Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATED with Van Cafe video link - Parts run Van Cafe'/SEA
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: UPDATED with Van Cafe video link - Parts run Van Cafe'/SEA Reply with quote

Attention western Oregon, western Washington and British Columbia/western Canada Vanagon, Westfalia and Transporter Enthusiasts!

I will be driving my single cab Transporter from the Seattle area to The Van Café in Santa Cruz California to personally pick up some large and heavy Vanagon parts that I need for a Westy restoration I’m working on. I will be departing from the Seattle area on Monday, November 16th and will return to the Seattle area on Friday November 20th.

I will have room in my truck for additional Van Café items and I’m willing to transport additional larger/heavy items for a modest fee to help offset my expenses and to assist other “enthusiasts” will the high cost of shipping large/heavy items. I’m really trying to limit this offer to the large and heavy items BUT if you want a few smaller items in addition to a large/heavy item, I’ll be happy to deliver smaller items at the same time.

I believe that a reasonable “formula” to determine a fair and reasonable cost for shipping large items may be approximately 1/3 of regular costs. As an example, if a set a BIG BUMPERS might normally cost $235 to truck to the Seattle area, I will pick up and deliver to the Seattle area for $75. And of course, actual costs will vary upon size, weight and location. This is definitely NOT a “for profit” trip; please do the math!

Ideally, actual delivery will be to a mutually convenient location so I don’t have to spend an entire day driving around looking for your house (yes, I know, there’s a Vanagon in the driveway!). I am also willing to have items picked up at my house on Bainbridge Island or my work place in Suquamish but remember there may be a ferry ride to consider. Depending upon response and additional cost, it may be possible for me to deliver Canadian “enthusiasts” items to Blaine WA.

If you have been on the fence about ordering a set of Van Café BIG BUMPERS, 15” or 16” wheels and tires, a SA grill kit, or other large and heavy item, NOW may be the time to order and save a considerable amount of green on shipping.

IMPORTANT!! The good folks at The Van Café will be directly cooperating in this venture. Please CALL IN or E-MAIL your Van Café order to ensure that your order will be processed as part of this special shipping offer. Also keep an eye out for the Van Café monthly news letter with their monthly specials.

If you need to get your tired transmission from the Seattle area to Bend OR for rebuilding, I will be passing through Bend on the southbound leg of my trip. I may even be able to pick up items in Bend OR on the northbound leg, depending upon actual demand. At this time I still have some room in my truck for the southbound leg and I'll be making stops in Bend OR, Redding and Livermore CA, then on to Santa Cruz.

Spouses of Vanagon, Westfalia, and Transporter Enthusiast… If you’re planning to give your SO some Van Café bling this Christmas but don’t want them to discover those bumpers, wheels or BIG brakes, etc. hidden in the front hall closet; I will store your large/heavy items until the week before Christmas but you will need to pick up at my Suquamish or Bainbridge location.

Questions? Please p-mail me at [email protected] For questions about Van Café items and shipping costs contact [email protected] or call them at 831-426-1244

Thanks for your attention regarding this matter.

Andrew Martin
Bainbridge Island WA
1985 Vanagon Westfalia
1985 Transporter single cab 1.6L TD
1987 Westfalia Weekender (the new project!)

Last edited by turbotransporter on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been on the fence about ordering the big bumps over the shipping amount for a long time if i was in the nw id really appreciate this opportunity...good looking out Wink
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the shipping costs to New Hampshire might be quite painful. Did you get a quote?

I know a guy who ships vintage wooden canoes and small wooden boats all over the US. Last month he had a beautiful (though somewhat delicate) 10' Penn Yan tender from Tacoma WA to Northampton MA for $450. A set of big bumpers couldn't cost that much to ship, could it? This same guy also uses u-ship.com for other items with very good results.

We gotta think outside the box...

I picked up another item going south today but I still have plenty of room in both directions.

The TurboTransporter
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered shipping a large, heavy item like bumpers via the Greyhound. Greyhound goes everywhere and the rates are rather cheap when you compare them to other shippers.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the site quotes around an extra 350 to ship to the northeast, probably boston , ill check with uship.com & see whats up there...again i applaude your offer, shipping via greyhound priv party to priv party is prob no big deal, but do you think a vendor would get on board with that?
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
the site quotes around an extra 350 to ship to the northeast, probably boston , ill check with uship.com & see whats up there...again i applaude your offer, shipping via greyhound priv party to priv party is prob no big deal, but do you think a vendor would get on board with that?

Might be worth asking. If a vendor is looking at a sale of $XXX.xx and the sale of $XXX.xx is based on how the buyer wants the item shipped, Id let the vendor decide if they want the sale or not.

Packing an item to be shipped by TUV shipper will be packed the same way it would be even if it was shipped by WXY shipper.

I cant see why a vendor couldnt have a local delivery company deliver the item to the Greyhound Depot.

When faced with the opportunity to save a couple hundred dollars to ship something I would look at all possibilites to pad my pocketbook so I could spend a few more $$$ at that same vendor.

Let the vendor decide. Very Happy
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! I'll have to post next time I do that run, or just Portland / Seattle / Portland.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a very quick look at the Greyhound web site and learned a few things... It appears that Greyhound won't accept items for shipment with more than a $300 declared value or any single item over 100 lbs (with some exceptions).

In my opinion, these restrictions would rule out shipping Van Cafe's BIG bumpers via Greyhound BUT I'm sure there are many Vanagon related items that could be shipped economically using Greyhound.

I supposed someone less risk adverse than me could wrap and ship the front and rear bumpers separately to meet the weight requirements and under declare the actual value but not me! I've ridden the 'hound coast to coast and it ain't a pretty journey in a slightly damp, mystery stained and thinly padded seat. Perhaps it's more comfortable and spacious in the cargo hold but I doubt it.

When we changed buses in Chicago the weary bus driver was also the baggage handler. He stacked our luggage and the freight on the curb like it was trash. The only items that received any consideration were canvas bags labeled "US Mail" and he handed those to another Greyhound employee who took them inside the terminal.

Keep in mind that my C2C Greyhound experiance was in 1978! Times have changed and I'm sure Greyhound has too.

I also want to add that guys at the Van Cafe' have always provided me with excellent customer service in all respects. Expecting them to ship something as unique as their BIG bumpers using somewhat unconventional methods might be asking a bit too much. While I agree that $350 for shipping to NH is expensive, the ultimate goal of complete customer statifaction could be easily derailed if they applied a "hail mary" approach to shipping anything. I am certain that $350 gets your bumpers delivered to the east coast in the same condition that they were in when they left the Van Cafe's hands AND a speedy resolution if not.

Andrew
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Great idea! I'll have to post next time I do that run, or just Portland / Seattle / Portland.

Thanks Eric. The shipping requests are trickling in...

In case I wasn't clear, I'm willing to pick up and deliver most anything (nothing illegal, please) on the southbound leg. Someone handed me a starter core to return while I was at Daryl's the other day!

I hope to be near capacity with stuff from the Van Cafe for northbound leg but right now I'm only about 1/2 full if everyone who's responded is able to follow through.

Also, if you need something that the Van Cafe doesn't normally keep in stock, please call them as soon as possible so they will have time to order it for you.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Andrew
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one short week left to order your items from the Van Cafe and take advantage of the "special delivery" option. Please see the first post in this thread for the specifics.

There's been a change in my southbound route and I believe I will be heading down I-5 all the way through Oregon. This will save me about 6 hours of wheel time and allow me to stop and visit another Vanagon nut I've wanted to meet for quite some time.

Thanks again for all the positive response!

The TurboTransporter
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I’m back from my Van Café trip and what a trip it was. I met some amazing Vanagon people along my route.

My first stop was in Talent Oregon where I met a very enthusiastic and positively turbocharged Vanagon and all things mechanical wizard. I received a very warm welcome and a tour of his vehicle collection and workshop that I wished I’d recorded as it was so thoroughly detailed. Yes, Jesus drove a Vanagon, I saw it in Talent OR (and it’s For Sale, good soul required)

Next I delivered what was rumored to be the very last NEW Zetec engine sold by Bostig. The folks who purchased it are former A/C bus pilots and have recently purchased a very nice looking white full Westy. They have no immediate plans to convert their well running van but wanted to get one of the new Zetecs for the future while they’re still available. Super nice folks and she prefers the very same flavor malt beverage as me. I accepted the brew and guest room offer, slept like a rock and got back on the road by 7:30 AM

My next delivery was a freshly rebuilt Syncro transmission to a very tidy repair and restoration shop in the Bay area. The shop was busy as heck but the incredibly generous owner made time to give me a tour of his operation and a close look at a few of the rare vehicles he’s working on. I got a peek inside his personal project van’s TDI filled engine compartment, I got some great tips on soundproofing and I learned a few things about my own Transporter that only a guy who been at it as long as him would know. Double WOW!

I arrived at the Van Café around 4:30 Tuesday evening. I thought I’d just check in with them to let them know I’d made it and to have a look around the place. Chris spotted me before I could speak to anyone and we made a plan to load up the following morning. All my deliveries were organized in the showroom and ready to go, even the last minute items that were ordered that morning. Everything was expertly boxed, bubble wrapped and labeled complete with names, addresses and contact numbers. First Class Operation, Period.

After I left the Van Café that evening, I had to drive about 500 feet to luxuriously appointed Hitching Post Motel. I was in bed and asleep by 8PM.

The next morning I was up and out by 6AM. I drove around in the dark checking out the town before there was any traffic. I found my way to the beach, watched the sun rise and walked around the deserted waterfront for a while in the cold and salty air. At 8 I had a light breakfast in an otherwise empty café and chatted about the world with an efficient waiter named Reed who kept my coffee cup full.

Back at the Van Café, Chris and Peter helped me get all the loot outside on the side walk so I could evaluate my load and determine a logical, balanced and secure packing order. Once everything was outside and spread out for me to see, Peter had to go back to conducting the Van Café orchestra. Chris was able to continue to assist with the loading, between helping walk-in customers and the telephone. Every time I needed another item off the sidewalk, Chris was right there to hand it to me. I had almost forgotten about the speedometer I’d given to him to repair the night before but of course he had it fixed, boxed, labeled and ready to go. Damn these guys are good.

After getting everything loaded and the canopy secured, Peter offered to give me an inside look at the operation. Having spent a few years in retail myself, I was more than a little excited at the chance to peek behind the velvet curtains. To my surprise and delight, Peter took well over an hour out of his very busy day to give a personal tour, talk a little shop, a lot of Vanagon and a just a touch of personal philosophy, which we agreed upon.

I pulled out of Santa Cruz around 11AM on Wednesday. It was sunny and cool; just the right weather for my Transporter to show off a bit. The mighty 1.6 L turbo diesel kicked the crap out of Route 17 going up the hill towards San Jose. At one point I’m pretty sure the speedo hit 45 mph in 3rd gear, 7.2 psi of boost and an EGT of a mere 1150 degrees. I was really flying up that ant hill! I was going so smooth and so fast that other folks driving inferior vehicles were shamelessly drafting me, then sling-shooting around me without so much as a smile or a wave. Ungrateful sons-a-bees…

The weather was clear and dry all the way to Oregon. I stopped for the night at the Valley of the Rogue State Park Campground. I had planned to tent camp but the tent sites were closed for the season. I found an empty spot between the RV’s, rearranged a few boxes in the back of the truck to make room to lie down and settled into my sleeping bag around 8:30 PM.

I was up and out of there before first light. The thermometer in the cab said 31 degrees. Perfect sleeping weather but I had places to go and people to meet.

I made a minor detour off I-5 to Corvallis. I met up with a guy who I’d done some good business with in the past and who shared his wisdom when my diesel engine was suffering from low oil pressure. My intended brief stop went on for hours as we talked diesel, Vanagon, and much to my surprise, roughly the same old stomping grounds back east. You meet some the brightest people driving a Vanagon…

I got to Portland a bit early as the FIAT engine I was supposed to pick up that afternoon was still sitting in its vehicle and the owner was having trouble with the last bolt. Sound familiar, Tony? I offered to come by anyway and lend a hand but he had to get to work and even with my help, he still didn’t have the right tool to reach that one stinkin’ bolt.

I left Portland the next morning, a little later than I’d hoped. I’d spent my lonely hours on the road imagining the most efficient route to deliver my load and I needed all the daylight I could get.

Somewhere north of Olympia I saw the nose of another Transporter in my side mirror. It was gaining on me so quickly I had to check my speed to see if I was still moving. In a blinding flash of red and alloy, a Doka blew by me and almost out of sight. It then slowed enough for me catch up and when we were side by side the grinning occupants waved for a few seconds then disappear into the traffic ahead.

My first stop was in Kent where I delivered a set of Big Bumper and a few smaller items. The recipient was visiting his transmission rebuilder and I got to meet him as well. I’m a bit disappointed he didn’t have his Syncro running as I’ve seen enough of Ford pick ups for lifetime. The two of them were kind enough to let me watch them take apart the Syncro’s transmission; something I’d never attempted myself.

I hung around as long as I dared then took off around noon headed towards Duvall to deliver a Eurovan (spit!) refrigerator and busted transmission I’d picked up in California. After exchanging hellos, the recipient coyly asked me if I'd seen a Doka earlier in the day. I noticed that he had the same wild eyed grin as them other fellers as he tells me the Doka just left his place and he got to take it for a drive. I figured they must have a leaking tank of Nitrous in the back of that Doka…. Nope, no Nitrous, just a 300 HP Subie. No wonder they didn’t try to draft me. Sons-a-bees.

As usual when in Duvall, I could have stayed all day chewing the fat and looking at gears but I’ve got places to go and people to meet. Heading west towards Seattle, I made a quick stop in Bellevue to drop off a heavy box of brake parts in the Whole Foods parking lot. No Vanagon to check out there either. Lots to talk about anyway though…

It’s almost 3PM and I’ve got to get to Wallingford to pick up my sweetheart’s busted DVR then deliver another set of Big Bumpers to Ballard. The on ramp to 520 is crawling but the traffic on bridge is moving nicely. Same story on I-5. I got off at 45th, hit every red light possible, made a quick stop at the electronic repair shop and arrived at my next delivery about 4:00. No Vanagon in the driveway. WTF?

It was getting cold and dark when I called my last Seattle area delivery. We agreed to meet under the Alaska Way Viaduct at Royal Brougham. This will set me up perfectly to get to the ferry terminal and home to Bainbridge. I could clearly see familiar parking lights waiting under the viaduct as I turned onto Royal Brougham and made an illegal left turn into the ferry overflow waiting area. Finally a Vanagon to check out. But will I make the next boat to home??

It’s too cold to talk for long or look a Vanagons and my sweetheart’s waiting with dinner. I barely made the 5:30 boat to Bainbridge. Woo-hoo!

I made my last delivery to Poulsbo on Saturday afternoon. I got a grand tour of Westy restoration in progress and it will be a show winner, no doubt!

If I decide to do this again I think I’ll ask that we all meet in the same location like (Dick’s or Golden Gardens Park) on a Saturday afternoon with time to socialize and talk Vanagon. And you have to bring your dang Vanagon to get your stuff.

Thanks to everyone who was involved in this slightly crazy adventure and the wonderfully friendly, bright and enthusiastic Vanagon folks I met along the way. OK, specifically: Daryl, Scott, Ruth, Rick, Laura, Detlev, Justin, Lina, Dan, Gary, David, Brian, Christopher, Steve, Marsha, and especially Peter, Chris and whole Van Café crew.

Please pardon the grammar, tense and punctuation; I’m still buzzing from the road.

Humbly yours,
The TurboTransporter
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great trip Andrew - I envy you! =)

Checking in with Vanagon folks from here to there must have been a gas.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a solid drive-by from Tristar eric's doka. Cool
If you were leaving SC around 5am I would have drafted you for a few moments. Wink
Glad your expedition ended well.
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:
Please pardon the grammar, tense and punctuation; I’m still buzzing from the road.

Humbly yours,
The TurboTransporter

Don't be! That was masterfully written and a joy to read. Great story!
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
cats_r_cute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i want to do what u did! that sounds so fun. i miss the salty air of central-coast california in winter. i wanna go soon.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story! Thank you for replaying the adventure.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Trip and Great Story thanks for both. this truely adds to the greatness of this VW community.

I wonder if we should attempt to loosely organize a vanagon version of the "VW Thing Door across America Project"

but what vanagon part would be easily transportable, photgenic and not bulky or dirty, while remaining identifiable and synonymous of the Vanagon culture Question

We could pass/carry some totem from NY to Florida during the upcoming Spring 2010 Sunshine Skyway VW Treffen caravan, and have all the participants sign it.

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the positive replies.

The fellow with the FIAT engine is in Woodburn OR and he could still use a hand getting it to Renton WA. Please contact me if you can assist.

My average fuel mileage from the JX style 1.6L TD (with a 5 speed) was 24 mpg. My fuel economy was a bit lower than normal but I fought a very strong headwind all the way to Redding on the southbound leg, I went over a few mountain passes, twice!, my canopy adds considerable resistance and I had my Nokian C2’s on in anticipation of seeing some snow in the passes. (Good insurance as I saw no snow.)

Best mpg was 28, worst was 20 mpg. Average speed was 52 mph, highest speed achieved was 72 mph (drafting semis going downhill), total distance traveled was 2034 miles.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:
My fuel economy was a bit lower than normal

Must have been all the cookies you were hauling Wink

great post!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, now that you mention it, I never did see where they store the cookies at the Van Cafe. Hmmm. I saw the fancy alloy wheels, shiney big bumpers, rebuilt engines, miles of pipes and hoses, and lots and lots of "Bosch" boxes overflowing with VW parts but no Famous Amos cookies. Sons-a-bees were holding out on me. Very Happy

Yesterday I received a couple of nice photos from Ballard showing the new bumpers installed on a Syncro over the weekend. Good work! Now post 'em in this thread, please!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: