Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAA don't leave home without it! (a Friday the 13th tale)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: AAA don't leave home without it! (a Friday the 13th tale) Reply with quote

Ok, I've been camping in the central Nevada desert for the past few days, (I'm sure you been wonderin' what happened) and today the curse of the F 13th hit...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

not much out here but the weather has been great!

sunshine and clear skies...

camping by the lake...

leaving today I burried Bessie...it took 3 hours for the tow truck, but AAA pulled thru! 50 miles each way for a 5 minute pull...

I didn't even have AAA but this dude steering Bessie (who I stopped up on the 'highway') used his card and I am now sold on the idea!

This all happened at Walker Lake...middle of nowhere, NV...

Moses is happily sleeping now.

I'm getting the AAA!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA is mandatory.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alyachtman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Lake near Tonapah Reply with quote

Hey, I know that lake, been by it several times on my way to and from Vegas. 207 miles from Vegas to Tonapah, made it in one hour fifty three minutes three years ago in a 500 SL. They will do 160, by the way.... Yeah, I know, stupid, but what a thrill!!!

"75 Riviera camper, "The Fridge"
wyomingriviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA pays for itself with one tow! I got it before our big trip down the Pacific coast last year. We needed a tow before we even got to the ocean. If yer gonna break down in a aircooled VW, Eugene OR might be the best damn place to do it.

Glad yours was just stuck in the sand. Not a bad spot to wait for a tow truck!
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need AAA Plus. Regular AAA will tow you something like 3 miles. AAA plus tows you up to 50 miles. In this case you only had to be pulled out a few feet, but if you really broke down where you were camping, a 3 mile tow wouldn't have been very helpful.

I signed up for AAA Plus about 3 days before I broke down 38 miles from home. It didn't feel great breaking down, but it sure helped knowing I wouldn't have to be towed to some unfamiliar garage 3 miles away (and now how do I get home at 1 AM?) or pay $$$ to get it home. Instead I get the bus back to my house (or perhaps a Samba member willing to help out?) and a ride there as well!

Leap into the boundless and make it your home! ---Chuang-Tzu

Please let me know if you do not receive this message...
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA Gold is the only way to fly. 100 mile tows at no cost. I've only used it once, but it was worth every penny...the one and only breakdown in the rustybus and it was my fault--a little over 90 miles from home.

a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction AAA Plus is 100 miles. AAA Premier is 200 miles, but you have to be a Plus member in good standing for 1 year. At least that's what the website for my local club (Northern New England) says.

fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought AAA was only supposed to tow you to a apporved shop, as towing to your house was a 'convinence tow'?
that said, I do konw people who have had it towed to thier house. I guess the drivers just don't care?

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusername wrote:
I thought AAA was only supposed to tow you to a apporved shop, as towing to your house was a 'convinence tow'?
that said, I do konw people who have had it towed to thier house. I guess the drivers just don't care?

I've never had a car towed to a shop with AAA, always to my house. There's no such thing as a convenience tow, it's always a pain in the ass.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
AAA Gold is the only way to fly. 100 mile tows at no cost.

aopisa wrote:
Correction AAA Plus is 100 miles. AAA Premier is 200 miles, but you have to be a Plus member in good standing for 1 year.

I think it all depends on where you sign up...if I use my Colorado address, the best I can get is 'Plus' 100 miles/4 calls for $124, but if I sign up in Arizona, I can get the 'Premier' for $134, which is 200 miles (one tow)100 miles (3 tows)/5 calls...Montana is the same deal as Colorado. It's a weird racket!

The dude that helped me out had the Gold card from Ohio, and had used it twice in 20 years...he was happy to get something out of them.

It's got different names and offers for every different region...but you always get the 10% motel discount. Wink
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It wasn't just the driver. I had to tell the AAA representative where I wanted to go and they did not question it at all. Maybe I was just lucky? Shhh

peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aopisa wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't just the driver. I had to tell the AAA representative where I wanted to go and they did not question it at all. Maybe I was just lucky? Shhh

I have the Premier AAA, and they have towed me to my home twice.....heck I am my own mechanic.... Wink

Bessie needs a piece of wood along with the spare for those sandy beaches. Smile
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
Bessie needs a piece of wood along with the spare for those sandy beaches. Smile

Wood? there wasn't any wood or trees for miles...(I had a few 4x4/2x4 blocks for my jack=useless)...the only thing that looked usable as a platform was the dumpster lids, and they were welded on! The outhouse was one of those pre-fab concrete deals. Sad

It was odd how many 4x4 jeeps and trucks sped by me and moses standing on the highway, and finally this dude in his chevy impala stopped.

What was really odd is he had just driven 200 miles to retrieve a plywood #5 sign from the dumpster, as he had forgotten it there yesterday...he was driving around the country taking pictures of this #5 thing in weird places...he wanted to change his name to "5"...only in America.

Go Figure.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:

Wood? there wasn't any wood or trees for miles...(I had a few 4x4/2x4 blocks for my jack=useless)...the only thing that looked usable as a platform was the dumpster lids, and they were welded on! The outhouse was one of those pre-fab concrete deals. Sad

It was odd how many 4x4 jeeps and trucks sped by me and moses standing on the highway, and finally this dude in his chevy impala stopped.

What was really odd is he had just driven 200 miles to retrieve a plywood #5 sign from the dumpster, as he had forgotten it there yesterday...he was driving around the country taking pictures of this #5 thing in weird places...he wanted to change his name to "5"...only in America.

Go Figure.

So... you and your dog drive the bus to the beach, get stuck, but get saved by a dude from 200 miles away who is looking for a wooden number five and secretly wishes to change his name to number five who just happens to have AAA stops, calls his AAA who comes and tows you out.

Sounds like a bad drug trip.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got a baja stuck to the pan in sand. Got it out by digging with a hubcap, and then putting a scrap of carpet under each rear tire.

Ruined the carpet, but it was just scraps I had in the trunk to keep stuff from rattling.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA(BCAA for me) is definitely a must. I have the plus so it covers our two motorcycles too. I actually used it when I went to get my bus back in July. I was just hoping it would make it in the 100 mile range of my BCAA card. Fortunately, it did. Finally I pulled into a hotel parking lot on the outskirts of Vancouver. The bus was running terribly at this point, only at near WOT(carb self-destructing) so I thought it would be great time to kick back after an exhaust trip and call the tow. So I did.

I learned the lesson while riding with the wife only about 30 miles out of the city. She dropped her bike at a standstill which broke the clutch lever. A $10 part cost $130 in towing. Rolling Eyes
But since I got the card, I just love the lack of worry. Plus, being a member you get discounts on hotels and stuff which is great.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA is great. I've had them for 5 years and used it 3 times. Well worth the money. The travel guides and magazines they send are pretty useful for coming up with trip ideas too.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 200 mile Premier and frequently take a trip that is a little more than 400 miles. So the mid-point dead zone is the only real concern. Although In 12 years of only driving my 2 ACVW's they have never needed any kind of tow.

Moses looks exhausted in the motel. Was he worn out from laughing all day??? Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aopisa wrote:
Quote:

I have AAA Gold. I have never had a car towed to a shop. It's always to my house. I've used it to move new car purchases to my home as well. The driver doesn't care as long as you give them a legitimate reason for the move to cover their butt.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics and I'm glad everything worked out. I like following your adventures. Do you fish? If so, did you catch any in that nice lake?

[quote="1977_L63H_P27"]As mentioned before, it's a 9-passenger Deluxe. The true "station wagon" of buses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: