Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Audio
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, been away (busy) for a while and all kinds of ideas Laughing .

I'm wanting to add some bass to the front area and I think the Boss 600 will do. Already deep sounds coming from under the back seat. For the $$ I'm thinking the B-600 will fit the bill... I wanted to have something less intrusive and hidden. Yeah having a bass box behind the passengers seat makes a great extra seat but it would be in the way of my third row (middle) slid in seat, so that's out.

Door speakers... I have a set of JBL in the upper door. They sound great for the size but not enough punch down low (bass).
Lower door speakers: I am on the fence about this for a couple reasons. Well mostly one reason. Kicking them when getting in or out of the Synfalia. I know that "I" would never kick them but a passenger that does not watch out etc.
I wanted to install 6X9 in the lower panel under the door panel. Who's done this or is there even enough room?

Thanks for all the input!! Exclamation !!! Keep em coming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bass600 for a few months, worked out pretty nice but something broke in it (might have accidentally shorted something out), and I tried to fix it, permanently killing it when I tried to open it. (it's crazy sealed from the factory-no user serviceable parts) It was great while it worked though.
I'm plotting out a crazy system for my GL when I get it back together. I've been looking at a shallow 10" mounted in a custom box under the driver's seat. It'll take up the second battery area and not sure how it'll work with the swivel seat rail though.

I've had a 5x7 in the lower door panel(6x9s didn't fit as i recall), where the rectangle hole is in the metal. Sounded OK, but I'm really loving the 6.5" alpine components i have now. Oodles of midbass, almost don't need a sub. The component tweeters are up in the dash corners and I've got 4" 3 ways in the stock location to cover the mids. sounds totally killer. Also the grilles on the 6.5s are pretty foot proof. haven't had any probs.
This setup with a Bass600 would probably make people crap themselves. Well maybe not, but almost. Awesome staging and good frequency coverage. Right now the HU is driving the 4" and there's a 4ch amp running the comps and rears.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as far as speakers in the lower door, power windows really limit what you can do as there's the big motor right down there. Those 6.5"s fit by the hair on their chinny chin chin, wedged in between the window motor and the hinge thingy. I would say that's about the biggest you can go down there space-wise. I'm sure every speaker is different though. I guess I got lucky.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax25 wrote:

I've had a 5x7 in the lower door panel(6x9s didn't fit as i recall), where the rectangle hole is in the metal. Sounded OK, but I'm really loving the 6.5" alpine components i have now. Oodles of midbass, almost don't need a sub. The component tweeters are up in the dash corners and

are those the 600C's?

82 Diesel Westy
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Home Team Van"]
madmax25 wrote:

are those the 600C's?

Yep, that's them. Got 'em off ebay for under 100. I did a lot of reviewing and these look like one of the best choices for anything near the price.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in a GL
Is that under the seat 600 just to move the seat??Wouldnt it be better off in the back?
Are you running speakers in the back as well?? Iv been looking for a place to put the 6.5 infinity's. I plane on using the basslink under the rear seat only because the 6 foot or so should make the drivers seat sound good.

I dont want to add the 6.5 to the under side of the rear seat because I done want the speakers to compete with the moving air from the basslink.

thanks jcl
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Boss under the drivers seat for a year or so. I love it. Doesn't "thump" but fills in the bottom and very well. I like that I didn't have to give up any storage space and that it is invisible.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
rolfsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
I've had the Boss under the drivers seat for a year or so. I love it. Doesn't "thump" but fills in the bottom and very well. I like that I didn't have to give up any storage space and that it is invisible.

Do you need to cut the sheetmetal to reveal the "bonus" space under the westy seat to install the Boss or just remove the seat for installation?

If not, it seems like a fast, reasonable solution.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did cut the front panel out to reveal the bonus space. I then re-attached it with a small piano hinge to make an access door. I cut the carpet at the edges of the new door so it would open. When closed the carpet fuzz covers the cut and you can't tell it is there. Did the same on the other side for my amp. It was a little bit of work, but not bad. Well worth it to not have to hack into the cabinetry at all!
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
I did cut the front panel out to reveal the bonus space. I then re-attached it with a small piano hinge to make an access door. I cut the carpet at the edges of the new door so it would open. When closed the carpet fuzz covers the cut and you can't tell it is there. Did the same on the other side for my amp. It was a little bit of work, but not bad. Well worth it to not have to hack into the cabinetry at all!

Is there still room for an aux. battery? I have been thinking of doing both upgrades before spring, but will have to exnay the sub if they don't both fit in harmony.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
Is there still room for an aux. battery? I have been thinking of doing both upgrades before spring, but will have to exnay the sub if they don't both fit in harmony.

Yes, there is still room for an auxiliary battery. The amp actually sits directly under the seat, not in the auxiliary battery position. On the Westies with the swivel seat, the space is not easily visible. Cutting away the sheet metal under the seat exposes the hidden space.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195642&highlight=hidden+storage

Here's another thread with pictures of the space without the swivel seat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246921&highlight=amp+battery+pictures
ssf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread helped me out with my subwoofer install, so i thought I would share what I threw together.

i used this prefab box:

http://www.amazon.com/Bassworx-CS8B-Single-8-InchS...amp;sr=8-1

with this 8" sub:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHBUFY/ref=oss_T15_product

and this bridged amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LYCWLU/ref=oss_T15_product

i had to widen the existing hole in the box a smidge, but it worked like a charm. the sub takes up to 250 watts, but the 150 provided by the component amp works fine.

the box fits perfectly under the rear seat of my '87 syncro passenger van. it's not as authoritative as the 2 12" adire shivas i had in my old suburban, but it does a great job of filling in the bottom end and I am definitely happy with it.

best of all, everything is prefab and relatively inexpensive (around $200 for the whole shebang - note that amazon prices fluctuate for some of these items). the car looks stock after the install. you can even buy an install kit on amazon for less than 20 bucks that does a good job of tying everything together.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SSF,

That looks like a pretty good solution. Do you have any pics of it mounted under the bench seat? Did u point the speaker upwards? I am in the midst of designing a sealed box for under my bench seat, but I really want to accommodate a 10" sub, so I will get the low frequency notes. My problem is, I foolishly cut holes in the front vertical panel of my bench seat and installed 2 6x9's (which sound like crap..should have bought a component set) so my space is limited. If I want to have a 10" in there I will have to build an oddly shaped enclosure which works its way around the 6x9's.

Did you have any major problems with things vibrating under your bench seat from the vibrations of the sub?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shorepig, why don't you ditch the 6x9's? Take that panel out and use it as a template for a new one(birch plywood looks real nice with polyurathane on it) and then you'll have a blank canvas for what ever turns you pink!
ssf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Hey SSF,

That looks like a pretty good solution. Do you have any pics of it mounted under the bench seat? Did u point the speaker upwards? I am in the midst of designing a sealed box for under my bench seat, but I really want to accommodate a 10" sub, so I will get the low frequency notes. My problem is, I foolishly cut holes in the front vertical panel of my bench seat and installed 2 6x9's (which sound like crap..should have bought a component set) so my space is limited. If I want to have a 10" in there I will have to build an oddly shaped enclosure which works its way around the 6x9's.

Did you have any major problems with things vibrating under your bench seat from the vibrations of the sub?

i will try to have some pics up by this weekend, but unfortunately i can't guarantee it. the speaker is pointed forward (toward the front of the van), and i believe the box itself is mounted topside down to accommodate the sloping back under the seat. it honestly takes up very little space under the seat (10.6 inches wide).

I too was interested in a larger sub - first a 12", then a 10". after measuring the max height and depth dimensions under the seat, however, I realized that the only pre-fab box that would work would be for an 8" woofer (and it would be tight at that). honestly, if I had the time and resources to build a custom enclosure for a 10" or 12" woofer I think i would have strongly considered that route, but this box is pretty much drop-in ready and the price was right for me. however, if i remember correctly, westys and other vanagons may have different under-seat dimensions, so i would crack out the tape measure and see if anything pre-fab would work for you.

as for vibrations, you can feel the sub if you are sitting on the back seat over the sub, but i don't have any other vibration problems. this setup doesn't shake your rearview, hit you in the chest, or rattle your license plate, but it adds plenty of depth to your music.

also, you might want to consider enlarging one of the 6x9 holes, front mounting a 10", and building a sealed box behind it. maybe even two 10"s...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: