Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx 2 sticker?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Manx 2 sticker? Reply with quote

I'm just curious but does anyone have a better photo of this original type of Manx2 hood sticker?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks, Dave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it was a while back but I'd still be interested if anyone's got a better pic. I can't quite work out the exact wording of the row of small letters underneath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one of those on a Manx 2 body that was sitting in the showroom of Bugformance in Sunnyvale in 1970. I don't think I've seen another in person since. I'd sure like to see an original one up close.

I think you posted this before but its digital and I don't know who did it or whether the artist copied an original or just wagged it

manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one that a friend mocked up for me, I don't think it's quite right though.

Someone must have a good pic of one somewhere.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David gave me a heads up on these currently on auction, a NOS Manx 2 sticker. B F Meyers & Company is upper and lower case letters. The plastic rear Manx emblem had a chrome face. The other item in the plastic bag is the fabric fender welting that was used between the hood and the body(vinyl VW welting works better)

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
mstevens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! $1005.99 shipped for a decal and a rear badge.... that is borderline crazy.

I wonder if the high bidder wants the NOS Manx II body I have to go with it.....
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching both of his auctions. He also had an NOS front badge that sold for $796! I'm shocked. Now I'm wondering what mine might bring (it's not NOS, but it's an original). I've also got the original on my current Manx, and I'm thinking of pulling it off for safe keeping now.... Crazy!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching these items too.

And it makes me wonder, does the old phrase "It is only worth what someone will pay" stand?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstevens wrote:
Wow! $1005.99 shipped for a decal and a rear badge.... that is borderline crazy.

I wonder if the high bidder wants the NOS Manx II body I have to go with it.....

If they're willing to pay $1000 for just the sticker and rear badge, yours should easily sell for $55,000. Imagine the fees Ebay would get....
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that sticker went for so much because it was in it's original unopened packaging with a pretty cool story.

That's a lot of money, but collectors are weird like that.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a cool story, it was lost and forgotten under that bench for 40 years.
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that I've ever dragged out from under my bench has ever been worth that...lol...
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:
I'm thinking that sticker went for so much because it was in it's original unopened packaging with a pretty cool story.

That's a lot of money, but collectors are weird like that.

I'm sure that has a ton to do with it. Stick shocks me though. It was a cool story. Haven't had a find like that before.

I'm wondering if he had a clue as to what it might go for, or saw the ones that routinely go for between 100 and 150 and hoped that's what he would get.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now we know who bought it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1305228

This one's been for sale for quite a while, and I can see why he wanted it. His price was $5000 for a while, and has gone up over the last year or so. It was at $5750 prior to adding the NOS badges, so who knows what he's asking now.

I am NOT knocking his price, as I'm definitely not an expert on them, so please don't think I'm doing that.
Manx Club Member # 4436

frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Manx Reply with quote

The past few signature kits , including a friend of mine , who bought a mint kit still in boxes; and I have one also , paid five thousand , that kit is not mint , , they also only made 105 0r so Siggy Manx 's , and quite a few Manx 2's , for that Money I would buy a new kick - out !

2015 Manx Over the Falls – Buffalo New York

Buffalo, New York
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't either Marc. I'd buy the one out in Boise that already has the complete chassis and body, with an unknown condition motor for $4k. I can't believe he hasn't sold that one yet. If I had the funds to buy it, I would have done so. I'm kind of kicking myself in a few ways for not getting it instead of the purple metalflake hack job I bought, but I only bought it for the chassis and built trans that came with it, along with all the guages, etc... that I'm going to use on the unknown body I picked up last week.

Brian
Manx Club Member # 4436

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Manx Reply with quote

frizzardking wrote:
The past few signature kits , including a friend of mine , who bought a mint kit still in boxes; and I have one also , paid five thousand , that kit is not mint , , they also only made 105 0r so Siggy Manx 's , and quite a few Manx 2's , for that Money I would buy a new kick - out !

Agreed.

A kick out traditional, for me.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy Brian wrote:
And now we know who bought it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1305228

This one's been for sale for quite a while, and I can see why he wanted it. His price was $5000 for a while, and has gone up over the last year or so. It was at $5750 prior to adding the NOS badges, so who knows what he's asking now.

I am NOT knocking his price, as I'm definitely not an expert on them, so please don't think I'm doing that.

How are you sure that's the sticker that was for sale and that he didn't have the one from when the body was made?

It doesn't have any holes drilled in it so it's possible that he still has the stickers that came with it?

Just wondering….

(edit) After reading the ad, it does seem ironic that he has the badge, seal and sticker in the bag.
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only making a logical assumption. He's had that one advertised for a while, without ever mentioning the sticker/badges. The week after the auction closes, he's changed his ad, deleted the price, and now posted pictures that are of the exact same product.

Yes, he may have had them sitting around, saw the auction, and decided that he should have posted pictures.

Not trying to start anything here. Just thought it was too coincidental to not assume that.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Rick Leddon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that gold body. I had a chance to buy it for $1800 and past on it. It is the thinnest body I ever saw. Pick up one corner and it would flex a lot. It doesn't have the tubes under the fenders and as I remember the id tag didn't seem right. Add to that it was dragged across the floor on it's side scraping the fenders. It now looks like it is being stored outside. Besides that it is a great body.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: