Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Movies with Ovals?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

There are several Oval window Beetles in the three German TV movie miniseries "Ku'damm 56- 59- 63". They are dramas about the Galant family's dance studio along the main Kurfuerstendamm avenue in West Berlin, Germany.
1. Black oval next to a maroon Porsche 356, Ku'damm 63 (2021).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. Beige oval in background of main character's Porsche Speedster in Ku'damm 56 (2016). Speedster is a replica, seen by the 8 brake vent holes in the wheels which are indicative of 4-bolt wheels.

3. Sunroof oval parked in Berlin residential street; Ku'damm 59 (2018).

4. Black oval on right, parked in median between the two avenue directions. Ku'damm 63 (2021). The arrow points to a Ghia Coupe. Small red car in left foreground is a BMW Isetta 600 (four-seater); the small green truck in the center is a Goggomobil Transporter TL.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

ku'dos to them for portraying a busy berlin street view although I suspect there's a fair amount of cgi involved and it's a shame that all the cars are clean and shiny. looks like a good show for car spotting - a split window beetle and barndoor, even a borgward hansa 2400!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Not really a movie but on the History Channel "the cars that built the world" focused on Ferdinand Porsche and his son. The scene that I would have liked to see is the son converting his oval to a pre 356. Ovals are in Episode 4.

https://www.history.com/shows/the-cars-that-built-the-world/season-1
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

From the really lousy German movie "The return of Superbug" (1979). It's actually a stand-in for a '68 big-bumper Beetle Embarassed at the end of a demolition derby scene. German title is "Zwei tolle Kaefer raeumen auf". The body comes off as the Beetle is tumbling down a hill,

and then the bare body slides on its roof.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

1956 German movie "Die Halbstarken" (translates loosely to the hooligans; American title "Teenage Wolfpack") starring a 23-year old Horst Buchholz. Filmed in West Berlin.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

In background near beginning of "Ford vs Ferrari" (2019) with main character Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) speaking with his fabricator Phil Remington (Ray McKinnon) at the Willow Springs, California desert race track paddock.

Sneaking into an open curbside parking space, German movie "Der falsche Adam" (1955).
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Last summer I shot scenes with my Oval with Time Warner Studios HBO Max production "Julia" (on the life of Julia Child) in areas all around Boston. I did maybe 8-10 shoots with them, some in my car driving, some they just had me park my oval, a few times they had me in period (1963) costume walking in the distant background... and sometimes I spent the whole day on set and they used neither me nor my VW (but I ate a lot of food!). But I still got paid for those days and it was loads of fun. In between shoots I could just walk around and watch the setting up scenes, lighting, etc.

Later in the summer I did a couple shots with an upcoming production of Steven King's "Salem's Lot". I think it is supposed to be in theaters now.

Here's a couple screen grabs from Julia. In the front yard scene, that is David Hyde Pierce polishing the red Volvo. My Oval across the street. In the other scene I am parked a block away on a corner. Surprised that I could evev see the car.

The one scene that I got to drive in (well 2 really, same set), then never used in the 8 episodes of Season 1. My hunch is that it was for Season 2 which later got approved. It was a very complicated scene involving many cars moving and lots of moving/timing.

I got invited to shoot with Season 2 Julia, but I have since moved and hour north, and the production office are south of Boston. Would be a 2 hour drive each way. I passed.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Hi, John. That's so exciting that you and your oval can be seen in a current TV/movie! After your thorough restoration of it, have you been driving it frequently in the last few years?
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hi, John. That's so exciting that you and your oval can be seen in a current TV/movie! After your thorough restoration of it, have you been driving it frequently in the last few years?

For sure. I have put about 1000mi/year on it since 2000.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Bonus with two in the street. German movie "Gruss und Kuss vom Tegernsee" (1957)- "Regards and kiss from Tegern Lake" which is a small lake in southern Bavaria.

"Do not send your wife to Italy" (1960). The small car in left background is a BMW 700 Coupe, with a 2-cyl. horizontally-opposed aircooled engine and semi-trailing arm rear suspension. It had a lower roofline than the 700 Sedan.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Stopping at left side curb, "Victim" (1961) filmed in London.

"Man on a string" (1960), filmed in Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate seen in distance.

From the same movie:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Composite of 3 different Beetles (note difference in taillamp height) within 5 seconds, German movie "Liebe kann wie Gift sein" (1958) translated "love can be like poison".

Parked behind a Porsche 356 Cabriolet, German movie "Zweimal Adam, einmal Eva" (1959) translated "twice Adam, once Eve".

White oval Beetle parked in background of traffic light, German movie "Charleys Tante" (1963; translated Charley's aunt). Red sedan on left is a Peugeot 403; the convertible version was what Detective Columbo drove in those TV mystery movies.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

isola bella made in 61 - black oval 'police' car

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

^ By coincidence I watched the same movie and downloaded a very similar screen shot to my gallery this morning. My shot was a few seconds later than yours, as the "Policeman" on the left started to remove/peel off the white letters in the word Polizia above the windshield- they and the Beetle were "dressed up" as police to take away the woman about to get out of the back seat.

Here are 2 more movies with ovals which I uploaded today:
Early oval with heart taillamps, German movie "Alle Suenden dieser Erde" (1958, translated all the sins of this earth). Right semaphore is actuated.

Beetle swerves, then seconds later breaks through the road fence and down a ditch.

Silver-blue Oval Beetle with split window Beetle ahead of it, German movie "Liebe, Sommer und Musik" (1956, translated Love, summer and music).
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

German movie "Wie schoen dass es dich gibt" (1957) translated How nice that you exist.

German movie "Bekenntnisse eines moeblierten Herrens" (1963). Translated Confessions of a furnished gentleman. Main character is driving a Citroen 2CV with its rolled-back roof.

German movie "Der schweigende Engel" (1954).
difrangia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

I can't seem to find an image to post, but we just finished the Paramount+ ten-episode docu-series 'The Offer' covering the making of the original epic movie 'The Godfather' released in 1972. In the intro that plays at the beginning of each episode there is a scene in the movie lot and a black oval window is in the lower left corner viewed from the front and above. If you liked the original movie, you'd probably enjoy the series very much.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

^ Here you go, difrangia.
difrangia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
^ Here you go, difrangia.

Thank you very much, Rome. I made sure to be in the room for that scene on every episode of 'The Offer'.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

Netflix
The spy

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Movies with Ovals? Reply with quote

German movie "Kalter Himmel" (cold sky), 2011-

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: