Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Welding
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: DIY Welding Reply with quote

I've got two buses that need belly pans. Just how difficult would it be for someone with no welding experience to remove the existing pans and replace with new ones? What sort of equpment would I need to purchase or rent? I have reasonable handyman skills, but welding is something I've never tackled.
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your belly pans rotted away you have more to weld up than just belly pans ,which by the way would be a snap to fix with and gas shielded 110volt mig welder
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
if your belly pans rotted away you have more to weld up than just belly pans ,which by the way would be a snap to fix with and gas shielded 110volt mig welder

There's just a little rot towards the front of the pans, but I imagine it would make sense to replace the outriggers as well, since they're relatively inexpensive. Of course, there might be more once I get things exposed.
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there arent more things it would be amazing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
slow36hp wrote:

There's just a little rot towards the front of the pans, but I imagine it would make sense to replace the outriggers as well, since they're relatively inexpensive. Of course, there might be more once I get things exposed.

Gee, ya think? Post pictures and let us tell it like it is.
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of depends on how much time and money you have, a decent teacher can have you welding in less than an hour but theres more to it than that. go for it, desire for a result is a good thing.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
jazzed wrote:
slow36hp wrote:

Gee, ya think? Post pictures and let us tell it like it is.

And would these comments be dripping with sarcasm? Pretty hard to post a picture of what's underneath when the pans aren't even off yet. Read my original post. My question involved the difficulty of welding for an inexperienced welding newbie. Thanks to the others who have replied and I'm still open to any relevant comments.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he and others are saying is this...If your belly pans are rusted it's because sunroof/skylights/windows, etc have leaked and your cargo floor is rotted out which have caused the rotting of your belly pans. You claim to be a welding newbee and without pics we don't really know how rusty they are. Through rust, surface rust, etc. Maybe it was a little sarcasm, but it had a true meaning. Take some pics of the cargo floor and some pics of the belly pan and post them, no big deal.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
germanrust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzed, they are just the belly pans, so I wouldn't worry about the quality of your welds. The under side would be a good place to practice. I use a right angle grinder with 5" cut off wheels to cut the old pans out. Make sure you grind off the old metal and rust on the frame rails before you try to weld anything new on. The cleaner and shinier the metal is, the better your welds will be. I've never put on new pans, but I would assume that you would dill holes along the edge of the new pan and plug weld through the holes, like you do with rockers and cargo floors. I would suggest you do some practice on making plug welds first, but they are not that hard. Obviously, the hard part is doing this all on your back with very little room to work. Dial your welder in and go man, go.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can rent one of those. But they are relatively inexpensive on sites like craigslist. I got mine from a buddy that had just upgraded to a 220 volt model . I wouldn't buy a new one till you plan on using it often . but to answer your question its easy, if you don't have anyone that can teach you search the web or youtube . and practice on scrap pieces first to get a feel. good luck!
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanrust wrote:
Obviously, the hard part is doing this all on your back with very little room to work. Dial your welder in and go man, go.

Just remember, weld splatter falls down, and you're under.. you know. Shocked
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

germanrust wrote:
Obviously, the hard part is doing this all on your back with very little room to work. Dial your welder in and go man, go.

that just builds character!
025 Safety belts
dawerks wrote:

Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sventinker wrote:
Quote:

germanrust wrote:

that just builds character!

Molten metal burning through your clothes and sticking to your skin builds character?? Remind me not to let you babysit! Wink
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lohe wrote:
germanrust wrote:

I lifted my mask to find a 1ft. flame creeping up my leg due to the shredded bottoms of my jeans Surprised
germanrust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of solid wire w/shielding gas of CO/argon mix will also help with splatter. Flux core seems to splatter more, and leaves a dirtier weld. Also if you are just starting to figure out welding, if helps to have a #9 or 10 shield in your helmet so you can see a little better. Wear cotton or denim shirt buttoned up to the neck.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself some leathers ,a good quality hood. I keep a fire extinguisher nearby and because I don't want to clean up that mess I keep a pitcher of water as well . Old denim jeans (the leg part) do a good job of keeping your arms safe. And yes gas shielded is the way to go. Stay away from flux core unless you don't care how it looks. And seriously rarely are you laying directly under your weld. One quick lesson I learned I was standing once arc welding on the top of a bench with my upper leathers on with just jeans and boots. A piece of molten metal went down my boot under my arch and burned through my sock and foot! of course by the time I got the boot unlaced it was too late. I pulled the metal ball out of my foot with needle nose pliers . Shocked
025 Safety belts
dawerks wrote:

thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any welding store should be able to sell you anti-spatter spray, which works fairly well.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoop Bob wrote:
What he and others are saying is this...If your belly pans are rusted it's because sunroof/skylights/windows, etc have leaked and your cargo floor is rotted out which have caused the rotting of your belly pans. You claim to be a welding newbee and without pics we don't really know how rusty they are. Through rust, surface rust, etc. Maybe it was a little sarcasm, but it had a true meaning. Take some pics of the cargo floor and some pics of the belly pan and post them, no big deal.

The cargo floor is in excellent condition, as are the sunroof, skylights, windows. Of course, somewhere along the line, it's possible that the cargo floor was replaced given its excellent condition. The belly pans have a couple of quarter-sized holes in the front (under the bulkhead, more or less). If I remove just one of the pans and find out the work is more than I want to handle, is it safe to drive the vehicle the five or so miles I'd need in order to take it to a professional welder? Thanks to all who responded...I'm gonna give it a shot!
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion (and you know what they say about those) is that it will be fine for that short distance as long as it's smooth driving and you don't drive with the doors open Very Happy

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
zao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one way to learn... and that is by doing it Wink
If you decide to buy a welder, I would go with a gas rig (220 if possible), not the flux core. If you only plan to do the pans, and never weld again, then a cheap flux core will work, but the welds are fairly nasty. You can clean them up with a flapper wheel.

You don't need to go crazy and purchase a bunch of welding leathers or anything. Just get a good auto dimming helmet and a good pair of welding gloves. Wear some old clothes, like coveralls, and watch that slag falling into your shoes! You'll learn pretty quickly on how not to weld Laughing

Get some scrap metal and practice some lines on that. There is a distinct sound that a welder makes when you are welding correctly. That is, your heat and wire speed are optimal.

I am sure there are welding videos on Youtube, so give that a shot as well.
Biggest problem most people have when learning to weld is going too fast with the torch. It's also best to "push" your weld rather than pull it towards you. This keeps the weld molten longer and you get a better/cleaner weld.

Once you get a welder, I'm certain you will put it to good use around the house Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: