Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upholstery nightmare- **Updated with good news **
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Upholstery nightmare- **Updated with good news ** Reply with quote

I know this is a little long but hopefully all this typing will help me calm down. I wanted to recover the bench seat and the cushion in the back so my GF and I checked the fabric stores in town weekly for a month until we found something we liked. Who am I kidding? I really didn't have any say so in the matter. Smile We finally get the fabric and I dropped it and the cushions off at a shop that was recommended by a lifelong friend who used to do marine canvas and upholstery. My friend tells me that this lady has been in business 20 years and she's good at what she does. I get the call today that they're all ready to go and I get excited as I can't wait to see the finished product. I walked into the shop and my jaw immediately dropped. She had flipped the fabric and used the underside not the top. She asked what was wrong and I immediately told her that the fabric was inside out. She says no, no, no this is the way it should be. To me it was obvious what side should be the upside but even if it wasn't there is writing along the edge denoting "right side" as I believe is the term. She said that fabric always comes with the good side in so as not to get the good side dirty and showed me a few pieces she had folded up that way. Mine wasn't on a roll, I'd just folded it up. Each piece she showed me had the writing along the edge of the "up" side. She agrees to fix it but wanted me to pay her for the time it took to reverse it since she's in the right and I'm wrong. I tell her I need to check with the GF and that I'll be back. I immediately go to three fabric stores including the place that she buys her material just to make sure I'm not wrong for assuming which side is the "up" side. All three agree with me not only because it seemed obvious to them but also because the industry norm is to have the writing along the edge which even says "up" on it on the correct side. I went back to her shop and explained what I had been told but she refuses to budge. I asked her to take a piece of the material to at least 3-4 fabric stores just to see what the consensus is. She agreed and will call me on monday. Thanks for letting me vent.

82 Diesel Westy

Last edited by Home Team Van on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
aquaboxa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't want to get stuck with her refusing to correct the situation but a few threats of going to the BBB and blasting her business on local Craigslist etc. might have an impact. She clearly made a mistake and any business owner worth their salt shouldn't hesitate to remedy the situation. How much are we talking about here to reverse the fabric?
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That sucks. I feel for you. I hate being in those situations when you know you are right, they know (but don't admit) you are right, but they have control of the situation. What WOULD it cost you if things went her way. What would the labor charge be? If it is a small mount, and I'm guessing it isn't, it might be worth paying just to get the darn thing over with. BUT, if you are like me, and can't stand people taking advantage of you, you could threaten to park your van in front of her upolstery shop with a sign on it that warns her potential customers. That might be fun Smile

In any case, good luck. Hopefully she will come to her senses and fix HER mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we never even got to the subject of what she was going to charge me to redo the cushions. After the way she reacted to me by saying that I was completely wrong, one penny was too much to pay to have it corrected. She charges $40 hr and I'm sure it would take a several hours to redo the cushions. The bench seat cushions probably wouldn't take too long but the rear cushion would probably take a while especially because she'd have to unstitch it and then redo it. The fabric is now discontinued so what I have needs to be reused along with the extra that I bought for "just in case." I'm just hoping she comes to her senses over the weekend and decides to take care of the problem. I'll post an update once I hear something.

82 Diesel Westy
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recovered all the cushions in my van last Winter. My wife insisted that we get new foam and recover even though it was in good shape must be like sleeping in someones else sheets. I did the rear bench seat as well as the cushion over the engine and both pieces on the upper bunk and even the little elbow pad on the right rear bench. I have enough left over to recover the two front seats. It was not cheap. I think the material, new foam and labor ran me $700, I have to check my records. I try no to keep too detailed records for fear my wife finds it and really sees what this van is costing us.

Can't understand the idea that the good side should be down to protect it. Sounds like she realized she goofed and made something up. That would be the same as saying you wear a nice suit inside out so to protect the fabric. If she continues this argument, ask she to get a cushion off of her couch and open up the zipper to see how the manufacture builds a couch. Hopefully she did not recover her own couch.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my seats recovered there was a minor imperfection that I pointed out and the guy insisted that his guys fix it. The next day it was done and I got a apology not a bill. Good luck
WhiteH2O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best luck to get everything done right, and without having to pay more than you originally thought.

I just completed reupholstering mine by myself, bench seat, jumpseat, engine cover, and curtains. The result isn't as nice as having someone else do it, but it still looks good, and my only cost was the fabric and thread (well, and a new zipper, hooks for the curtains, staples, not having my van for a week, and such).
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a mess.......I opted to have my original seats re-done using the original upholstery but having it dry cleaned.
I had new innards installed on the seats but kept the original fabric.

If you paid by credit card you might be able to file a protest against the installer and get the credit card company involved into who's right and who's left. (left ='s wrong).
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately for me, I haven't paid her yet but she still has the cushions. That is definitely working in my favor at this point and is probably the only reason my head hasn't exploded yet. #Bad Talk

82 Diesel Westy
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez man, good luck
http://www.sewfineproducts.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
jeez man, good luck
http://www.sewfineproducts.com/

X2

start browsing craigs for seats.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point over the weekend, this lady came to her senses and fixed the problem with the cushions. She redid them at no charge to me. I'm not sure what changed her mind but at this point I'm happy to be done with her. FWIW I really like the way they look now and I'm excited to get them put back in.

82 Diesel Westy
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this never happened w/o pics Laughing
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
this never happened w/o pics Laughing

...of the upholstery, not the lady (I'm assuming)!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Team Van wrote:
At some point over the weekend, this lady came to her senses and fixed the problem with the cushions. She redid them at no charge to me. I'm not sure what changed her mind but at this point I'm happy to be done with her. FWIW I really like the way they look now and I'm excited to get them put back in.

Give her a break..

You caught her on a Friday.. she was probably beat from a long week. Not thinking clearly and maybe not completely ready to see the mistake she, or her shop, made.

Perhaps she realized the error (like a sledghammer) after a night's sleep.. and it appears she ultimately did the right thing.

I've been on the periphery of custom canvas shops and sailmaking in the sailing biz.. EVERY project is a one-off custom job.. There are more opportunites to make mistakes than not.

Sounds like she did right by you. And she probably ate her profit margin and then some to make it right.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

82 Diesel Westy
purplegodzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. You have a picture of some left over fabric. Just wonder what the other side looks like? Surprised
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/P1020720.jpg
1985 Westfalia
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplegodzilla wrote:
Looks good. You have a picture of some left over fabric. Just wonder what the other side looks like? Surprised

there's a small strip of it on the cushion in the above pic but here's a close up too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

82 Diesel Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: