Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blew my engine at the strip
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Well, something gave in my engine at the track. Not sure yet but looks like possibly a piston exploded. Knock, oil coming out top of case somewhere hidden or behind the shroud. Aluminum broken bits in engine bay... stay tuned
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

A customer of mine just blew a 94 mm Mahle B piston at around 6 grand during an accelleration. Not pretty. Crank, flywheel, clutch, heads and rockers are salvageable. Thats it.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

I hope it’s minimal.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Sounds like

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
A customer of mine just blew a 94 mm Mahle B piston at around 6 grand during an accelleration. Not pretty. Crank, flywheel, clutch, heads and rockers are salvageable. Thats it.

I would be happy if the crank flywheel rods and rockers turn out salvageable. Heads are going anyway when I tear down. Case probably destroyed.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Sounds like

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have nothing to really go by yet but yes first thoughts it's either an exploded piston or rod thru top.

There are chunks of what I think is a piston in engine bay. It could also be peices of the case. Hard to tell oil soaked magnesium and aluminum apart at first glance. I'm leaning towards piston because there are machining lines and shape that look familiar in that sense. I'm not sure what to hope for I think both spell a similar path forward.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Bummer Sad

Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a couple of good mag cases. Dan
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Well that sounds awful, and terminal.
If your seeing bits of aluminum/magnesium in the engine compartment.
Hope for the best, expect the worst. Crying or Very sad

Were you ahead of your competitor when it "Let Go?"

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Well that sounds awful, and terminal.
If your seeing bits of aluminum/magnesium in the engine compartment.
Hope for the best, expect the worst. Crying or Very sad

Were you ahead of your competitor when it "Let Go?"

I was Cool
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

I betting it’s pieces of the case or rods

Feel for you, we all know how much time you put into that build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

I have a saying, and I live by it, " if you aint willing to break parts, don't go racing"
I have put connecting rods thru alluminum cases, destroyed axles, ring and pinions you name it. When back at the pit people always ask,"why are you not upset?" Because" If you are not willing to break parts, don't go racing".

Remember, winners have lost way more than loosers.
With that,,, in the anouncer voice Elvis, I mean the rod, has left the building,, I mean the case. Buy more parts and do it again

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I betting it’s pieces of the case or rods

Feel for you, we all know how much time you put into that build

Same here.
I watched his build with great interest.
Incredible work went into the bottom end.

Evan, I have a set of new AA 92 forged pistons and barrels (92 register x 94 head), I can donate toward your new build. If you are going 2180 again.
And 3 AA 5.4 H beams, if needed. The forth one has a burnt rod cap. Crying or Very sad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
I have a saying, and I live by it, " if you aint willing to break parts, don't go racing"
I have put connecting rods thru alluminum cases, destroyed axles, ring and pinions you name it. When back at the pit people always ask,"why are you not upset?" Because" If you are not willing to break parts, don't go racing".
….

Just quoting because its worth repeating
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

Remember, winners have lost way more than loosers.
With that,,, in the anouncer voice Elvis, I mean the rod, has left thebuilding,, I mean the case. Buy more parts and do it again

The only thing that's going to hurt is my wallet and a bit of a bummer that I only got to make one pass today. At the end of the day it could have been alot worse and I'm glad I broke down at the track instead of the side of the road or highway. Oil pressure and engine temp was spot on, it ran great before and on the 40 minite freeway drive too the track. Maybe I'm somehow at fault or perhaps it was a case of bad luck, or even some sort of diver error, being a novice in that regard Not sure but regardless I'm planning to to get my shit together by October for the next drag day. Haven't missed one yet.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Tbh I'm kind of surprised it wasnt my trans to go first. I've been told I've been walking thin ice launching my 2180 like a maniac, with a bone stock used trans and street tires.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Associate of mine poked #3 connecting rod out of top of case... Tattle-tale on tac showed 9200 RPM...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Bummer, but also..... yeah it happens.
Some nice CP pistons might be more in line with the rest of that neat ONE OFF engine of yours.

BUT I COULD BE WRONG, just wild guess.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

may not be the cause, but I’d add a deep sump to your engine if you’re going to continue racing.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Remember the age old saying in racing.
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

To put it in perspective, Top fuel guys will spend more on fuel in one weekend than most of us will spend on a full bore engine!!!!!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Blew my engine at the strip Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
Remember the age old saying in racing.

If you're not breaking parts, you're not trying hard enough.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: