and I'm proud to say that I've always been a driver that has driven responsibly and carefully, and never one of those that ended up stuck in a snow bank.

However, I've always driven two-wheel drive sedans, aircooled beetles and my favorite snow vehicle - my AWD 1993 Subary Legacy wagon, which made snow driving a cakewalk.

I just figure this year I'd give cable chains a shot, because it's been ages since I last drove a van. Rather than convince myself of my snow-driving awesomeness, I'm going to give myself some peace of mind this season.

Besides, the previous owners threw on passenger P215/70R14 tires on there, so I have the wrong tires. Unfortunately, I can't afford new tires right now, so snow tires are out of the question.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on 73kombi's recommendation for the diamond-style chains over the other type. Got a pair of those for my '75 and they rock -- there was over a foot of snow for a week and a half last winter, and I had no trouble getting to work or anywhere else I needed to go in town, even when loaded down with almost a half-ton of ice melting salt and snow shovels. Couldn't say the same for the SUV drivers or the jacked-up-Jeep brigade...

And before anyone says anything smart-arsed about a week of snow being no big deal .. Portland doesn't get snow very often, and isn't set up to handle it. Not the city of Portland itself, not the surrounding cities, and certainly not a good portion of the residents. Most of the city basically shut down for a few days...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we drove from the Oklahoma line the Phoenix one year on snow and ice, most of it with chains. You want some that are hardened, fit your tires really well and have parts available to fix them when they break. We snapped a link near Dallas and the chain came off with the hook grabbing a brake line. Had I rolled 6 inches further forward it would have pulled the brake line out so I would say get something with hooks designed so they reduce the chance of grabbing things if the chains come loose. We used to like the style that had hardened V's welded on the links but those are hard to find now. When you need chains in a bus you really need something that bites because with decent tires buses will grab pretty good in snow. On ice buses do lose control and tip sometimes. We've seen it before. Kinda strange to pass one on its side on ice and you are thinking, gee, if it can happen to him...........
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

And before anyone says anything smart-arsed about a week of snow being no big deal .. Portland doesn't get snow very often, and isn't set up to handle it. Not the city of Portland itself, not the surrounding cities, and certainly not a good portion of the residents. Most of the city basically shut down for a few days...

I feel your pain. Denver dropped the ball big-time in the 2006 back-to-back blizzards and got huge flak for it.

In 2007 and 2008 the city had plows out even when they were barely needed, and at very early hours. They even sent out pamphlets telling people of their plow strategy.

This year they've done a great job on the streets, but the highways were full of slush and ice until about mid-day. I'm hoping they'll be a bit better tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: