Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Movies with Ovals?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Does anyone know any movies with ovals in them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29125

and

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=Volkswagen&...Chassis=on

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eth727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen few movies with bugs and busses but I haven't seen any with ovals in particular.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A movie with a oval was from the mid 60's The Russians Are Coming, The Russians are coming.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my oval was used twice . once for a made for tv movie. called the perfect storm. they wanted a shot of the lead character passing an old beetle across the golden gate. it took all day to shoot and only payed $125 .but was fun. and once for another made for tv movie . can't remember the name? they wanted a bunch of old cars parked on the street for a scene.that was back when they shot movies here in san francisco. not much anymore.
MLockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

There's a shot of my Oval in my best friends movie Spring Forward with Ned Beatty and Liev Schreiber. The movie was filmed over the four seasons and the Fall features me chopping wood in my driveway right next to my 56 European sunroof Oval. So much fun...
Cman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Check out 'Back Street' from 1961. I spied several ovals in that movie.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Cman,

Hi - don't forget the 57 Oval featured in the movie Tin Men with Richard Dreyfuss and Danny DeVito. Go to the second link that David posted, and search for Tin Men. It should come up at the end of the list of pictures. I can tell you first hand it is a 57 and not a 56, and still rides like it was new.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

blue/grey oval beetle used by the detectives in 'topkapi', filmed in turkey, seen a reasonable length of time

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

2067Bug wrote:
Cman,

Hi - don't forget the 57 Oval featured in the movie Tin Men with Richard Dreyfuss and Danny DeVito. Go to the second link that David posted, and search for Tin Men. It should come up at the end of the list of pictures. I can tell you first hand it is a 57 and not a 56, and still rides like it was new.
The very same Beetle seen in Tin Men was on display at the June Bug VW meet near Reading, PA on June 6. I spoke with the current owner who had photos of the Beetle at the time it was in the movie. It's been restored very correctly and looks fabulous.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Belgian 1956 movie "The Three from the Filling Station" with some musical scenes, about 3 young men who run a small, run-down gas station. They clean it up, and at the end of the movie there's a rush to fill up. It looks like each of the ovals has a color-coordinated sunroof Cool . The gasoline brand "Berolin" is derived from the movie studio name Berolina.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2009:
GB2S wrote:
A movie with a oval was from the mid 60's The Russians Are Coming, The Russians are coming.
Here are two shots from my gallery showing the oval rear window. Soviet submarine Lieutenant Yuri Rozanov (Alan Arkin) steals a battered black '57 Beetle outside of the Massachusetts island village. Vacationer Walt Whittaker (Carl Reiner) shoots at Yuri with his shotgun as Yuri charges him. Yuri ducks the shotgun hits in the windshield and drives into a wooden fence. He's not injured. Rear shot of the '57 is from IMCDB for this movie.
von split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

There is a red oval rag top in "The Sterile Cuckoo" of 1969. It was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role (Liza Minnelli) and Best Music, Song (Fred Karlin and Dory Previn for "Come Saturday Morning").

Split Window Club, Germany

Member #297                                     

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

2067Bug wrote:
Cman,

Here's a screen shot from the end of the movie where you can clearly see the oval window and bullet front blinker.

The very same Beetle displayed at June Bug VW meet near Reading, Pennsylvania this past June; owner is from Virginia.

2067Bug- were you also at JuneBug?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

There was an oval in another Barry Levinson movie called Diner. Also set and filmed in Baltimore. The movie was set in the end of December 1959.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

"Do my fingers smell like fish?"

Great movie HOWL at the moon

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Yes and here’s a more recent example. It’s from the movie Suburbicon, the movie got low ratings but I liked it because it was really different and I like Juliette Moore.😀

There are other examples in this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29125&start=1900

Spoiler alert the bad guy wrecks the nice oval.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Walt Disney movie "That Darn Cat" (1965) linking up a VW Beetle with actor Dean Jones who will make history a few years later in "The Love Bug". In the movie's drive-in scene, Patti (Hayley Mills) lets Dan's Siamese cat out of his Woody wagon and it scurries off. A drive-in attendant tries to catch the cat, which is running away on cars' roofs. The attendant also runs over the roofs, inadvertently breaking his stride by jumping into the open sunroof of an oval-window Beetle.

The car bounces up with its 2 occupants, showing the bullet front blinkers and the larger, old-style Wolfsburg hood crest.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

This screen shot from the "Goldfinger" James Bond 1964 movie was first posted by finster in 3/2020 in the big "VWs in Films..." thread, though I enhanced it a bit in Photoshop. Bond drives past this oval Beetle while in the Aston Martin DB5, trying to escape Goldfinger's team in the Auric Enterprises plant in Switzerland.

The oval appears to be L331 Horizon Blue, which is a '56 and '57 color. Lack of image sharpness makes it difficult to gauge the height of the taillamps, which seem low like eggs/hearts instead of the snowflake usual height.
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Not a movie, but the new (and now cancelled) Netflix series Bebop Cowboy has an oval in episode 1. I didn't watch past the first episode so I don't know if it appeared in others.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: