Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAA don't leave home without it! (a Friday the 13th tale)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA don't leave home without it! (a Friday the 13th tale Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Ok, I've been camping in the central Nevada desert for the past few days, (I'm sure you been wonderin' what happened) and today the curse of the F 13th hit...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

not much out here but the weather has been great!

sunshine and clear skies...

camping by the lake...

leaving today I burried Bessie...it took 3 hours for the tow truck, but AAA pulled thru! 50 miles each way for a 5 minute pull...

I didn't even have AAA but this dude steering Bessie (who I stopped up on the 'highway') used his card and I am now sold on the idea!

This all happened at Walker Lake...middle of nowhere, NV...

Moses is happily sleeping now.

I'm getting the AAA!

I have more miles on the back of a AAA tow truck than I do on the odometer...LOL
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of creating a new thread I figured I'd bring this back as it has good info it - like a few others I read too! Anyway here's the question:
If my insurance has road side assistance is it still worth the AAA membership? I guess as the premier member it makes sense for the 100 miles thing. My "more current" autos are insured through USAA and I have never needed a tow and I know how to read a gas gauge and change a flat. But usaa reimburses me up to $100 for towing which I use once on my 74 vert. Just wondering the difference - Me thinks AAA premiere with 100 mile towing is better than my insurance co roadside. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem (hesitation) with getting AAA right now is that I live in the eastern panhandle of WV. I am within 45 minutes of PA, 5 minutes from MD, and maybe 10-15 from VA.

I spend equal times in all of these states, but they fall under 2 differing 'Clubs'.

Sad
aliennetwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA works no matter where you are. Not just WV, or where ever.

Desertbusman wrote:
So if you carry a spare starter it will be some other part you don't carry that will fail. Just tow a spare bus.
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliennetwork wrote:
AAA works no matter where you are. Not just WV, or where ever.

That's what I assumed... I've had bad luck with assumptions recently though. Wink

Thanks for the input! It's on my list, top priority.
aliennetwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP, I was checking AAA the other day. I'm about to get my wife a new (used) car, and for my bus of course.

Desertbusman wrote:
So if you carry a spare starter it will be some other part you don't carry that will fail. Just tow a spare bus.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA Premier isn't 100 miles, it's a 200 mile tow. Or use it for (2) 100 mile tows. As far as towing it to some shop, the only shop that works on my bug and bus is under my carport. So that's the shop it would get towed to.
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have gotten out of there without the tow truck
Ive driven in sand dunes in my bus before the is only one thing you got to do: take almost all of the air out of the rear tires and taken just a little bit out on the front. If that doesnt work pull out pieces of wood or rocks and off you go(now you will have to take it slow to not ruin the tires)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hurst_dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nica wrote:
You could have gotten out of there without the tow truck
Ive driven in sand dunes in my bus before the is only one thing you got to do: take almost all of the air out of the rear tires and taken just a little bit out on the front. If that doesnt work pull out pieces of wood or rocks and off you go(now you will have to take it slow to not ruin the tires)

That's a good tip.

I upgraded to AAA Plus when I got the Bus and just used it a couple weeks ago for the first time--on my Honda! I've never been stranded by the Bus or my wife's 1999 Ford Taurus, but the Honda minivan got the prize; 94 mile tow to my house at no extra cost was nice, plus they brought out the extended-cab flatbed tow truck (my son is in a car seat) so it was like a ride in a limo.

Not sure about AAA vs. regular roadside assistance though, but AAA (Plus) is a good deal/insurance if you ever need a longish tow.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA towing is just easy. No needing to contact an insurance agent either before or after the two. Just call AAA and get it done. If you live in WVa and drive in VW, Penn, Ohio, or where ever, AAA covers you. Never needed AAA yet myself, but my wife and daughter have both used it for their own cars, the cars of people they are riding with, or borrowed cars.
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame there is a 7-Day waiting period for the 100 mile 'plus' services. Basic service (I guess 3 miles) is provided in the interim...
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, ive looked into both AAA and roadside through my insurance. AAA is so much easier, cheaper, and better service. In fact, I just used it Monday to pull home a new bus. No questions asked, 90 mile tow. The $100 membership already paid for itself.
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just called AAA today. So in New York to become a plus member with the "good" towing you need to be a member for a year then you can upgrade. That said I need to spend the initial sign up about $55 and then wait a year then pay more to get the long distance tow. Seems odd but that's the way it goes. I guess I'll stick with my insurance and have them reimburse me for the tows. AAA for other states seems like a good plan though. Thanks for eveyones input.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

up here in Toronto, I have CAA plus (200 KM tow) the nice thing about it, is that it works together with AAA. Last year I was on a road trip down to North Carolina and my points failed at 1 in the morning. I called the number on the back of my card and had a tow truck there within 20 minutes. We got towed to the local Wal-Mart parking lot, bought some beer and chips and camped out until the next morning when we could put some new points in.

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Happy Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjack wrote:
Just called AAA today. So in New York to become a plus member with the "good" towing you need to be a member for a year then you can upgrade. That said I need to spend the initial sign up about $55 and then wait a year then pay more to get the long distance tow. Seems odd but that's the way it goes. I guess I'll stick with my insurance and have them reimburse me for the tows. AAA for other states seems like a good plan though. Thanks for eveyones input.

Same here in Pennsylvania. I have 10 months till I can get the 200 mi tow. Right now only 3 mi. Sucks!
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Same here in Pennsylvania. I have 10 months till I can get the 200 mi tow. Right now only 3 mi. Sucks!

Ha, that stinks. In CO you can use the 100 mile tow the NEXT day after starting your membership.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had AAA Plus but I've just got the regular, I guess. They said it was a week you have to wait before you can get more than the basic 7 miles towing. -I had bought a 914 in Santa Monica and wanted to tow it back to Laguna Beach, 60 miles away - 53 miles towing, was quoted $477. "Can I get a discount or something?" They did it for $420, the pot smokers discount. ...Yeah, get the plus for sure.
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
...Yeah, get the plus for sure.

Or a good good friend with a towing trailer in the meantime.. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: