Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help troubleshooting transmission noise
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Need help troubleshooting transmission noise Reply with quote

Greetings!

I have come over to this forum in search for some knowledge / insight as to a noise coming from my transmission.

I have posted this within a write-up within the Thing forum "1973 VW Thing "Face Lift" Many Pictures!” and thought I might ask for assistance over here.

From my post on the Thing forum:

So, back from installing the transmission for the 3rd time and it’s still making the noise that I’m trying to rid it of. Thus far the trans builder (Kevin @ KCR Transmission) has taken everything apart and found nothing conclusive!? Kevin has been very understanding as to my feelings towards this issue/problem and I’m very thankful for that. If I come to find out that this noise is of my doing, then I do what I can to compensate Kevin as best I can. I think what I may need to do is take a short video of my noise and let some of the people of our community have a listen, and maybe give some constructive insight as to its origin. I will see about getting a video today and add it to this topic.

Please listen to the video and maybe offer some thoughts.

Link
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it only happens in 4th at about 55mph?
Did you give kevin a ride before he tore it apart?

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tncsparky wrote:
So it only happens in 4th at about 55mph?
Did you give kevin a ride before he tore it apart?

It happens in all gears I guess (from what Kevin could hear), but that was in 2nd and mostly 3rd gear on the video. It also does it in 4th gear.

Yes, I took it to Kevin after the second rebuild and he checked a few things but didn't see anything out of place except for a slight rubbing of the noise cone to the body. That has be adjusted and not an issue now.

Just of note:

I have solid mounts and the noise goes away when you push in the clutch. It seems that the noise is the worst when under deceleration and not that bad under acceleration.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your wheel bearings and CV joints.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
167luckycharm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but this is what I gather...
The noise occurs in all gears, most prominent during deceleration; problem may be in the pinion bearing when unloading of the pinion gear. If it is a brand new item, it's possible that there's a manufacture defect, but hard to tell unless it is opened up for inspection.
I bought a '67 transaxle that was stored for many years (nosecone up) and had no way of testing it under load until I installed it in my '58 bug. I needed to find a bus nosecone first and modify the hockeystick for proper shift alignment. Finally able to drive it, long after the purchase of the transaxle, and found the same noise during deceleration. Problem was the pinion bearing (and getting my money back).
Are the ring gear carrier bearings brand new too? I believe there's the option of reusing bearings when building a transaxle to maintain proper clearance/preload tolerances, but ultimately, it's up to the discretion of the builder to decide if used parts are within specs for worthiness.
Best of luck to you,
John
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Check your wheel bearings and CV joints.

I have checked them. If they were bad wouldn't they make the same noise with the clutch pushed in? The noise goes away even at highway speeds with the clutch pushed in (coasting)

167luckycharm wrote:
I'm no expert, but this is what I gather...
The noise occurs in all gears, most prominent during deceleration; problem may be in the pinion bearing when unloading of the pinion gear. If it is a brand new item, it's possible that there's a manufacture defect, but hard to tell unless it is opened up for inspection.
I bought a '67 transaxle that was stored for many years (nosecone up) and had no way of testing it under load until I installed it in my '58 bug. I needed to find a bus nosecone first and modify the hockeystick for proper shift alignment. Finally able to drive it, long after the purchase of the transaxle, and found the same noise during deceleration. Problem was the pinion bearing (and getting my money back).
Are the ring gear carrier bearings brand new too? I believe there's the option of reusing bearings when building a transaxle to maintain proper clearance/preload tolerances, but ultimately, it's up to the discretion of the builder to decide if used parts are within specs for worthiness.
Best of luck to you,
John

I think someone might have said the same, but I don’t remember who…. about the pinion bearing making the noise. I would think that the transmission builder would take this in to account? Thanks for your info Smile
167luckycharm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Also wanted to add in my message a big thanks for including the video of the drive/ride-along. My car had the same solid trans mounts and the sound reminded me of how my car sounded like.
As for the trans builder being able to detect the faulty bearing during the build process... I don't know what criteria he uses when selecting used parts or buying new parts from a supplier. The last transaxle I just finished was built with used swingaxle differential bearings that I bought from locash (Lester). They were in really nice shape and I installed them after a thorough cleaning with solvent. The pinion bearing is the original unit, and as of today, I have not installed the tranaxle to test it out.
I have learned that these bearings are under a considerable amount of load and preload once installed and in operation. When checking for rough spots prior to installation, a bearing may feel smooth while free spinning by hand while out of the transaxle. Once installed, however, the tolerances gets tighter, and adding loads begin to magnify any tight/rough spots.
Have a talk with the trans builder again, maybe bring him along for a ride too. I'm sure he'd like to know what the symptoms are in real-time or first-hand. He could do more trouble-shooting during the experience and would be able to rule out other potential areas by process of elimination. Whatever you do, be sure to log down the steps taken, remedies attempted, with trial-and-errors encountered. By all means, report back with your findings and make sure we all get confused, er enlightened with the results.
The truth is out there...
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the video i could only hear it when you hit 55 or so.

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tncsparky wrote:
in the video i could only hear it when you hit 55 or so.

Maybe I should take a better video?

Better yet... have someone take the video while I drive Idea

I'll get back on this part...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be something to do with your solid mounted tranny or maybe your suspension/torsion bushings?

You can always put the tranny into another VW to see if it is the tranny or something else in the vehicle-I know a lot of work but just throwing it out there since it can be frustrating at times.

If it is wheel bearings or CV's I can typically hear this with the engine off coasting downhill.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of that noise is from your solid mounts. Put rubber in and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ed Carp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your cranksaft thust. reason i say that is when you pushthe clutch in you are thrusting the crank all the way to the rear. possiblbly your problem is in the motor with excessive crank thrust. also when you are decellerating the crank thrusts the other way.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the engine or crank. That noise is gear noise. Amplified by the solid mounts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce

Would a "AV" Thing transaxle have fine tooth 3rd & 4th or the 002 course tooth 3/4
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, the AV has exactly the same gears as an AT Bug 'box. Fine tooth, brazed on dog rings, 002 type.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Are you kidding? Solid mounts will NOT give you growling noises. Very Happy

I am surprised that the trans builder could not find anything wrong w/ all that rukus going on.

That noise my friend is a WORN OUT NOSE BEARING on the mainshaft. YOu are not going to find the problem if all you do is take the gearstack apart and look around. Probably a used bearing to begin w/. The nose bearings have a nasty habit of wearing out faster than the bottom nose-pinion bearing since for obvious reasons of lube getting to them.

If you have bad pinion bearing, I can tell you there will be teeth everywhere in the diff housing. NOT that.

I used to go to the VW shops and collect all the broken and trashed trans and they are marked clearly what the "complaints" were on them. I had fun taking them apart and see for myself what caused the symptoms. I have also seen plenty of these problems from SCCA trans I have built in the past.

You can count on one hand how many bearings are in that tranny. Growling noises are almost always.... bearings....and bearings. Very Happy

Take it back to the shop and tell them this time to install a NEW nose bearing on that mainshaft.

Enjoy.
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

I was told by Kevin@ KCR transmission that the solid mounts weren’t the cause of the noise. I have solid mounts in my glass buggy and the transmission sounds just find; no noise at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nsracing wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Are you kidding? Solid mounts will NOT give you growling noises. Very Happy

I am surprised that the trans builder could not find anything wrong w/ all that rukus going on.

That noise my friend is a WORN OUT NOSE BEARING on the mainshaft. YOu are not going to find the problem if all you do is take the gearstack apart and look around. Probably a used bearing to begin w/. The nose bearings have a nasty habit of wearing out faster than the bottom nose-pinion bearing since for obvious reasons of lube getting to them.

If you have bad pinion bearing, I can tell you there will be teeth everywhere in the diff housing. NOT that.

I used to go to the VW shops and collect all the broken and trashed trans and they are marked clearly what the "complaints" were on them. I had fun taking them apart and see for myself what caused the symptoms. I have also seen plenty of these problems from SCCA trans I have built in the past.

You can count on one hand how many bearings are in that tranny. Growling noises are almost always.... bearings....and bearings. Very Happy

Take it back to the shop and tell them this time to install a NEW nose bearing on that mainshaft.

Enjoy.

Bearings, Bearings, Bearings….. That’s what it sounds like to me.

Please keep in mind that the noise is loudest during deceleration, above 2,800 to 3,000 RPM’s. Push in the clutch and ALL the noise goes away, even while coasting @ 55-65 MPH, or any speed for that matter.

Anyone have a picture of a noise cone bearing and what it does?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The needle bearings rarely go out if ever.

But the nose mainshaft bearings...(ballbearings) do go out. This is what is growling in your trans.

We mount the trans directly to the frame on racecars. YOu don't hear no stinkin's growling noises. Rolling Eyes

What did Kevin at KCR say about it??
kcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a horrible noise. When he brought it back the first time I was surprised to see it come back. We went through it and put in a new pinion bearing for good measure. He brought it back again and I went for a drive in it. I could hear the noise as soon as he put it in second. It sounded like something hitting on something else. I look under the car and the nose cone was hitting on the body. I thought that might be it. I guess not. I grabbed the crank pulley to see if it had excessive end play and seemed to be fine.
Next time he brought it back, I replaced all forward gears, the r/p, a new mainshaft bearing, and another new pinion bearing although there was nothing wrong with the any of the parts in it. I did not replace the small mainshaft bearing in the case. We DO remove them and inspect them. If it was that bearing making that kind of noise, I would think the mainshaft would be thrashed where it rides on the bearing or the bearing would be spinning in the case. Neither of those symptoms were evident.
So, I changed damn near everything and he says the noise is almost worse.

His cv flanges have alot of wear on the splined area, but I wouldn't think that is the noise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

That nose bearing on the mainshaft is ballbearing. Any little wear on it will growl. Ask me how I know? Laughing

YOu have changed out everything else except that and did not do anything. Change out that nose bearing and see for yourself.

For pinion bearings, I just surface grind the inner race and put the stock preloads on it. YOu can pinch that bearing till the cows come home.

That nose bearing though I have learned a lot more since I came upon this exact same problem.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: