Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Indicator for auto transmission?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Indicator for auto transmission? Reply with quote

I'm rolling (as the kids would say) with the 3 speed automatic transmission, and I have question about something I'm maybe missing, or maybe not. Here goes.

I've got the original console thing that surrounds the automatic gear selection lever.

Here's what I wondering. Ive got the lights working inside the shifter console, so I can see the P-R-N-D-2-1 sequence perfectly at night, but what I can't see, and where I'm wondering if I'm missing a part, is where the lever actually is. In most cars, there's a little thing that slides behind the P-R-N-D-2-1 that shows which you have selected. In my wife's Civic, it's a red translucent material so that when she is in drive, the D is illuminated red. make sense?

So did the Vanagon ever have such a part?

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not missing anything. The position is just marked by where the shifter is located. Simple and straightforward.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
You are not missing anything. The position is just marked by where the shifter is located. Simple and straightforward.

That's disappointing. Maybe it's my 44 year old eyes, but at night, I can't see where the shifter is. I have to do it by feel.

Oh well, if this is the worst problem I have with my Westy, then I'm doing okay. Very Happy

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not mount a magnifying glass to the shifter lever?
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Why not mount a magnifying glass to the shifter lever?

Hey, I'm old, but that not that old!! Smile

And, since when would magnifying darkness help me see the light??

Deep thoughts.

Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am, my eyes are 53. You said that you have the lights working in the console, so your P-R-N-D-2-1 must be illuminated. If you set it up just so, then whatever gear you are in will just glow bigger, and bigger is better, ... isn't it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: