Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hummer body
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madarcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: hummer body Reply with quote

i have been told that you can get a hummer body kit to go on a vw pan does anyone know where i can find any information on this kit.

thanks
madarcher
connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: hummer body Reply with quote

madarcher wrote:
i have been told that you can get a hummer body kit to go on a vw pan does anyone know where i can find any information on this kit.

thanks
madarcher

IMHO i think thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.
madarcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: hummer body Reply with quote

connella08 wrote:
madarcher wrote:

thanks
madarcher

IMHO i think thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

i am happy you have your IMHO but if i was looking for it i would have asked for it. so if you know nothing about this kit then why post...

Mad archer

Last edited by madarcher on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them posted a few times here. I know they exist but not sure where to find Sad
They actually look kind of cool. IMHO Wink

EDIT

The Humvee is what you are looking for.....

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/5594_humvee_hummer_replica/index.html

EDIT #2

Or a Wombat

http://www.kitcar.com/wombat/home.html
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
madarcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
I have seen them posted a few times here. I know they exist but not sure where to find Sad
They actually look kind of cool. IMHO Wink

EDIT

The Humvee is what you are looking for.....

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/5594_humvee_hummer_replica/index.html

EDIT #2

Or a Wombat

http://www.kitcar.com/wombat/home.html

thanks
glasser thanks looks good.
drclock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked as a auto shop teacher for at risk youth, we purchased a turn key Humvee from JPS Motor Sports......" total junk " about covers it~
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit you're referring to is probably the Hummbug, whose name was later changed to "Wombat" under threat of litigation from AM General and/or Volkswagen, and the grille design was changed to a horizontal-bar design resembling a Range Rover more than a Hummer. The kits are still being made, and information is here:

http://www.wombatcar.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggyboy80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wombat kit is also available thru this company is Salt Lake City. They are a distributor for them. I saw a ad on ebay for the Wombat recently too. www.aircooled.net
connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the first generation hummer body, those things are awesome. i thought you wanted like an H2 or H3 body.
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connella08 wrote:
oh the first generation hummer body, those things are awesome. i thought you wanted like an H2 or H3 body.
There only one style that should be considered a Hummer.....all the rest including h2 and h3's are no more a hummer that the kits mentioned in this thread....funny the kits in this thread manage to look more like a real one than the gm tahoe versions...
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

1964 yellow bug (girlfriends ride)
connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augiedoggy wrote:
connella08 wrote:
There only one style that should be considered a Hummer.....

the army style hummer is THE ONLY hummer in my book.
stock doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wombatcar.com is the company up in Vancouver Washington.

I built one on a 1969 pan an it's a well engineered kit.
Search my postings for photos. Mine is for sale now but I'd be happy to answer any questions for someone that starts one of these builds.
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connella08 wrote:
Augiedoggy wrote:
connella08 wrote:
There only one style that should be considered a Hummer.....

the army style hummer is THE ONLY hummer in my book.

that would be the real am general humvee.....I think they were owned by a company called renco....
I have nothing against the other vehicles based off its style... although I am a bit annoyed that the average joe thinks the chevy versions are a real hummer.... just goes to show how powerful marketing is..
I have seen a wombat.... they are pretty neat kits...kinda remind me of a beefed up thing..
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

1964 yellow bug (girlfriends ride)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: hummer body Reply with quote

madarcher wrote:

thanks
madarcher

Have you seen these kits? I believe they can be built for less than the Wombat and when its done its more rigid, more durable, wider inside, narrower outside, lighter and a more capable vehicle. I think the unpainted aluminum skin is pretty cool too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=766513
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

otto w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hummbug and I love it. The body has a steel tube sub frame that make it nice and strong. When I am putting the top on in a hurry I don't think twice about walking and standing on any part of the body. (I am about 160lbs.)

I have sent some pictures to another member on this site. If you would like some pictures or information not found on the website that others listed feel free to email me and I will see what I can do for you.

[email protected]
681tonburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one for sale in the samba classifieds right now. . Not mine but it looks cool.
budski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Need help on suspension - Wombat Reply with quote

Hello,

I purchased the Wombat Kit Car sold here on Samba back in October. This vehicle was constructed primarily for highway use and I would like to modify it for some off-roading, specifically the logging trails of the Sierra’s just East of Twin Bridges. I have, and/or have had, several vehicles in the 38 plus years we have had our cabin, including a basic Dune Buggy, a Pinzgauer and a Tomcar, this vehicle seems to have the potential of two of the three.

I would like to solicit some suggestions on what modifications would be necessary to achieve a decent ground clearance and suspension travel while still maintaining a safe off-road and on-road environment, and keeping my costs reasonable.

I don’t expect my finished vehicle to perform anywhere near my Pinzgauer, that is my workhorse and I’m not looking to replicate that. However, my Wombat does have the potential of achieving some of the attributes of my Tomcar that I really like, specifically a Dry Weight of about 1800 lbs, 15 inches of ground clearance and 13 inches of suspension travel. I’m hoping that with a little bit of planning, I can achieve a similar clearance and travel.

Current Donor Car: A 1969 Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle IRS; currently equipped with 2 Empi Shocks and 2 Gas-A-Just rear shocks. I would like better shocks and more travel. I have read about two Long Travel Suspension Kits manufactured by the “The Beanie Boy” and yet others referred to “Mid-Travel” kits put out by other suppliers. Am I correct in that my choice will be dependant on how aggressive I am going to be on the trails? Am I also correct in assuming that “long travel” is a characteristic ascribed to sand rails and those vehicles looking for a lot of “air time”?

I have read that upgrading to 3x2 arms, CV joints, shocks and axles for the rear end will do the job but that could be expensive (in excess of $1000). I also read somewhere where a pair of boxed trailing arms with a 3 x 3 rear suspension kit from mooreparts.com was quite acceptable as was the 930 stub axles, flanges and CV-joints and Rear Suspension Conversion Kit, both selling for about $975. Any preferences?

Would KYB GRII shocks gain me some reasonable travel for the front and not limit the off road speeds in the rough stuff, or should I be looking at something more aggressive? I have read several articles that state Fox racing 2.5 coil overs with reservoirs are positively the way to go. I see the Manxster DuelSport is using Fox Racing Shocks – non-reservoir type-set at maximum 12” travel front and 15” travel rear with 3x3 rear Trailing Arms and heavy-duty Torsion Bars with 2 ½ x 1 front Trailing Arms with Combo Spindles. Are these comparable to the mooreparts.com kits?

My Wombat has a performance transaxle – a Rancho Pro Street Type 1 IRS 71/72 VW, 4.37 R/P Core. Should I be looking into a stronger bus tranny that was geared lower while at the same time upgrading the rear suspension, or can I get by with just lowering 1st and 2nd gear? (That was my one gripe with my old dunny, low was just never low enough!)

The engine was built by Chico Performance Racing our of Monrovia, CA; it was a 2017cc Turnkey, 2 Webber 44 IDF e/36mm vents; DYNO SHEET: 121 HP @ 5500RPM, Max Torque 137 lbs @ 4500 RPM; Rancho, I have always gotten around perfectly well with a 1600cc Duel Port single carb, but I see nothing detrimental about running this kind of a high performance engine, other than making sure that I have the air intake extended high enough on the chassis and perhaps changing the jets out to compensate for the 6000 – 7500 elevations I will be running in. Besides, the owner had only put 85 miles on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yah, I also thought about adding an extra fan and oil cooler. However, on second thought, summertime temperatures in our area of the Sierra’s very rarely exceed 80 degrees and usually average in the mid-70’s. By trading off the possibility of overheating with an external oiling cooling system that will leak where ever possible, I may be adding more problems than I am eliminating, any thoughts?

Lastly would be to protect the entire undercarriage with a full-length aluminum skid plate, something which saved my butt a lot of times on my old dunny.

Budski

Three photos are below:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/751439.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/751438.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/751437.jpg
Tony Marconi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered doing a mild build up of a Suzuki Samurai? They can be made quite capable without breaking the bank.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomcar

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to change from a ball joint to a long travel king pin suspension you need to change the chassis frame head. If you want a full length aluminum skid pan you should just have Dave Barrett build you a chassis with the ground clearance and wheel clearance you want.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=628212
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: