Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

big feet - brake and gas pedals close together
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: big feet - brake and gas pedals close together Reply with quote

im not sure if any of you run into this same issue or not, but ill often get my shoe stuck inbetween the gas pedal and the brake pedal.

to be more accurate, the brake pedal is just a little too close to the tunnel and my shoes will drag/scrape between the two when I let off the gas to brake.

is this a known thing you can adjust the placement of the pedals for?
or somehow just bend the brake pedal over to the left a bit? there seems to be plenty of space between it and the clutch.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have the early cast pedals (and you shouldn't on a '67) they can be bent to the side.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on my 63' every now and then but not that often. But I could definitely see that as being a problem for people with bigger feet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
If you don't have the early cast pedals (and you shouldn't on a '67) they can be bent to the side.

this was my first thought, but before I go bashing/bending I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a 'gotcha' in the process (like, oh, you just broke XXX and now have to replace the whole assembly)
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem...size 13 shoe. I also have kick panel speakers so there is even LESS room for my fat clutch foot. Just have to watch out. No fast clutching.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
I have the same problem...size 13 shoe. I also have kick panel speakers so there is even LESS room for my fat clutch foot. Just have to watch out. No fast clutching.

it's funny you say that, I really want to use those kick panel speaker molds but I just couldn't imagine losing any more space down there. working on building some molds for a custom made parcel shelf instead.

why do all these big guys love small cars and it's always some shorty driving the skyjakked dually superduty truck? Question
jeff930
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
carcrazed wrote:

it's funny you say that, I really want to use those kick panel speaker molds but I just couldn't imagine losing any more space down there. working on building some molds for a custom made parcel shelf instead.

why do all these big guys love small cars and it's always some shorty driving the skyjakked dually superduty truck? Question

just from looking at the people driving the lifted trucks... id say it would most likely be an ego/personal problem Very Happy
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff930 wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
carcrazed wrote:

just from looking at the people driving the lifted trucks... id say it would most likely be an ego/personal problem Very Happy

The bigger the tire the smaller the man. Wink

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont believe that.im 6"1 270lbs.size 12 and drive a 1973 lifted blazer on 44"boggers.i just love to drive the freaking thing for kicks.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a size 12, and had the same issue. I sat in the pass. seat, and pushed on the brake pedal away from me. All you need is about a 1/2". I have plenty of room........even wearing my Danners. Wink

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings

Last edited by Hotrodvw on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem in my 60 sedan, and I wear a size 9. I did the same thing as Hotrodvw. Sat in the passenger seat and pushed (and prayed) both the clutch and brake pedal to the left, about 1/2" on each with my foot. Now it's not a problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: