Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Upper Control Arm Bushing Install (questions, then pics)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: My Upper Control Arm Bushing Install (questions, then pics) Reply with quote

Hi all.

Nut and shaft threads driver side were slightly tortured by PO. I saved threads using good nut, penetrating fluid etc.

Is grade of this nut crucial? My guess is that the "good nut" I found is a Vanagon nut but can not confirm grade. (seems ok)

And....

To confirm. When nut torqued down, inner sleeve of the bushing is "pinched" between big washer and nut/washer so outer portion of bushing moves with arm? This is what I see.

(it feels so nice and smooth with new parts and admittedly I used a fair amount of grease between the shaft and ID of inner bushings. Old "ok" side was way stiffer, so thought that was how it should feel)

Thanks. Pics and maybe even short video to follow. (I'm sure I'm not the only newb who wondered how this stuff worked)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three different width essentric washers available, 4,5 & 6mm.
Having the right ones inplace is directly related to the longivity of the new bushings.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
There are three different width essentric washers available, 4,5 & 6mm.
Having the right ones inplace is directly related to the longivity of the new bushings.

Thanks insyncro. I now recall mention of that in Loogy's thread.

By eye, washers appeared flush with frame lip and all the same size though I didn't measure.

<rolls eyes emoticon>

Easy to pop them off and look. I imagine that if washer too thin, it may allow bushing to rub on frame lip?

What size should they be for 2wd '81 Canadian Westy?

Edit: I think I see why. If washer(s) are too thin for a given Vanagon, there will be a gap between washer and end of bushing inner sleeve. Then bushing won't turn properly.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the eccentric washer thickness selection only comes into play on Syncros with their less flexible cast upper arm; the 2WD's pressed steel upper arm easily deflects to take up a small gap (compare the instructions in Bentley 2WD vs. Syncro pages).

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with chris (tencent) on this one. I just replace all the front end parts on my 85 westy and studied up on this same thing when I realized there was a gap. After much reading I came to the same conclusion, it was important for the syncro arms, not the 2wd as they close up the gap when you torque them down. When I get totally done here in the next week or so i'll be posting pictures of the tools I made to press out the bushings/ ball joints to help others and all that jazz.

I say just make sure to get the washers in there in the correct orientation and take it to an alignment shop. I just took it in and got it aligned yesterday and they said no problem, all within spec and it all looked good!! Hope it works out for you.

Doug.

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am always in Syncro mode. Very Happy
I forget all the time that VW made 2wd vans too.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro, Tencent, Doug, thanks much. Once in a while I think I'd enjoy being in Syncro mode too, but the added parts and maintenance might push me over the edge! Wink

Had the washer thing half way figured out, then saw your posts. Most helpful.

Arms painted, parts in, snug as a bug. Started making a little video on how things work, but after take 23..... I will tackle it again tomorrow. (who wrote this POS script anyway? Wink

Interesting to note that bushing wear was bad enough on pass. side to allow washer to chew into bolt a hair. No biggie I guess.

Neat to see how it all works. That oval slot in frame, washers, half moons. Pretty clever.

If I can get production crew to head up a better script, I'll be all over a new video. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil,

Might help to drink a beer. I don't drink except for a couple six packs a year, but usually the best videos like this involve one or two. And a random car honking at you as they drive by - heh.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Neil,

Might help to drink a beer. I don't drink except for a couple six packs a year, but usually the best videos like this involve one or two. And a random car honking at you as they drive by - heh.

DougM

Oh I did. They were part of product placement. I "shoot to edit" (or try) but each time I'd forget a detail. Didn't want to head down Winnebago Man road so.... Back to regular programming. Wink

Found out that a locking type nut may be required for the upper control arm.

Anyone know of this detail?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: