Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you build race engines then how do you scavenge the case? One way or another crankcase pressure needs to be eliminated. Some like breather boxes, I find them worthless, some do a blow through concept which is very efficient and is an idea I have played with. Now matter how tight an engine is, even with zero leak down an engine will generate internal pressure, why fight it, best to eliminate it, and sucking (or blowing) it out is, in my opinion the best way.

Easy, just pull a vacumn withoput letting additional air into the crankcase.

Why introduce any air into the crankcase that does not need to be there. Depending on the engine design, V8, L6, L4 or flat 4, pull all evacuation points to either a vacumn pump or into the header collector.

My current VW drag engine has a oil line run from the bottom of the left rear head into the front left corner of the deep sump. A evacuation line from the top front right valve cover, generator stand area and a point in the top part of the forward case (tapped when building the engine) and the three points run into a quart oil/air separator. Two lines come from the oil/air separator run back into the collector attaching into a reid valve at a angle where the exiting fumes form a vacumn and pull the vapors from the oil/air separator can. Thanks to Muffler Mike for discovering and sharing this system with us.

One thing to consider is that air with a oil vapor introduced into the intake system will lower the octane of the fuel mixture.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay- now this thread is about how to jet positive crankcase ventilation-wierd
My breather has all this booger looking stuff in it. I bet if I had some VENTILATION through the crankcase, it would go away.
Thats what pcv is-anti booger. Keeps water vapor and such from building up in there. Also keeps the oil inside, nice for toyotas and modern cars.
It is not useful for the Canadian trying to get his progressive fed car out of his driveway on a cold morning.
Did I help clear all this up?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay- now this thread is about how to jet positive crankcase ventilation-wierd

It has to be taken into consideration when filtered, flow through air is introduced into the intake, after the carb. Unmetered air entering after the carb will have an affect on the jetting/tuning of the carb.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwguy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weater Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
1. Will a properly setup intake manifold work down to 10 degree F?

Yes. But you have to have a good intake AND EXHAUST. A good intake with a bad exhaust will also not work right. You HAVE to have both.

2. Does it make sense to route air from the heat exchanger to the carb instead of the passenger compartment? (I'd rather be cold than fight going up hills from a stop with idiot drivers behind me)

Just use the elbow to draw heated air off the 1/2 head, and route that to the filter. That's what the factory did.

3. the driver's side of the intake manifold says SCAT. Is that "a good intake"?

I have not seen their intake in >5 years. You need one that routes exhaust to the carb base, NOT just along the bottom tube. When I found the one that was designed the best, that's the one I recommend.

John,

Are you selling the Redline manifolds?

I'd like to find more info on this setup and I'm having problems finding info on the web.

I'm trying to figure out what the next big move is going to be -
    Weird routing of heated air
    Your manifold kit
    going with your Solex duals
    going with Weber IDF duals
    going Mega Squirt
    going CB CFI
    growing up and getting a more pedestrian vehicle

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yours

Redline Kit# K1410

Redline DELUXE PROGRESSIVE W/ Full Manifold Heating #99004.410B
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this going to be in the tech articles on your site John, seems to be about to disappear on here.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that Krusher. I'm going to put it there soon, thanks. DOH!

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy john. Thanks so much for the write up on how to properly tune these things, lol. But i do have a question for ya.

i have a drawthru turbo set-up on my stock 1600dp motor (8lbs of boost, from a T03). No idea what kind of jets are in there now (prolly whatever it came from the factory), but i do notice that if you floor it, it boggs, and sputters, and kicks, then will cut out. if i want to floor it i have to push the pedal slowly, then it will accelerate. so i guess my questions are:

what jeting would you recommend i start off with? should i still go with what you stated on the first post? does turbo'ing require the need to change the jetting (or other adjustments) at all? again, its sucking from the carb, not blowing thru, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, i DO have heat going in to the carb, but i DONT have manifold heat, but the heat comming off the turbo, does keep the mainfold warm (the carb is right next to the turbo), so i guess you can say i sorta do have manifold heat, lol.

Thanks
-Mike
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what jetting do you have now? This is ONE time I'd externally reference the power valve, in a draw thru.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure whats in there now, but i can tell its all wrong, lol. i'll break it apart 2morrow, and find out.
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send me an e-mail rather than clutter this thread.

pri/sec

idle
main
air

6 jets total. Most are Bass Ackwards

BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, i was about to ask what your email adress was, but had a D'OH moment, hahaha. thanks
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the process of rebuilding the progressive when someone mentioned this link so I tried these suggestions and it worked out great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read this thread and I have a question that I haven't seen asked. John what emulsion tubes should be in there?
Racebug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
I have read this thread and I have a question that I haven't seen asked. John what emulsion tubes should be in there?

Bump
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this question had come up when I had the carb apart. I didn’t change the tubes that came with it 20 years ago and it worked out well. If they come with something different today who knows but I wish I could have been more help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Set per your specs. running way lean Reply with quote

Hi John,

I set my carb up as close to your specs as my parts would allow, 50/60 idles, 125/185 mains, 165/180 air correction. Runs lean as can be. I'm running a type 1, 1776cc with 8:1 compression and a stock bus muffler (of course, its all in a bus).

A short run on the freeway 2-3 miles could hardly get it up to 65mph. When the second barrel opens, power seems to drop not increase.

The spark plugs are white as a sheet.

What do you suggest?

While I await a reply, I'll go up to a 132 main/primary jet.

Thanks,
Chris
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Set per your specs. running way lean Reply with quote

something is clogged in your secondary circuit, or your float is set improperly.

mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Set per your specs. running way lean Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
something is clogged in your secondary circuit, or your float is set improperly.

What's the proper float level on a DFEV with a plastic float? Some sites say 38.5mm and others say 36.5. Do you measure with the gasket or without? Ther's alot more info on DGV's. I'm also running a bus with a 1776. I haven't got it ready to run yet but I want to make sure I've got it all set up right before I do. It's not much fun changing jets once it's on the engine in a bus.
I would imagine that if the previous poster is using the same timing he had before he rejetted then he might have issues. What timing and what RPM for full advance works best with your jetting John?
85 Vanagon with 2.2L upgrade
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Set per your specs. running way lean Reply with quote

Proper timing depends on the distributor, not the carburetion.

With or without a gasket is only .5mm difference, not enough to matter IMO. 2mm matters, .5mm doesn't.

mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Set per your specs. running way lean Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Proper timing depends on the distributor, not the carburetion.

With or without a gasket is only .5mm difference, not enough to matter IMO. 2mm matters, .5mm doesn't.

I agree, but if his timing was set to run well with an over rich carb before then he will run lean with a properly set up carb. He probably needs to retard things.

So is it 38mm or 36 on the float?
85 Vanagon with 2.2L upgrade
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: