Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManFromNapa wrote:
Gonna port a weber progressive I have in the garage to use on an engine I'm building for my 64 bus until I have the $$ to go dual weber 40's. Going to use the guidelines listed by AirCooled.net for sea level, with some consideration for that fact that I like to go to the mountains (camping in Lake Tahoe). My engine build:

90.5mm Pistons
78.8 Crank
110 Cam
heater boxes w/ 1 1/2"

AirCooled.net recommends:
Sea Level:
45 Primary and 55 Secondary Idle Jet
125 Primary and 175 Secondary Main Jet
160 Primary and 180 Secondary Air Jet

Any tips? I'd prefer MPG over raw power.

Thanks

Hi,

Can you let me know what you end up with your settings? I have the same combo
Alexseagull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

My engine 1904.
Didn't do any jetting yet
who can advice for the best jetting and emulsion tube to use. the bus won't go more than 75 mph?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Thanks for that! Good to know.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

I recently placed a thermocouple into the intake air feed above the carburettor. Using the bus thermostatic hot air feed, which cancels as manifold vacuum reduces, the idle intake air temperature from the 1973 stock bus hot air system is 90-100F. .

I also measured the temperature of the manifold below the carburettor, with a single quiet pack exhaust, where the two ends of the heat riser are symmetrical, rather than one side fed downstream into the exhaust, and I see 140-200F there, so exhaust gas is reaching it even on an EMPI progressive manifold.

It helps explain why I can jet the carburettor fairly lean.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
mikedjames wrote:
I made this linkage for my progressive.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This gives a 10 percent increase in movement of the throttle relative to the cable. The cable also runs straight

I also have a 10mm nut soldered to the idle screw adjustment on mine then I can use a stubby ring spanner to set idle.

What are the lengths of the two pieces of metal? The vertical one and horizontal?

I put up a paper and pen sketch on this site https://www.thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/makin...121/page-2

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
I made this linkage for my progressive.

This gives a 10 percent increase in movement of the throttle relative to the cable. The cable also runs straight

I also have a 10mm nut soldered to the idle screw adjustment on mine then I can use a stubby ring spanner to set idle.

What are the lengths of the two pieces of metal? The vertical one and horizontal?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

You have a crappy intake.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

ok so i put the recommended jets in, it still stumbles/lags off idle but seams smoother through out the revs.

it idles fine just gotta rev it a bit, like it has a 009 in it still, to get moving kind falls on its face from a stop.
svda is functional, tested vacuum signal and distributors armature movement with hand pump.

thinking stumble is related to the bad empi intake as it is pretty darn cold at base and stumble seams to get better if you shut it off and let it heat soak for a bit.

I'm in the toss up of keep messing with this thing (buy better intake), go to dual carbs or a single 40IDA with a GOOD heated manifold.

besides the ever present bottom stumble it is definitely running better now. my 2 aircooled buddies just keep telling me to ditch it but i would like to figure this thing out for once but at the same time I don't want to spend to much or modify to much in the process which is also making think it just isn't worth investing more into unfortunately.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Turbod16v wrote:

now you are recommending to start with

Jet P S
air 160 165
main 140/145 180

Yes that is where I would go for starters.

As for the idle jet, if the idle screw needs to be around 1.5-2 turns out to get best lean idle then the idle jet is likely correct. You can play with trying different idle jets if you like as doing so is certainly easy.

ok, I have the jets recommended but will see if my local shop has the 145 to try and any others around them specs for adjustment.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:

Jet P S
air 160 165
main 140/145 180

Yes that is where I would go for starters.

As for the idle jet, if the idle screw needs to be around 1.5-2 turns out to get best lean idle then the idle jet is likely correct. You can play with trying different idle jets if you like as doing so is certainly easy.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Maybe one or two steps richer to start on the mains and go back to the smaller air correction jet on the secondaries.

Or you could try putting the 160 air get on the primary side and using the 165 on the secondary. Then initially go with one step richer in the main jet and keep with the 180 main on the secondary.

I would buy a 140 and 145 main jet for the primary main and maybe a 190 for the secondary main, but not put the 190 in until trying out the smaller air correction jet coupled with the 180 main.

Have you made sure your timing is correct?

this bus has been a surprise every time, when i got it, it had sat for 10 years.

oil leaks every where, pulled apart to change all seals found it had 1641 pistons.
put it together and it still leaks at rear so pulled and split case to find almost no case sealant around the whole seam that's when we found out it has a 74mm crank and H rods.

so after oil leaks solved started digging into running issues.

it had a 009, pulled that off and put svda on.
it has a aluminum pulley, not a underdrive just the aluminum stock size, so that needs degreed to be sure where it actually is but it has been timed currently to 28* according to the markings on that pulley.

Jet P S
air 160 165
main 140/145 180

now i do have a 165S air i can put back in, I put the 180S air in based off of page one of this thread, I also have a 140P main so those are easily done.

what do you think on my idle jets as they seam so much higher than everyone's reported on this thread???
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Maybe one or two steps richer to start on the mains and go back to the smaller air correction jet on the secondaries.

Or you could try putting the 160 air get on the primary side and using the 165 on the secondary. Then initially go with one step richer in the main jet and keep with the 180 main on the secondary.

I would buy a 140 and 145 main jet for the primary main and maybe a 190 for the secondary main, but not put the 190 in until trying out the smaller air correction jet coupled with the 180 main.

Have you made sure your timing is correct?
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

sorry,
it stumbles and lags lower rpm and lacks top end pull plus hill climbing power.

has better midrange after changing the jets I could.

Turbod16v wrote:
Looking for advice on my setup before ordering jets. I am guilty of never tuning these things and avoiding them but now trying to figure them out!!

I popped my carb open and found it had all original jets.
I didn't know motor was a 1760 till splitting case to reseal!!
I had a old weber i was able to get one bigger jet out of (180 air)but need to get the idle ones sorted and mains but want to be sure on what to order first.

71 bus
1760 dual port motor
110 cam
flamethrower svda
generic intake heat just runs under bottom of manifold from exhaust ports.

currently it has.

Jet P S
idle 55 70 (both Still stock jets)
air 165 180 (P stock, changed S from a 160 S)
main 137 180 (P stock, changed S from a 140 S)

elevation generally under 4k, 1,3k at home.

Go with the recommended 45 55 idles, 160P air and maybe a 190S main?

Thank you!!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

You don't say how it is running, but if running moderately well then just take small steps in the direction you think it needs to go. Be sure to keep good records of what you do.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Looking for advice on my setup before ordering jets. I am guilty of never tuning these things and avoiding them but now trying to figure them out!!

I popped my carb open and found it had all original jets.
I didn't know motor was a 1760 till splitting case to reseal!!
I had a old weber i was able to get one bigger jet out of (180 air)but need to get the idle ones sorted and mains but want to be sure on what to order first.

71 bus
1760 dual port motor
110 cam
flamethrower svda
generic intake heat just runs under bottom of manifold from exhaust ports.

currently it has.

Jet P S
idle 55 70 (both Still stock jets)
air 165 180 (P stock, changed S from a 160 S)
main 137 180 (P stock, changed S from a 140 S)

elevation generally under 4k, 1,3k at home.

Go with the recommended 45 55 idles, 160P air and maybe a 190S main?

Thank you!!
Oldschoolbmx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! I did a lot of searching on my Progressive issues I never found this page until now, luckily I found a Link to Aircooled.net and your article on the carb that was a HUGE help!!!

How do you tell if you have a real Weber? I think I do as it has a Weber sticker. It is lazer ecthed on the base plate 32/36DFEV 160 and 1206. I DO have a vacuum port.

I have a 009 distrbutor that I will switch out. Any other good choices besides the Pertonix on your page?

I have no heat. My intake is Scat, and I am confident the heater tube only goes across the bottom. I think I need your intake and linkage (my linkage sucks).

Does anyone have pics of how to route oil for pre-heat, not knowing what they were I gave away my heat risers and have no place to mount them anyway.

Once this is all taken care of will work on jetting...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

This is my solution to provide clearance to my progressive carb electric choke. Cut. 48mm hole and weld a fan shroud plug. Cut and glued a round rubber piece from an old tire inner tube.

LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

Not Bob Tomlinson's book, but good references in pdf:

http://240260280.com/Tech/Carbs/Weber/docs/Haynes/...;%20SU.pdf

https://www.lainefamily.com/images/WeberTuningManual.pdf
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Weber Tech Manual by Bob Tomlinson, very good read, one of the better manuals for Webers.

Thanks!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine. Reply with quote

I just read the first few pages of this thread. Excellent!

I have always thought that a progressive would be a good compromise between the stock carb and all out one barrel/cylinder set up for a mild engine. My '76 Rabbit came with a Solex/Zenith progressive that had a nice feel to it once I got it sorted out. VW warrenty would not addess the drivability issues but the carbs did work if tinkered with enough.

I have been put off by the negativity surrounding the Weber progressives but John has cleared up the causes for that attitude in my mind. I have an engine rebuild in mind for my sand rail soon. Just going with a stockish 1600 DP, wanting to get a bit more zip but not interested in carbs in the rear wheel's line of fire. This will get the air cleaner out of harm's way and a nice throttle feel for those tricky situations on the hills and trails.

Thanks John!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: