Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfusn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

I'm getting into a frontend rebuild and as it happens, I also lucked out on a pair of 86+ spindles on CL for $200 so I'm planning on doing a big brake upgrade at this time.

I used such posts as this and this to determine that I acquired 86+ flatter, near/far tie rod end hole versions. Looks like I've got the PS (near) style.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lo and behold, the next time I really take a look under my van, it looks like my spindles are of the same flat oval shape on the end, at least from the bottom. I also have PS.

I called GW (unsure as to whether I'm going with them, Burley, or SC, but...) to inquire as to another way to check—it seems VERY unlikely (given knowledge of PO's as well as state of bushings/ball joints) that my 85 would have had these swapped, but I wanted to be sure. The tech mentioned to check the brake pads and compare to pictures of either the -85 or 86+ versions. Without pulling things apart too much (this is my DD and I'm not inclined to touch the brakes just yet), I can definitively see two right angles on a pad, which matches the -85 version.

My question then is: how can you truly ID spindles alone, then? How can I be sure the spare ones I've got are 86+ before I pull everything apart and start putting everything together and find out the hard way? The seller "had them as spares" for a Carat so I don't know as if they've definitively been put on an 86+.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

The difference is where the caliper mounts.
The mounting holes if I recall correctly are machined flat on both sides of the bolt holes for 86+, I think what you pictured is pre 86.
mrfusn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

Ok, so looking at my supposed-86+ spares, they have inside (looks machined):

And then on the outside (is not machined):

As best I can see on my van, it looks the same, since the caliper is attached on the inside, and the outside of the bolt holes (no sign of bolt end) is about 1/4" away from the inside of the rotor.

So, I got scammed on the spares, it sounds like? Also, no big brakes for me! Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrfusn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

Contrast with Burley's pic of late-model spindles... does seem that the caliper bolt holes are machined on the outside.

mrfusn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

Here is another good post that mentions the bolt holes and the flat on both sides.

I think I may have misread the posts referenced above that referred to early/late to be before and after the 85/86 transition. What I think they actually refer to is early / manual and later dual manual/power steering cast parts, all 85 and earlier. Sad

So... anyone need some pre-86 spindles? Embarassed

At least I caught it before I ordered the brake upgrade. What a bummer though.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

Bolt holes threaded = pre 86

At least that's what I remember from when I swapped my 85 to 86+
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

There was some one on here or FB who has successfully machined early spindles to late spindle specs in order to install a brake upgrade. There was also someone here or there working on a brake upgrade specifically for early vans. But yes the threads inside the caliper mounting holes and the machining on one side is the way to determine early and late spindles.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: big brake upgrade: ID'ing 85 spindles that look like 86+ Reply with quote

I'm looking for a set myself. I know the thread mentioned above. It might have been on Facebook! I have the info somewhere but I'm not ready to upgrade.

I started using OneNote to keep track of projects on the van. For example I have aux battery page, roof rack page, suspension page. I need to make a brake page. On a page you can slap photos on there and text blocks.

Anyway, when you see some valuable photos, save them to the respectful page. Maybe it's not something you're ready to do right now but it's also a reminder of cool upgrades.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: