Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 bay master cylinder hose question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbhoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: 68 bay master cylinder hose question Reply with quote

I recently replaced master cylinder, wheel cylinders, soft hoses, and shoes in my 68 brake system. I even replaced the piece of braided hose that connects the fill reservoir tube to the master reservoir. I thought that i had found a exact matching tube just 40 years younger.

It worked good for several months but all of a sudden this weekend my refill res was empty and I found drips on the garage floor. I removed the front pan and looked for issues. The braided hose was soaked an dripping. I could not find a specific spot of leaking but rather it seems it is seaping out of the ends or through the rubber in general.

Has anyone every experienced this or something similar? If so what type hose and where did you find it? I know it must be resistant to brake fluid but it doesn't have to be pressure hose. I just need something that is brake fluid proof and the same inner diameter.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
rbhoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Flap suggestion Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I have already been to the FLAP store and they suggested some all purpose hose but it already seems to leak/seap from the ends too. What they gave me looks like heater hose. The FLAP workers seemed oblivious to anything that would really work.

thanks
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard hose doesn't work. It has to be brake fluid compatable hose. What happened to you was expected. Go get brake line hose. I don't know the dia. of '68 hose. The later ones use a clear line with special seal inserts in both ends. Have you checked with Bus Boys, Bus Depot, Westberg West, and the other suppliers?

Last edited by Desertbusman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 68 isn't braided its plastic.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: 68 bay master cylinder hose question Reply with quote

rbhoward wrote:
If so what type hose and where did you find it?

I used to live by this place..

http://www.oeveedub.com/vw/bus-brake-lines/N-020-350-1.html

But I would imagine with you being in San Diego, you should be able to find some 7mm brake hose at a local shop.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 68 bay master cylinder hose question Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
rbhoward wrote:
If so what type hose and where did you find it?

I used to live by this place..

http://www.oeveedub.com/vw/bus-brake-lines/N-020-350-1.html

But I would imagine with you being in San Diego, you should be able to find some 7mm brake hose at a local shop.

It's not 7mm from the fill reservoir to the lower reservoir. It's more like 10 or 12mm. Good luck!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
vdubzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is a metal tube from the upper reservoir to the lower reservoir. there is a gasket at the top of the tube. i will get a better look this afternoon when i get home.
74 beetle

current reigning president, albuquerque air alliance / rt 66 air-cooled vw club

Look for us on Facebook
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 68 bay master cylinder hose question Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
It's not 7mm from the fill reservoir to the lower reservoir. It's more like 10 or 12mm. Good luck!

Better notify all the vendors...they are all selling 7mm hose. Smile

German Supply
OEVeeDub
BusDepot
CIP1

Or perhaps you measure yours on the outside?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 bay master cylinder hose question Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
1977_L63H_P27 wrote:

Better notify all the vendors...they are all selling 7mm hose. Smile

Have you realized that about everyones year listings are messed up? '68 probably does use the 7mm blue hose (blue for brake fluid use identification). All the 7mm listings show later years also. But Bays started using the big clear plastic line in '69? '70? or '71? I know '71's use the big line. And it probably is 10 or 12mm or larger. The big lines use this sleeve. Notice the year listing again probably messed up since it is showing '68.
http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=5705
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 bay master cylinder hose question Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Have you realized that about everyones year listings are messed up? '68 probably does use the 7mm blue hose (blue for brake fluid use identification). All the 7mm listings show later years also. But Bays started using the big clear plastic line in '69? '70? or '71? I know '71's use the big line. And it probably is 10 or 12mm or larger. The big lines use this sleeve. Notice the year listing again probably messed up since it is showing '68.

The OP is a '68 no? is that not the topic here? the color is irrelevant.

Check Scott's listing...>'73 up...

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17443&cat=397&page=4
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:

The OP is a '68 no? is that not the topic here? the color is irrelevant.

Check Scott's listing...>'73 up...

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17443&cat=397&page=4

So what's your point? Yea, we know he said it was a '68. He took a hose off and put a tube? on. If his takes 7MM he needs the 7mm brake hose. Which good VW brake fluid compatable hose is blue. That's not irrelevant. That's so people know that it is not just fuel line. Obviously a lot of people don't know the difference between compatable and noncompatable hose. Would you know except for the color?
Scott's listing shows '73 up. It's totally identical to earlier years (at least back to '71) although maybe the length might be a bit different on '73 up. And that same type of rigid line with the sleeve inserts is shown by many vendors as going back to '68. As far as I know '68 or any other year bay bus didn't originally come with braided hose from the refill reservoir down to the master cylinder. They came with a rigid tube.
If you are still confused you could go ask your buddy with the shop in Havasu. Wink Also ask him about blue hose.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
If you are still confused you could go ask your buddy with the shop in Havasu. Wink Also ask him about blue hose.

Are you a Ronnie shill? Wink

Blue, Black, Purple....matters not DBM...it's just a dye.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right if you are blind and can't see the blue with your braile. And again you are right that the blue doesn't make it compatable with brake fluid. It's kind of like you wouldn't know the difference between a can of your hash and the dogs dogfood without the labels.

Heres another topic going on now also. Same deal.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387890
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
You're right if you are blind and can't see the blue with your braile. And again you are right that the blue doesn't make it compatable with brake fluid. It's kind of like you wouldn't know the difference between a can of your hash and the dogs dogfood without the labels.

Do you really believe blue dye makes a rubber hose brake fluid resistant? Really?

Has the sun gotten to your grey matter?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:

Do you really believe blue dye makes a rubber hose brake fluid resistant? Really?

Has the sun gotten to your grey matter?

Sorry but you are wrong. If you work on bugs you will see this OEM "BLUE " hose I have never seen it on bay bus's but it is made for brake fuid and is specific for this use. I have some here in my shop you will see it in 67 and later bugs. the earlyer bugs use a smaller line 7mm will not work. as for the line in the bus's my late 68 has a hard white-ish
line with rubber sleve's on the ends like my other bus's. By the way the link you posted to oeveedub is the blue hose its just a poor photo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: