Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 DD/WT build - Garry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled across this thread. The guy you bought this from (Rob) and I both had early Panels back in '99. Mine was as 59 DD and his was your Bus. A couple of years apart, but virtually the same Bus including color. We had a friendly bet going as to who was going to get their's on the road first. We both hashed away with intentions of getting our Bussed to VW's on the Green here in CO. The next thing you know almost ten years goes by with many changes in both of our lives. We often joked about the bet and how neither of us got the Busses done according to schedule. Well, long story short, Rob scaled back his collection (temporarily) and I slowly, but surely plugged away at mine. After nearly 10 years, mine is pretty much there:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Rob's is yours! I think that it's pretty neat to be able to follow the build on a Bus that I thought was long gone. That Bus spent many years in the High Country and it would be great for it to make a return visit upon it's completion. Busses at the Brewery is in August along with the Colorado Bug In. I'd be happy to be your personal guide (along with Rob) to the summit of Pikes Peak.

Here's the Peak:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's your Bus about 10 years back at the "Beach" at A-Basin, CO. This was during our Ski Party. That is Rob's stash of vintage wood:

Sorry for the hijack, but I thought it relevant to the thread.
GOOD LUCK!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smuggler, thanks for the background info on Rob's old bus. I have tried to follow up with him to see if I could get some old photos to preserve the history of the double door. If you can supply any more I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you know how to prod Rob to find pass on some old pics that would be great too. Even if you have to take your modern digital camera and re-photo old pics that would be better than nothing.
I searched vintage bus for the pic you posted but can not seem to find it? Got a link for that or any others?
Shoot me a PM if you need to pass on any other info.
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COBussmuggler wrote:
Just stumbled across this thread. The guy you bought this from (Rob) and I both had early Panels back in '99. Mine was as 59 DD and his was your Bus. A couple of years apart, but virtually the same Bus including color. We had a friendly bet going as to who was going to get their's on the road first. We both hashed away with intentions of getting our Bussed to VW's on the Green here in CO. The next thing you know almost ten years goes by with many changes in both of our lives. We often joked about the bet and how neither of us got the Busses done according to schedule. Well, long story short, Rob scaled back his collection (temporarily) and I slowly, but surely plugged away at mine. After nearly 10 years, mine is pretty much there:

And Rob's is yours! I think that it's pretty neat to be able to follow the build on a Bus that I thought was long gone. That Bus spent many years in the High Country and it would be great for it to make a return visit upon it's completion. Busses at the Brewery is in August along with the Colorado Bug In. I'd be happy to be your personal guide (along with Rob) to the summit of Pikes Peak.

Here's the Peak:

I just may take you up on that visit back to my bus's youthful stomping ground. I know the Pikes road well. Here was my view. Maybe next time from a splitscreen?

Getting the double door back there is not out of the question. I plan on driving it. I think it would be a blast to show up at Rob's place unannounced to take him for a ride. I appreciated his honesty and hospitality during my long distance purchase. It seemed a little scary and crazy at the time but it all went well.
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58deluxerag wrote:
Updates?

Oh yea, I got updates. Will work on getting them posted.
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Garry. Cool
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: 61DD build Reply with quote

Hey Garry,
like your build, hope you are busy working on the details and "getting it sorted" as the Brits say.
Thanks for the kind remarks on my build as I see you are on a like minded path.
The 944 n.a. brakes will astound you with their stopping force as I ran the same set-up in a earlier version of my d.c.
The balance is spot on using the stock 944 m.c. and with a sticky tires I felt it stopped better than anything short of the open wheeled race car I have driven, you will need it when that turbo becomes a bit too fun.

I am inspired by your m.c. road trip and awesome photo documentation,
very cool as I have seen alot of the western and south west part of your trip but by car(ghia convertible) but have never gone more than a few hundred miles at once by bike (hardcore cafe' racers) so I appreciate your sport touring ride.

Stephen.
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen,
For some time now I have had aspirations of duplicating many of my m/c adventures in a VW. I want to replicate many of the pictures with a VW at the various locations. I would hope to plan on attending various VW events around the USA , then take the long way home.
Garry
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while and since an update. A good bit of work has been done. Biggest event is that I now I have my motor from Paradise. Thanks to Jason and Kris.

Built a new motor stand to help finish fitting the tin and other parts.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the endplay on the turbo check out ok? You might already know this, but just wanted to save you a headache of a grenaded turbo sending shrapnel(sp?) through the engine. I'm curious how well it handled running with no oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Garry< looking great. I just stumbled upon this thread. Kind of funny Joe and I were just talking about your bus on our drive home today. See it in Florida next month?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roberto wrote:
Hey Garry< looking great. I just stumbled upon this thread. Kind of funny Joe and I were just talking about your bus on our drive home today. See it in Florida next month?

Hey Rob,
Pretty sure my bus will not be ready for Florida in Feb. It still has a ways to go before it is all ready to be put together. I am hoping for a debut this show season though.
Keep the short bus driver straight up there.
Garry
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope you can get that CB injection to actually work. If not youll be building another engine soon.
id say chuck it while your ahead and go aem ems. leaving everything else alone. Then call mase in FL and have him come up and tune it.
Thatd be the perfect deal.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The turbo was checked out by a well known local engine and race car builder. Then the Lauffers found no issue with it.
The fuel injection did have an issue. The control box was one of the first that CB produced. One of the injectors stayed on when Kris was tuning the motor. It was switched out with one with newer code and after that Kris said he was impressed and that it was actually doing what it was supposed to do.
So maybe CB has corrected the issues with their system.
Does anyone have any specifics that are known issues with the CB FI turbo system? Or just a general bad wrap?
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip and amazing build.
I love DDs and we see precious few of them here in Oz.
As far as I'm aware there are NO factory WTs here, let alone DD/WTs, so to see a Panel that's both is very cool.
I just know that Panel is going to be a rocket with your motor.
Keep up the great work.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebooger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad bought the whole CB turbo/efi system to put into a 356. We have had nothing but problems trying to get the motor to run right. It seems that the system does not want to deliver fuel consistently. The computer, and a mechanical fuel pressure gauge says that the fuel pressure is there. But it sounds as if the engine starves for fuel. The motor was ran on a dyno and did well making 185hp on 3lbs of boost (1915cc) After the dyno run, the engine was put into the car. The engine ran well, as it did on the dyno. We then pulled the motor to finish some sheet metal work in the engine bay. After that was done, the motor was put back in, and then our problems began. ???? We triple checked everything, to make sure we were not making any stupid errors. Everything was the same as before. After much aggravation, we decided to send the efi module to CB to see if it was fried. CB sent it back saying they had made some adjustments, but to no a due, the engine had the same issue. We are now in the midst of changing to a different system, a system that is actually designed for a V8 engine, the name of the system has slipped my mind at the moment. It is on the dyno at the moment, and I will get back to you with our results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known other guys that had extensive issues with EFI but it's worth it in the end. Please post a vid or 2 if you can as you make progress. I'd love to hear it when it fires up.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebooger wrote:
My dad bought the whole CB turbo/efi system to put into a 356. We have had nothing but problems trying to get the motor to run right. It seems that the system does not want to deliver fuel consistently. The computer, and a mechanical fuel pressure gauge says that the fuel pressure is there. But it sounds as if the engine starves for fuel. The motor was ran on a dyno and did well making 185hp on 3lbs of boost (1915cc) After the dyno run, the engine was put into the car. The engine ran well, as it did on the dyno. We then pulled the motor to finish some sheet metal work in the engine bay. After that was done, the motor was put back in, and then our problems began. ???? We triple checked everything, to make sure we were not making any stupid errors. Everything was the same as before. After much aggravation, we decided to send the efi module to CB to see if it was fried. CB sent it back saying they had made some adjustments, but to no a due, the engine had the same issue. We are now in the midst of changing to a different system, a system that is actually designed for a V8 engine, the name of the system has slipped my mind at the moment. It is on the dyno at the moment, and I will get back to you with our results.

I was told of issues with this system in the early stages of it's deployment. Hopefully this new ECU remedies all that. I will have to wait and see until I get the bus on the road.
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
Great trip and amazing build.
I love DDs and we see precious few of them here in Oz.
As far as I'm aware there are NO factory WTs here, let alone DD/WTs, so to see a Panel that's both is very cool.
I just know that Panel is going to be a rocket with your motor.
Keep up the great work.

Thanks Andy, I bet you got some cool stuff over there that we don't have.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.
Just the odd container van and RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) bus.
I guess it's all RHD but then everyone drives those here and you have a few stateside.
Anyhow, keep up the goodwork and I'll actually try and get my hacked '62 Panel on the road......after I gain some mechanical knowledge. Neutral Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: