Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
So what is your experience with Semi Hemi?

I'd remove the secondary emulsion tube and jets, and make sure they are clear.
John I am only riding on Berg`s shirt tails with his experience. I do believe he has tried many things on bugs over the years. In over 40 years I have done lots to VWs too , I am still learning. I had a 1641 with stock heads and it did not take much to make it ping. Hemi 041s were on my 2 liter , up graded to hemi 044s . Put the 041s on the 1835. It pulled the head studs (Over heated I guess) so I rebuilt it to 1776 and put the progressive on. Jets are all clean. The secondary air horn was in backwards. Just got back from a test run. Now it goes WAAAAA! You can really feel it kick in now. thanks Jim
Now I have a new problem with hot starter soak. Starter dies when hot. geez

Last edited by snowbug on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

Now you have to go back and re-visit your jetting. Now that you found the problem, understand the 80 secondary idle is ridiculous.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so to resume it, tell me if i understood wrong
Low 14 at idle
Around 16 in the first barrel with fuel pump and second barrel disconnected
Around 13 when second barrel opens during acceleration

So my questions
With fuel pump connect what should i want to reach
When i travel for some time fully open what value should i want? On highways or mountain i travel long time wide open, i have to stay at 13 or 16?

John
I don t like the stock air filter that come with progressive kit, using your adaptor for stock filter would be restrictive for a 90.5x76 engine with stock cam? It s a baywindow
Ciao
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case gearing influences jetting i have to say that i installed a dk gearbox from t3 eith diy cableshift, do i run 60 miles/h at 3000rpm which is my most common cruising speed
Now i m running the suggested jetting on first page but plugs look rich so i have to improve...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys with busses, things, and ghias use

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Progressive-Air-Cleaner-Adapter-2-5-8-66mm-Top-p/1529.htm

which as to be modified to work. They shorten the round top, and sleeve it down (requires aluminum welding), so the stock air filter hose slips onto it.

By doing this they can retain the stock oil bath filter.

Note that some other guys have had great success by gutting the filter housing, and putting an element inside it. There are samba threads on how guys have done this. It looks stock on the outside, but flows a LOT more air (no restriction), so power goes way up.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i have one of those 1600 cc late bus, 1978, quite common in europe for cheaper tax purpouse so i do have the late paper filter not oil bath.
Your adaptor will still need modification? Is it working as restrictor for 1955cc engine or is it still flowing enough?

As spark plug are quite black do you suggest smaller secondary main or bigger air correction?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be restricting anything.

What does the wideband say? Where are you rich? You should be 16:1ish at throttle positions under 1/4 throttle, 13:1 after that.

ozzo wrote:
Actually i have one of those 1600 cc late bus, 1978, quite common in europe for cheaper tax purpouse so i do have the late paper filter not oil bath.
Your adaptor will still need modification? Is it working as restrictor for 1955cc engine or is it still flowing enough?

As spark plug are quite black do you suggest smaller secondary main or bigger air correction?

ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i m going to by a o2 gauge to proper jettinh. I just want to understand once installed what numbers i have to look for.
I understood that 13.1 was under acceleration and that on steady gas even at speed it has to go to 16.1.... and also that at 16 it would have run cooler
Now i see i probably understood wrong

If you can confirm your air filter adaptor match my stock air filter i ll buy one
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated, the air filter adapter must be modified to fit the stock air filter boot. It has to be sleeved down in size. The jetting information is posted earlier in this thread.

ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Probably i just overlapped information mixing what i read here and what is written on the other post of wideband results... now it is more clear that with progressive i have to look for slightly rich 13:1 also on highway steady drive once i have more than 1/4 gas. Thanks
frydaddy96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the how-to advice. Here is what I found when opening my 32/36 DFAV w/elec choke. 60/50 Idle, 132/137 Main, 170/180 Air. It would start and Idle Ok But that was about it until she was at speed on the highway. No accel and wanting to die when off the gas to shift. I did the idle mixture and speed adjustments, no joy. When I took off the cover assembly, the gasket at the aft end of the secondary bore had been sucked in at some point which is probably why both the Pri. and Sec. bores and throttle plates were black. Inside the bowl was clean just a bit of stain in the bottom, same with the accelerator pump internals. Diaphragms looked in good shape too. The float was at 40mm so I reset it to 38.5 and have ordered a 45&55 idle, 125&170 main, and a 160 air. So we'll see how these work next week. I'm going to set it 45/60 Idle, 125/170 Main, and 160/180 Air.
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna port a weber progressive I have in the garage to use on an engine I'm building for my 64 bus until I have the $$ to go dual weber 40's. Going to use the guidelines listed by AirCooled.net for sea level, with some consideration for that fact that I like to go to the mountains (camping in Lake Tahoe). My engine build:

90.5mm Pistons
78.8 Crank
110 Cam
heater boxes w/ 1 1/2"

AirCooled.net recommends:
Sea Level:
45 Primary and 55 Secondary Idle Jet
125 Primary and 175 Secondary Main Jet
160 Primary and 180 Secondary Air Jet

Any tips? I'd prefer MPG over raw power.

Thanks

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vannin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran webers on no vw engines and I have leftover a rebuilt 38/38, is it possible to get it to run on a 1600dp that's been built too 1700? I'm very new to aircooled but I had this carb running on a 1300 samurai and it was a huge improvement.
Nik
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already posted this is my build thread but seeing this post again reminded me how much help this thread was to me over the last six months so I felt I should post my hot air intakes here since this is where I got the idea and it has helped me and my progressive a lot:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've noticed a great improvement in responsiveness since I completed this mod. Idle is smoother too but most importantly there is no hesitation on acceleration, even with an 009 it picks up cleanly and smoothly now where in the past acceleration was always preceded by a half second lug.

For the record, jets are as follows, which seems to work well but I am open to suggestion. These are the old (before hot intake) jets. I was able to retune to the carb 1/2 turn less than what it was but I haven't messed with jets. I may be able to go smaller now if I understand correctly.

Idle 50
Secondary 60

Main jet 120
Secondary jet 180

Primary Air 160
Secondary Air 190

Altitude 3500ft

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046

Last edited by Aerindel on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going down "2" on the idle jets, to 48/58, and reset LBI.

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Header Wrap Reply with quote

I wrapped my intake with header wrap to keep heat in. It does run better. I know a heat riser tube in the header would be better . I only drive this car in the summer. Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turntwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Weber Carb/CB Fuel Pump question Reply with quote

John,
I need some Weber carb/ fuel pump advise:

We installed a newer 1776 cc in my double cab that came with a 32/26 Weber progressive jetted for a Texas climate (i am in NJ). from Bug Stop.
We then installed a CB performance rotary fuel pump with filter attached and another VW plastic filter at the carb.

When we first cold started it it revved so damn high up i thought it was going to blow. so i turned the fast idle screw out to lower idle. this worked but now it barely idles and stalls out.

Could the rotary pump be too much pressure or are there too many filters in line? should i go back to mechanical pump?
it has heat risers so i think its getting the right amount of hot air.

Also it has heater boxes but they are wide open since there is no heat pipe to the cab. should these be closed off to hold more hot air in?

finally it has open valve cover tubes which i closed off since oil was misting out onto the underbody of the truck. It just seemed wrong.

thanks for listening. we hope to learn from you wisdom and experience.

attached is a photo.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to go back and lean the choke out a bit and also maybe adjust the unloader so the choke opens more right at startup. On many carbs I have ground a bit off the top step of the fast idle cam to lower the maximum cold idle speed while still keeping the "luke" warm idle speed up a bit, this isn't all that easy to do on a progressive though.

The collective wisdom is to keep air flowing through the heater boxes even if you don't want heat. This is how VW designed them to operate. With your funky shroud this may not apply all that well though.

You do not want the rocker boxes vented unless you run the vents into a catch can so the oil can be trapped and drained back into the engine.

Read Aeromech's critique on the style of breather you have. He doesn't think they can do the job of properly venting even a stock engine.
GBHgpJON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this question a week ago, as a seperate title with no luck, so thought I'd try it on this topic.
I'm getting a rise in the revs when spraying carb cleaner around where the preheat pipes enter the manifold while searching for an airleak. Admittedly they aren't the best fit, but I didn't think these passageways are connected directly to the intake? Anyone care to enlighten me......weber progressive aircooled.net manifold. Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: