Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

C/V joint - best lube and boots?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: C/V joint - best lube and boots? Reply with quote

I need to replace a torn boot on the driver's side of my Westy. What's bugging me is that I DID replace these boots, along with new CVs less than 10K ago. I bought new joints, boots and lube from one of the respected vendors about 16 months ago, since then two of the boots have failed! Mad

So, what am I doing wrong? Or did I just get a bad batch of rubber boots? The CVs were Lobro brand, but the boots have no identifying marks on them. Both boots that have failed have split in the valley of the first accordian fold closest to the joint. First fail was the inner joint on the passenger side, now it's the outer joint on the driver's side.

I'll be pulling the joint and disassembling to inspect this weekend. I am getting a knocking sound on left turns, but I hope it's just due to being low on grease, and not permanent damage to the joint.

So who's got the best quality boots out there? I'm getting a little "too good" at the C/V joint mamba. I'd rather not be doing this every 10K miles!! Laughing

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I just redid my CV's while I was changing transmissions. I replaced one joint and all new Lobro boots. I think they are just cheap and do fail sooner than later. One axle had some heavy duty boots. No markings. I have no idea where they came from because they were on the vanagon when I got it. Maybe from the off road racing market. I use Redline CV2 grease in my cv joints. I also leave the inner clips off of the boots. I figure this allows for expansion and movement. I will watch this thread.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup as far as I am concerned I have dealt with this same junk boot issue way too many times
here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243777&highlight=boots
& here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202052&start=20

I now have the empi baja boots on the outer's & the rockford boots on the inners
every 1 lobro, china junk I have used has failed

same fail case every time at the compression fitting between the boot & the plate

both the rock ford & the baja allow you to replace the band unlike the compression fitting
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a boot pull out of its compression fitting, less than 5k miles. I was able to slip it back in and peen it back in place with a big blunt chisel. I don't remember how I backed it up for the pounding, I think it involved a big socket. So far so good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: