Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lifter compatibility
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:
It was called that because that was the name of the company that made it. They got their name from the electrolsis process that is used to obtain the magnesiumm from seawater.

The company that invented the process was called Chemische Fabrik Griesheim Electron.

The company still exists today.

http://www.magnesium-elektron.com/

So what? It's essentially a trademark which advertises some characteristic about the product.

Darren has already stated that their "Alumitanium" alloy contains aluminum and titanium; so, how is this any different than naming the material "Elektra", with the exception of "alumitanium" actually reflecting the material's composition? It's essentially a trademark (registered or not) that's used to differentiate one material from those used by others.

Very Happy All aluminum alloys contain Titanium in very small quantities.
But Titinium is only used in anything but trace quantities in Powdered metals.
Remember Titanium melts at 3100F and aluminum melts at 1200F depending on alloy. Aluminum is used to alloy Titanium casting alloys but Titanium is never used to alloy Aluminum casting alloys.

If he figured this out he will be a very rich man. Very Happy

I just think the whole thing is funny. To make your own alloys is not so easy. It requires very expensive specialized melting equipment and a very expensive laboratory.

But I give credit for imagination and marketing Savey. Very Happy

By the way. If he manages to manufacture such a cylinderhead from a high temp, crack free aluminum alloy, Ill be the first in line to buy a set from him.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:

And titanium alloys can be added as grain refiners prior to casting.

Quote:

Remember Titanium melts at 3100F and aluminum melts at 1200F depending on alloy.

And at what temp does silicon melt at?

Quote:

Aluminum is used to alloy Titanium casting alloys but Titanium is never used to alloy Aluminum casting alloys.

I just think the whole thing is funny. To make your own alloys is not so easy. It requires very expensive specialized melting equipment and a very expensive laboratory.

http://www.kballoys.com/asp/Aluminum_Products/Aluminum_SpecialtyAlloys.asp

Quote:

And that's how the market works. Take Scandium-Aluminum alloys, for example. Very little Scandium is actually in the alloy, but the alloy is commercially referred to as "Scandium" in every market-segment where the consumer is not industry, but the end-user (sporting goods, for example).

And so what if Darren's business partner is using an Aluminum-titanium refining alloy in their castings? Is any of the competition doing so? Why not market that difference? Especially since the point of doing business is to make a product, sell it, and turn a profit.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:

And titanium alloys can be added as grain refiners prior to casting.

Quote:

Remember Titanium melts at 3100F and aluminum melts at 1200F depending on alloy.

And at what temp does silicon melt at?

Quote:

Aluminum is used to alloy Titanium casting alloys but Titanium is never used to alloy Aluminum casting alloys.

http://www.kballoys.com/asp/Aluminum_Products/Aluminum_SpecialtyAlloys.asp

Quote:

And that's how the market works. Take Scandium-Aluminum alloys, for example. Very little Scandium is actually in the alloy, but the alloy is commercially referred to as "Scandium" in every market-segment where the consumer is not industry, but the end-user (sporting goods, for example).

And so what if Darren's business partner is using an Aluminum-titanium refining alloy in their castings? Is any of the competition doing so? Why not market that difference? Especially since the point of doing business is to make a product, sell it, and turn a profit.

The small quantities of grain refiners are already added to comercially available alloys like A-356. It is generally less than 0.2% in castings but can be much higher in forgings such as bars and rods. If you put much more than 0.2% of titanium in an aluminum casting alloy it becomes very brittle. Again, to use these ad mixes requires a complicated Lab and large quantities of castings.

The web page you refered to is for master alloys. They are used to change the composition of molten metals. Mostly by mills and smelters.

They are very difficult to make. You would be suprised in how much equipment and time is involved in making them. It is very high temperature chemistry.

I still think it is funny. Very Happy

My case will be made from pure Balonium. Specification BS-666 Very Happy
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:
How old are you guys? 12? Confused
At the very least Modok's and my discussion is topic related.
He may not be correct but at least it is discussed and others can learn.
Perhaps DRD knows where to get the hardenable Iron. They seem to have access to the mystical Alumatanium alloy. Very Happy

Isn't ALL iron hardenable in one way or another? It'd be a pretty crappy material if it couldn't be. I mean, what is nitriding after all?

I'm sure Al77(ish)Ti18(ish)somethingelselikevanadium5(ish) or something similar appears in your big book of alloys Wink

You know your onions as far as metal goes, I mean, you've got your own private foundry after all Very Happy

No it doesent..
But TiAlV is common titanium alloy.
You have a source?
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:

No it doesent..
But TiAlV is common titanium alloy.
You have a source?

no, just some memories and google Smile I'm an Engineer of the Civil variety, well, mostly Civil anyway Very Happy
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:

I'm sure Al77(ish)Ti18(ish)somethingelselikevanadium5(ish) or something similar appears in your big book of alloys Wink

Maybe titanium aluminide? (62.8% Aluminum, 37.2% Titanium) Whatever brittleness it suffers from is far superceded by it's absolute strength. However, I doubt this material is being used to cast cylinder heads...

I don't think electrickery works that way

Last edited by Stripped66 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
gonebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The secret is out!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alumitanium?
This reminds me of the same attitude displayed by latest "assistant" at the shop. He would ask questions like "why don't they make engine blocks out of titanium or something cool like that?". Fact is engine blocks are made of special engine block alloys, they use materials designed to fit the purpose. Same with almost any engine part. Or so I thought.....
I previously believed that aftermarket VW cams were made of a suitable material similar to proferal, but simply of poor quality, but I was wrong.
WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE SHAFT!!!! The SHAFT!!!
NOTW-I can't believe it, but Jake and Jimmy appear to be right. The cams are made of chilled Iron. THIS EXPLAINS IT ALL. This does not make sense. Whose idea was this? From an engineering perspective it would be inadvisable to use a chilled iron cam, with chilled iron lifters, in a pushrod engine!!!!! But that is what we are doing. Why???
Whose Idea was this??

The VW engine, with it's tapered cam lobes, and crowned lifters, is no different in it's design than most American V8's and heavy duty engines, they did not use chilled cams, the cam and lifters were designed to "wear together". The engine, the lifters, and even the break-in instructions that still come on the cam card assume the cam is made of proferal, or a similar material.

Chilled iron does not "wear in", it wears ugly, it is very scuff and wear resistant, but no way does it wear pretty. Please see my previous post about the three basic types of cam/lifter materials, and how dissimilar materials are recommended. This is cam/lifter compatibility. Your lifters, unless they are made of steel, or hardenable iron, are probably made to run on a hardenable iron cam, but your cam is made of chilled iron. So I don't know if it will work, it might, but thats not how it was intended to work. We need to find out what you lifters are made of.

I can't believe it. Some genius thought it would be ok to substitute chilled iron for the original material. And no-one ever noticed the difference. And based on my examination of a multitude of old cams back at the museum that is Jay Stewart's garage, the cams have been on the same cwc blanks going back 15+ years. The older ones are softer than the newer ones, but they are all very much the same. The only examples that showed normal wear were very old cams or cams on audi/vw blanks. Some had been nitrated. scat, berg, web, dial in, and cb cams were all at one time on vw blanks. vw cam blanks are made of hardenable iron. If you don't believe me, Gene Berg says so.
But I never even suspected, they all look the same if you parkerize them. I called web and asked "what kind of iron are your vw cams made of?" I got the audio equivalent of a shrug.
This is insulting.

Last edited by modok on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm not saying everything is junk. My Web110 is nitrated, and it fits the cb lifters like a glove, somehow it works. Even with ill-advised materials, this stuff is machined so accurately that minimal wear-in is needed.

Old school materials may no longer be available, and if they are, they might wear out at a faster rate due to the changes in our oil.

I am simply outraged that no-one cares enough or has the education to engineer this stuff properly. We don't grind cams at my shop, but it did not take me long to figure this out. Or perhaps the aftermarket thinks VWs are a joke. Well my joke is faster than yours, and I drive it everyday. Maybe they have never seen a type 1 and think it is overhead cam like a modern VW? That would explain it.

If the cams continue to be made from chilled iron, steel lifters would make perfect sense, as these materials ought to work.

I think NCcams advice might be worth listening to though, thats why I posted it.
I wonder how much trouble might be saved, if we simply used the recommended materials in the first place, instead of having to resort to ceramics, tool steel, coatings ect., or god forbid- zirconium. We end up re-inventing the wheel because someone tried to save a buck.

I am sorry I had to go to such lengths to answer your question NOTW.
But I am glad you asked, thanks to Jake, Jimmy, un-named cam guy, and Jay Stewart's ridiculous collection of cams, I think you have an answer as good as any you will find. So what will you do now?

Please someone tell me I am wrong about all this, I don't like the idea that I have been running a combination of materials that makes no sense.

Last edited by modok on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my old Cbperformance catalog, and to my amazement, it says:
"Racing Camshaft Billets are cast from a special select grade of iron alloy referred to as "Proferal". (no they are not, not for the last 15 years)

And also

"C.B.'s Lightweight Racing Lifters are manufactured from specially cast hardenable iron." (this would explain how they are quite hard yet not brittle; possibly true.)

Did you bastards send me on a wild goose chase? Why are half these statements false?
I can't believe this stuff.

edit: Went to Scat's website.
Says about the cams -"Consistent lobe hardness all the way to the core center (Chilled Cast)"
(as Jake and Jimmy said, except the to the center part)
says about the lifters -"Manufactured from chilled quenched hardened billets" (quenched my ass)
So Scat is running chilled iron on chilled iron. well...good luck with that.

So it seems Cb's lifters are compatible with all current cam blanks.(Hardenable iron on chilled iron)
And Scats lifters would be compatible with a very hard proferal cam(such a cam does not currently exist, oops) or maybie a steel or hardfaced cam.
Does else anyone have any additional information or correct information? What kind of material and hardness are Bugpack/ACN lifters? The amount of misinformation here is astonishing.

Last edited by modok on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proferal was used by almost all cam manufactures. It is also used for gears and other parts of this type.
It is a Austempered Ductile Iron. ASTM A897-150-110-9. Not to be confused with Chilled Iron.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is unless you are the vw aftermarket, haha.
they confused it no problem
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It requires a large quantity of parts to be made when you use the Proferal Process. It doesent really happen in the ACVW world. So we get chilled Iron cams. There is nothing wrong with Chilled Iron cams. But the other components need to match too. This is where the probledm is. It seems like every company has a CNC Lathe or grinder these days. It wouldnt be too difficlt to make the cams and lifters from Compatable materials. on a small scale.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know about quantity... The 8v crowd still has the proferal cams, or at least the cams are sold as being made of the material. Most v8 guys buy a cam and run it. I bet most vw folks have three times as many cams as they do cars, so there is quantity, if people knew what to ask for. I can't imagine a proferal cam blank could cost more than a set of tool steel lifters, or NASA grade super materials. But I don't know if there is any going back. We were given the shaft over a decade ago, so apparently we like it.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTR, the V8 crowd has been suffering from lots of cam and lifter compatibility problems for several years... a simple google search will return plenty of information on that...

GEX has. Just sayin
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know what the V8 cams and lifters are made of these days, their problems may be the same as ours.

To sum up I think it would be good to list the qualities a proper high performance cam and lifter set should have, so if anyone ever finds one, it can be appreciated.

Cam- should be made of proferal, or other comparable kind of iron that has been heat treated after casting in such a way that it has the required toughness to wear while resisting fatigue(pitting). Hardness should be about 50 HRC. Several different processes and alloys exist that can achieve and surpass these properties. Proferal is just the most widely known. Cam should be ground at correct taper, and nitrided after it is ground. Parkerizing is silly.
Flame hardening is antique.

Lifters-Need to be about 5 points harder than the cam, so the cam wears to fit the lifters. Hardenable iron, steel, or chilled iron are acceptable as long as they have the correct hardness. Hardenable iron is the most common choice. Lifter needs to be ground with the correct crown, no runout allowed.

Nobody knows how well this setup would work, because it has never existed for type1 engines, at least not in the last 20 years, but the fact that Cb's lifters continue to exist proves that this would be possible.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crane Cams has been the provider for cam blanks for many, many years.... Both V8 and VW. I am almost 100% they provided all the CWC cam blanks.

I don't know what has happened since they re-organized a little while ago.

Maybe a call to them in Florida would solve some of your mysteries.

I have dealt with their tech department and had good results on a custom ground reverse rotation, Big Block Chevy Roller cam prototype.

It only cost $100.00 more to build.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWC cam blanks are manufactured by Engine Power.. I buy them direct from the source on some occasions. This is where the "EP" embossing comes from on the cam blanks.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they pick up the project after Crane filed bankruptcy?

They are no longer marked CWC and worse quality.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: