Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO gauge markings : kinky
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: VDO gauge markings : kinky Reply with quote

I have a VDO Cockpit serie water temperature gauge. To me, I said to me ok?, the markings are esoteric and nonsensical.
The 200 degree mark is *almost* centered. OK.

The marking between 100 and 200 degrees are unevenly marked Exclamation

Why? I am still wondering. On a Smith, a Lucas, a Jaeger or Veglia the markings are clear, evenly spaced for easy identification.
I am still at a loss to decipher the value of each marking, even the *almost evenly spaced one between 200 and 250. Could it be 225 ?? duuuuuhh

It is not a matter of importance as we are dealing with a proximity gauge not a scientific instrument and I only use it as an indication of things to come.

However not knowing just bothers me.

Anyone knows?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, most automotive gauges are for looks. A step above an idiot light. The VDO gauge is marked according to what the sensor reads and what is displayed, much like a gas gauge. The tank, unless a cube, does not have capacity that diminishes in a linear fashion. So the gauge is marked to reflect this, non-linear capacity, not evenly, but to reflect actual capacity. Likewise, the senders don't have linear response. I bet if you look at the Lucas (my personal hero), it may be only accurate at the normal temp range and quite a bit off on either end of the spectrum. Which is really where it only needs to be accurate. To see the non-linear response I refer you to the resistance graph of the coolant sender for an example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: