Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of replacing the weber
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Thinking of replacing the weber Reply with quote

I have a 1941 with a weber progressive carb, 009 dist with new points and condenser new cap rotor wires and plugs some kind of Brazilian fuel pump which is new also and header glass pack combo on it. The motor has low mileage but sat for twenty years. When I got it it was racing and blowing black smoke. The PO disconnected the choke because the wire fried ( it touched the fan shroud) I got it working after few days and replaced the wire. It ran fairly well for about 400 miles and got bad gas mileage (15 miles to the gallon) but died suddenly on me. I went to take off and it lacked power then started to backfire. I started to tinker with it but just couldn't get it to stay running now it almost starts. I'm pretty sure its the carb, its flooding and I could almost get it to start when flooring the peddle.

Anyway I was thinking of getting rid of that carb anyhow but am not sure what else needed to be replaced if I decided to go with the 34 PIC 3. I know the intake has to go unless there is some kind of an adapter out there.

Any ideas?

tks, Brent <'0000={

Last edited by EA812 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Webber.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a Weber.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
This is a Webber.

This is a Weber.

cool Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Weber Progressive was designed for the Pinto. Whoever came up with the idea of using it on a VW should be shot, then stabbed and then hung.

Besides the choke jammed into the fan shroud, the linkage never really opens all the way and you never get into the second progressive barrel.

Personalty you should go with duals which solve a lot of problems.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it was for! I'm sure that turned out well. I knew it wasn't made for the VW exclusively and my brother claims he had one on his Fiat X19. He was the first to tell me it sucked. I just thought he didn't remember correctly.
It came with the car so I thought I would give it a go but not invest any $$ into it. It had to work right from the get go or it was out.
Insaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Webber is running on some sweet whitewalls.
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for shits and giggles, I tried a 2bbl Weber on my Thing. Glenn is right on the money about the choke shorting into the fan shroud. The angle of the throttle cable was quite severe, too; which led to a lot of wear on the cable, as well as the carb linkage - which isn't the greatest to begin with.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Glenn"]This is a Webber.

That is just a single barrell Webber!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man My Webber isn't even that cool, it doesn't even have wheels and runs a little hot.

As for the Weber though, I'm not particularly attached to any of the mods the PO put on with it but I didn't have a problem with the 009, no flat spots or acceleration problems and the exhaust is old anyway. This isn't something that has to be done right away. I was planning on putting the car up for winter soon anyway and finish some of the work I started but was kind of looking to get a few more days out of it.
goswald79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you rebuilt the Weber or are you just running after sitting for 20 years? It may not be the best carb, but it would have never sold if it didn't work to some degree. A rebuild kit is $25 and you can do ti yourself if you have any mechanical skills. Try that, then at least your car runs until you decide what your gonna do.

My $.02: I have dual Solex/Kadrons on my 1600 DP and love it. I also have a Weber with a Scat manifold I bought and never installed...

Give me Liberty, or give me Death!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goswald79 wrote:
Have you rebuilt the Weber or are you just running after sitting for 20 years? It may not be the best carb, but it would have never sold if it didn't work to some degree. A rebuild kit is $25 and you can do ti yourself if you have any mechanical skills. Try that, then at least your car runs until you decide what your gonna do.

My $.02: I have dual Solex/Kadrons on my 1600 DP and love it. I also have a Weber with a Scat manifold I bought and never installed...

Don't waste your time.

A good friend owns a shop and last week a customer brought in a Bay with a Weber Progressive that he just bought. It ran like crap and the guy has receipts from the previous owner that the carb was worked on a few times. He attempted to fix it which he rebuilt it and it ran no better. He tweaked and play it it on and off for a few days spending many hours and it never ran right. Finally I told the owner to get a set of dual carbs. He purchased a set of IDFs and the Bus runs great.

The moral is: Don't waste your time trying to polish a turd... the Weber Progressive will always be a turd.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goswald79 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

By your logic, all of the piece-of-shit Chinese 009 distributors are okay . . . . because "they sell" and "work to some degree".
goswald79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rowroy, by my logic the weber carb works for some people. Is it a POS? No, it works great in other cars. Does it work in aircooled VW's? Depends on who you ask. My only experience in a VW is buying one and leaving it on a shelf. Now I have also had others cars with Weber progressives that ran GREAT. You can also find VW guys who will tell you that they run a Weber progressive and are happy with it. My only point was if you expect a carb that has been sitting for 20 years to run good without a rebuild, then your dreaming. for 25 bucks it may run to his satisfaction.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goswald79 wrote:
You can also find VW guys who will tell you that they run a Weber progressive and are happy with it.

Same can be said for someone who has a knockoff OO9.

If you don't know what a correctly tuned VW engine feels like, then you have nothing to compare it to.

I have never seen a Weber progressive run correctly.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
This is a Webber.

Not according to these guys.

Wink
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picky picky Wink

OK... Mark Webber.

Chris Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Sofia Webber

Diane Webber

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
goswald79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Webber is a woman???

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goswald79 wrote:

Your right, I'm being kind of hard on it expecting it to work after sitting for 20 years but that's due to the bad reputation. If this car were a daily driver I would probably just rebuild it. I get what your saying since I was thinking of going back to the stock carb just rebuild it for less money than the whole swap. I may still rebuild it. It would be the cheapest thing to do and if it turns out to be a total basket case it isn't a big loss. Plus I get a little bit of experience in the process. I'm in the process of rebuilding my first carb now with the snow blower. Another pro to the rebuild idea is it is relatively new it just sat for twenty years.

Some of my reasons for getting rid of it are:

1. the fuel mix screw is on the back side near the fan. A problem I solved with a super short screw driver but I didn't have it on me when it gave me trouble so my thumb is still healing from that. Also I didn't like the coil zapping me the whole time.

2. The idle adjustment screw is the same way. I guess this wouldn't be bad if you don't need to adjust them often.

3. The throttle linkage does put the throttle cable at an extreme angle and the tube going through the fan is already worn due to that.

4. That lovely coil wire up against the fan shroud. I put a plastic spade cover on it and put shrink tubing over that plus a piece of rubber between it and the fan shroud.

Glenn is right you never get into the second progressive barrel also.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After taking it apart I didn't come across a smoking gun to explain just what went wrong but........ the float was twisted and not at the right height, there was what looked like rust in the float bowl, I found stuff that looked like sand all through the carb and the secondary throttle plate never would close past half way ( maybie that's why it only got 15MPG). There was also some kind of a home made gasket between the carb and intake made out of rubber that swelled up and I think was blocking some of the passages. I cant believe the thing ever worked at all. I soaked the carburetor body in carb cleaner for two days and worked on the secondary shaft and throttle plate so it would move freely again.

I figured for the price I would try rebuilding for now and look into replacing it later on down the road. Here are some before and after shots of the carb. Check out the choke coil mod.

sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that a PICT 34 and an 009 do not mix!
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: