Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

chinesium fuel pump that PO put in the van is cooked.

I've scoured threads and ended up ordering a $49 Hayg-Walbro after seeing a few solid posters recommend them as a less expensive option.

It will be here Friday but in the meantime, I'm going to pick up a couple more less expensive options, or maybe a more expensive option.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the newer Bosch and I can't find them anywhere for under a hundo, so I'm torn. There's a fellow locally who has an old Bosch that he says works well for $50. I've heard tales of the original Bosch pumps going for 200k+ miles, so this might be an option as well. A new Pierburg is not in the cards at this time.

What's the skinny on fuel pumps in August 2022? I appreciate your expeirience and opinions

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

If you state the model year of your van that would help.
Assuming yours is a Vanagon with EFI I would only use the Bosch pump.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=976818&cc=1286546&pt=6256&jsn=403

I recently installed one of these on my 84 Vanagon. Works fine with no excess noise. Replaced the OE pump, over 300K miles and 37 yrs.
A parts supplier I have bought from has this motto in their catalog:
"Buy the Best and Cry Once."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
...I've heard tales of the original Bosch pumps going for 200k+ miles...

My 84 still has its original pump at 275,000 miles.

I carry a spare of course... an old NOS Bosch.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:

Seconded. If its in the budget, go for the Bosch.

If not, I have had a cheap pump off of Amazon on my van for almost a year with no issues (granted, that equals to about four tanks of gas so far, so take that for what's worth...).

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:
...I've heard tales of the original Bosch pumps going for 200k+ miles...

My 84 still has its original pump at 275,000 miles.

I carry a spare of course... an old NOS Bosch.

yeah, man, that's what I'm thinking. I might try the $50 used old Bosch too, return to the dude if it doesn't work.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
If you state the model year of your van that would help.
Assuming yours is a Vanagon with EFI I would only use the Bosch pump.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=976818&cc=1286546&pt=6256&jsn=403

I recently installed one of these on my 84 Vanagon. Works fine with no excess noise. Replaced the OE pump, over 300K miles and 37 yrs.
A parts supplier I have bought from has this motto in their catalog:

right on. thanks for the rock auto link. model/year are in my signature =) 85 GL, stock 1.9

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

OEM Bosch EFI pumps last almost forever unless they get junk in them or are run dry.
As I wrote, the OE pump in my 84 was replaced about 2 months ago. It still works, but there was a hiccup and stall on a low fuel tank. Did not want to take a chance of failure.
A friend's Mustang pump failed at 8 yrs and 110K miles. And was a PITA to replace. Needed to remove the fuel tank. Unfortunately that is very common on many vehicles. Jettas, Golfs, from mid 80s had in tank pump. Actually 2 pumps. The front engine VWs have access to the in tank pump under the back seat or in the trunk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pumps, gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

I've got the cheap Chinese (well it was at least $49) in my van and it's been running fine for a few years.
So I bought another that lives in the van just in case.

I also have an old Bosch one that appeared to work well, but when actually installed and run was found to leak at the crimp. Probably the O-ring seal dried out and shrank. So keep that in mind if you keep a "good used" pump in the van.

And if you do have a good used one, I'd run some ATF through it for storage to hopefully keep the insides from rusting and corroding, and any seals and O-rings from drying out and shrinking.

I do this with old mechanical fuel pumps for my old cars.

I think the biggest killer of fuel pumps is old rancid gas. Not six month old gas, but really old stuff that smells rank and turns dark or reddish. Lots of vehicles have sat for a few years before us enthusiasts buy them.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Way back when I used to keep the FAQ, I worried about such things.

There are a few threads that would help.

Here is one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363698

Use the FAQ, Luke

BTW: My fuel pump in my 1990 has well over 200K on it. Do not make me worry about it, please.

Further the old pumps can be brought back to life frequently with diesel fuel. Find that thread!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

I've scoured threads and ended up ordering a $49 Hayg-Walbro after seeing a few solid posters recommend them as a less expensive option.

I made that mistake earlier this year, purchased that same $50 Hayg fuel pump. I would return it especially if purchased from eBay. It’s a noisy pump!

You will be better off purchasing a better quality and quiet pump.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

85 mustang pump works perfect
Rear discs
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Make sure that the pump is for the fuel injected Mustang, some came with a Holley 4V (last year for a carb) and use a low pressure mechanical pump.

Later '80s Mustangs used an "in the tank" pump, not suitable for inline use.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

skemems wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

I made that mistake earlier this year, purchased that same $50 Hayg fuel pump. I would return it especially if purchased from eBay. It’s a noisy pump!

Popped it in today and its quiet after 50+ miles. Time will tell but the van is running much better

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Now after the fact, but FWIW...

Last fall the existing fuel pump (whatever came with our '90 Westy) started singing like a soprano on steroids. Chris was getting anxious about the sound, and I wasn't thrilled by it, either.

NAPA had the Bosch version in stock, I paid an arm and a leg for it, but having a spare on hand was enough to drop anxiety levels (yea!). I swapped out the old pump in Welcome, NV (v. cool RV park off I-80 - Welcome Station RV Park, the owner supplied a better wrench for the terminals' nuts, and useful advice).

Less than 10K later, it works, but sings slightly.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Just wondering what the consensus is on these $20 fuel pumps that are scattered all over ebay? Was not planning on using it as a main, but throwing it in as a spare. Of course, if I have to use it as a spare, it might just end up staying there.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232458583277?fits=Year%3A...R97ho-etYg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354318840941?fits=Year%3A...R97ho-etYg
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

My inclination is to say "ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances". I suppose that were I on the side of the road with a dead pump, and with a $20 special tucked in the spares box, it'd look mighty good.

OTOH, all the way to getting a "real" pump, I might be saying "so far, so good".

All of that said, $200 + for a Bosch pump is kinda painful. The replacement pump "sang", too. Bought in Twin Falls, ID, a year and a half later it was replaced at no cost (for the pump) under warranty. The $200+ bet I'd be covered if the pump went sour paid off.

The Ambler, PA NAPA got points for "it's under warranty - we can replace that" from the start. NAPA, I regret to say, lost points for charging me shipping for the replacement pump. Grrr...
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

I bought my truck at about 78k mileage and I still have that fuel pump which I believe is the original Bosch, it is Bosch for sure and I've never replaced it. I'm at about 130-140k mileage now. It's been fine with the wbx, the ez30 and now the ej2.5. I have an aeromotive regulator since the ez engine swap.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
skemems wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

Popped it in today and its quiet after 50+ miles. Time will tell but the van is running much better

Don't want to jinx myself but just about a year later and the Hayg-Walbro is nice and quiet.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

I purchased a brand new "Last of the quality GERMAN made Bosch pumps!" Several years back for my 86 from BusDepot.

I put it in, tossed the old pump and headed West.

I made it from NE New Jersey to Mountain Home Idaho, spent the night in a hotel.
The next morning....... nothing..... NADA ..... dead.

Called a friend in Boise who picked up a Bosch fuel pump at a local flaps nd she brought it to us.

Bolted it in and off we went.

The new pump was a Bosch made in Yugoslavia unit.

It is still running today many years later.

BusDepot warrantied the pump and ever since I carry a known good spare fuel pump. (BusDepots replacement in this unit)

My 90 has a Bosch pump, I forget where it was manufactured.... I purchased it from FCP ...... it keeps running.
I ran ATF through the old one and packaged it up, this is my spare fuel pump should the need ever arise (and I'm 99 & 99/100ths % sure it won't).

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rusty84camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumps: gimme your opinions/experience Reply with quote

I'm running one of the cheap amazon units, it's new but sounds like hell. It gets louder after it runs for 30 minutes or so, going to swap it out with something else to see if it quiets down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: