Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for New Heat Exchangers? (A/C)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Time for New Heat Exchangers? (A/C) Reply with quote

Finally got started taking my engine apart last weekend. I found several things wrong/missing, but this was the most interesting to me:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These came out of the fresh air side of my driver side heat exchanger. They're rock hard and look like brick and ashpalt fused together. Looking in my passenger side exhanger, I saw heat sink fins on the exhaust pipe, so my guess is the driver's side fins went bye bye.

Funny aside: before I took this picture, my wife saw these on the carpet and thought the dog crapped on the floor. I ran in the room and thought the same for a sec, then I saved the dog from a big ol' butt whoopin'.

I've already got a lead on some new ones. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you didn't just go camping at Craters of the Moon?
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a big hole in the heat exchanger? I was unclear as to what you meant by you saw heat sink fins on the exhaust pipe?

Is your heater working now?
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey wolfe, there are no abnormal holes in the exchangers; i was peeking through the warm air inlet side. when i looked in the passenger side exchanger, i could see the exhaust pipe and metal fins coming off it. if you're a computer geek like i am, it looks just like the heat sink on a processor. i have no proof it's OE, but it makes sense: the fins would dissipate heat from the exhaust to warm the air going to the cabin. inside the driver's side heat exchanger, there were no such fins, only these hard chunks.

or perhaps they're moon rocks? Wink

the heat is definitely out of commission right now as my engine is pulled. i have no idea if the heat worked previously as i was lucky enough to drive my van for all of 45 mins before it broke down (possibly because of other problems with engine cooling, among other things).

interestingly enough, the hose from the warm air outlet of the heat exchanger is missing on the driver side. Maybe the exhaust pipes rusted through, toxic smelly-goods were coming through the cabin vents, and a PO removed the hose to band-aid the problem.

note to self: take more pictures next time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you do need a new heat exchanger...there should be fins inside it. I saw a few for sale on the classifieds.

Good Luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: