Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat lifters? Problems or not?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the lobes. If all the lobe lifts and durations are still at spec and the surface looks new you could reuse it if you really wanted. I don't think you will find that it is or really want to use a cam that did not break in properly. Is there anything else that could of caused your cam to fail wrong oil , no cam lube, no oil pressure when it started up, partially plugged cam oil galley, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam is broken in (work hardened) so it's my understanding it will be OK with any new lifters, even Udo's. Udo is the absolute expert on this and he sometimes posts here, maybe he'll see this and confirm.
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally mis read his post. Thats the beauty of UDOs cam followers you can use them on as many good cams as you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cant you silver solder a tool steel cap on a cast lifter and do the same thing as the Udo lifter, there might even be a shim for a motorcycle that might even be the right size. It would be like how they solder teeth on saw blades.

Earthquake
I probably just gave the million dollar idea
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of Scat Lube-A-Lobe's I ran on a 2110 with an Engle 120 cam/Dual Springs/Berg 1.1:1 rockers after 10,000 miles. Maybe these lifters are more compatible with less spring pressure like someone mentioned earlier or other cams. Ask me if I would buy these again, no way. I'm glad I opened up the motor after hearing about the lifter issues. These were purchased new in 2004.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by smkn_vw on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with engle cams i have used/had and heard of great sucess using
febi/bilstein lifters.

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats how mine looked smkn VW. A couple of good ones, but mostly really nasty ones!!!

I used dual springs as well on a daily driver-my engine was well taken care of too.

I would not use the crappy Scat lifters. I learned my lesson once the hard way and do not want to re-live that.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Scat lifters pitted the same way.
I had an FK-8 with 40hp rockers to ease up on the lifters during break-in. Didn't help, after less than 5k miles, ¼" was gone from one lobe.
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been bitten using Scats. Statistically on many forums you will see more frowns and experiences in turning stomachs using "splats".

If you use them you are either brave or believe statistics are inaccurate.

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
CombatBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen 4 different sets in 4 different engines have alot of pitting.

Da bus! 71' deluxe dyno'd 154whp 153tq with large heads SOLD
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382960
77' SC one cab 2 peeps tons o stuff type 4 SOLD
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421432
Udo.B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Why cant you silver solder a tool steel cap on a cast lifter and do the same thing as the Udo lifter, there might even be a shim for a motorcycle that might even be the right size. It would be like how they solder teeth on saw blades.

Earthquake
I probably just gave the million dollar idea

that is a good idea , but i think at the end you have the same price and there is no way to do this , too different material

Udo
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, my stuff looks new. A cam is what, $75? Also, I had oil pressure before it fired. I cranked for about a minute with cam lube on the lobes, plugs out, and rockers off. Light went out, and I put things back together and cranked in 10 second increments until it fired (I had fuel delivery issues). Also had Brad Penn 30w break-in oil for both break-in and the subsequent change. So I don't think I abused it. It's just got Scat lifters.
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
For now, my stuff looks new. A cam is what, $75? Also, I had oil pressure before it fired. I cranked for about a minute with cam lube on the lobes, plugs out, and rockers off. Light went out, and I put things back together and cranked in 10 second increments until it fired (I had fuel delivery issues). Also had Brad Penn 30w break-in oil for both break-in and the subsequent change. So I don't think I abused it. It's just got Scat lifters.

Scats typically look beautiful for the first several thousand miles. I'm confident to say the oil used is meaningless since it does not modify the material of the lifter.

You can use the most expensive Ester/PAO synthetic oil with phenominal film strength. This will not prevent pitting.

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: re-using lifters Reply with quote

perrib wrote:
Thats the beauty of UDOs cam followers you can use them on as many good cams as you want.

There's another excellent brand of lifters called Wizemann (pronounced Vitz-a-mon, for those of you who don't speak German). They were made in Germany years ago...and could also be used over and over with different camshafts. They pop up in the classifieds once in a while...I still have an old used set that I'm keeping for another future motor (you might have to machine the lifter bores for lobe clearance on big cams).

I have a set of Udo's as well, which didn't require bore clearancing for the Web 86C lobes...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice thing about Udo's cam followers. I changed the bad cam and lifters fired it up let it idle, set the timing and went for a ride.
sleef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey just a question about cam follower manufacture: is it possible to induction harden the face of the cast iron lifters much like how machine beds ( lathes and mills etc ) are hardened to reduce wear?.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_hardening

Cheers Frank
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I actually change out the cam itself, though?
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
It's just...man, another $400+? I've got close to $6500 into a little 1915 and have heard it run for 15 miles.

However, it's apart right now. If I spring for a set of Udo's lifters, should I change the cam again? It's brand new, but could it have gone south in that period of time with a bogus lifter?

I thought the same thing; "$400 for lifters!!?" But after TWO rebuilds, that $400 starts to make financial sense.
I had an FK-8 with SCAT lifters. The lifters pitted BADLY looked like crap.
Bought some SLR treated lifters and an FK-87. Those lifters also pitted and took out the cam.
Bought some Udo's lifters. No more problems. Two cars, two engines, no more flat cams or pitted lifters.
IMO, $400 was cheaper than another rebuild.
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about Udo's lifters, though....I had one experience of the pushrod tips mushrooming, causing excessive clearance. Manton pushrods with hardened tips cured that problem. Just and FYI.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got those waiting to go in. Do you think I should change out the camshaft if I switch to Udo's lifters?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: