Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How well does your bus run? (the path to Lake Havasu) Pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denser air will make the engine run leaner. Could be the fuel injection is not 100%. Or did they design the engine to run in Death Valley in the first place.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty O'Toole wrote:
Could be the fuel injection is not 100%.

Yeah, that my be the case if a '73 had FI...my Weber was set up at high altitude, and I'm not a "perfect" bus Nazi...(I like to get where I need to get) she was runnin' good in Coos Bay, and she'll be runnin' good again tomorrow. Wink

I should add, I still pullin' over 23mpg with that POS Weber. Very Happy
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whos Maximan?
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
whos Maximan?

Hello
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken my Holley/Weber fueled 1800 through Death Valley, not a whimper even at the lowest elevation.
VWBusMan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the photo essay!

Good looking bus and handsome dog you have there. My dog gets carsick (his only bad habit). However, I think it's psychological as he gets upset before getting in. He's a rescue so I don't know what happened to him before.

And, Moses does pretty well holding the camera for those pics of you and the bus. Talented dog.

Happy motoring, Mark
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses looks like a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. You must be good people, Weber proggy notwithstanding. Moses' cousin Scout:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

She doesn't sit quietly in a Bus, but instead stands in the walk-through and barks when she smells the ocean. Looking forward to fixing my bench seat Split Very Happy
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my Weber was set up at high altitude

be careful at sea level and with California fuels especially if you are running any compression at or above 8 in that engine. Retard the timing if you feel any detonation or power drops. We used to see it at the track especially in the spring and fall where a car would have been jetted in the heat of the afternoon when it was humid and the next morning was cool and dry. We'd hear the detonation thuds and misfire as the car passed then we would see it being towed one or two laps later.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell it was kinda idling on 3 this morning and that had me worried, so I went to Checkers to get some new O-rings for my compression tester, and a can of carb cleaner. "Carb cleaner", you ask..."what the hell for"? Well because it was running fine at highway speeds, and idling like crap...Wink

5 minutes after buying the carb cleaner I discovered the issue in the parking lot of Checkers...a leaky intake gasket.

The beginning of the repair...I was traveling with spare gaskets (you'll figure out why)

Things were going smoothly until 2 studs backed out. 1st semi-bad issue with AVP Evil or Very Mad

All I had was some blue loc-tite, but I figured something was better than nothing, and it's held a lot of stuff on my Harley...(double nut install)

And now on to the comedy...back in July when I put these heads on I ordered new intake gaskets from BusDepot. Well, they forgot to ship them and OEVeeDub, who was right down the road, only sells complete kits...so I re-used the two crush gaskets I had, and made two from a Tecate 12 pack. Shocked

Funny thing is, the Tecate gaskets were still fine and NOT leaking, but one of the crush gaskets had some crap in there probably due to the fact that I loosened one side (the one with the crushers) back in Reno to pull my carb and fix the choke. (you can see the crap on the upper left side)

So that was all it was...and now she's hitting on all four at an idle again, and runnin' great! Very Happy

Another successful Motel6 repair...
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can leave this waterless Rolling Eyes state that also has more boats per capita than any other state. Or else stay where you are at and right after New Years there will be a couple hundred busses there.
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Now you can leave this waterless Rolling Eyes state that also has more boats per capita than any other state. Or else stay where you are at and right after New Years there will be a couple hundred busses there.

Living in WA State I find this hard to believe.
I read this on the interwebz so it must be true
http://phoenix.about.com/library/blboats.htm
and one more for confirmation
http://factizona.com/2009/05/most-boats-per-capita-debunked/

Should be a fun new years regardless of boats on those waterless lakes Cool
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo78 wrote:
I find this hard to believe.

It gets hot here so we love our awesomely beautiful lakes to keep cool. Water toys are big popular. We traditionally always took the ski boat out on Jan. 1st.
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
timo78 wrote:
I find this hard to believe.

It gets hot here so we love our awesomely beautiful lakes to keep cool. Water toys are big popular. We traditionally always took the ski boat out on Jan. 1st.

Touche~ I wish I was somewhere dry right bout now[It's raining like mad]. I'll be in Scottsdale next Feb for a biz trip, I understand it's very nice in the Winter.

Nice Trip Writeup 73Kombi. Have fun on your adventures!

Last edited by timo78 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, AZ can also grow Presidential Xmas Trees! (albeit on the Apache reservation) and today it was here in Lake Havasu blocking the road...so Moses and I had to have a look. Very Happy

a big fancy patriotic looking truck! The tree was wrapped up in the back with a swamp cooler. I guess refers don't come in @ 65/70ft...

We were invited to sign the side of the truck, so here I wrote "Shawn, Moses" inside the "P", (most of the "canvas" was full)

In the end, they took an "overhead" shot of the crowd for a fund raising, school kids, Xmas card pic...for sale @ 6 for $15

Arizona's Gift...

I may be here for teh Winter DesertBusMan, but I have to go visit some family in LA for T-Day...

Are you coming to the Bus Show?

Last edited by 73kombi on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, if you're going to hang around the area for the winter there would be no way to ignore Busses By The Bridge. Here's the BBB topic link and it's a sticky in the Show forum. Planning started 52 weeks before the weekend.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=0. There are some real kool bus folks in Havasu. A little caravan of them rolled into our August Flagstaff campout. Nice people and rides. And you probably have already run into Ronnie. He gets his stash to a lot of our shows. Split and Bay parts. BBB is too cold for me. I'm trying to figure out how I can get my bus to some tropical island during the winters.

That truck must have gotten lost. Havasu isn't on the route between our high country and DC. By the way, in addition to the deserts, AZ has the largest Ponderosa Pine forest in the country.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
And you probably have already run into Ronnie.

You must be psychic!

Yes, I stopped by his shop...he came across like a prick. I was ready to talk "Bus, not BS" like his web-site so proudly displays. I told him my bus was running poorly, gave him a few details, and he was like, "so how is that my issue"...(not verbatim)

I then dropped Pete's name from Prescott (borninabus said "tell him Pete sent you") and thought maybe he would get more friendly.....no, he just said, "I don't know him".

I backtracked and asked him for a Dizzy O-ring, and he replied, "that wont make it run any better, it just keeps oil in the case". (duh) Well, turns out that was exactly why I was buying it...it's the last seal I have yet to replace, and the bottom of my Dizzy is a bit oil wet.

Then I asked him if he had any O-rings for my compression tester, he said, "you can get them at any auto parts store"...fair enough, but I'm not from here and don't know the area, so I asked if there was one nearby, he responded, "any auto parts store will do". Not the kind of help I was hoping for from a Bus guy.

Maybe he was a bit busy (not), maybe he hates hippies, but I will mail order parts (if I can't get'em at Checkers) before I go back to his shop. Wink
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
I then dropped Pete's name from Prescott (borninabus said "tell him Pete sent you") and thought maybe he would get more friendly.....no, he just said, "I don't know him".

Maybe he was a bit busy (not), maybe he hates hippies, but I will mail order parts (if I can't get'em at Checkers) before I go back to his shop. Wink

Sad
i guess i'm not very memorable. or he was lying.
ronnie just has to warm up to you a bit.
i thought your two attitudes would get on like peas & carrots. Laughing

if you have a bad taste in your mouth try geoff @ hart performance machine. he doesn't have the biggest part selection but knows his shit when it comes to VWs. always willing to lend some advice. not a T4 expert, but if your compression test looks shitty he'd be the one to talk to.
he's on the south side of town, across the highway from the bashas grocery store. 928-680-6505.

he did my heads and should "remember" me.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:
And you probably have already run into Ronnie.

You must be psychic!

Yes, I stopped by his shop...he came across like a prick.

Sounds about right. Wink
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Freak182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your threads, please, keep them coming and give Moses a belly rub for me. No offense you or Bessie, but he makes the stories:)

Supporters:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Viande
Decal restoration by bryanbrutherford
www.CooperTires.com
http://www.oeveedub.com/
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the threads coming. What direction are you headed next?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: